- October 21: Honda Civic Driver Killed by Exploding Takata Airbag news | 0 days ago
- October 13: Honda Recalls 350,000 Civics to Fix Parking Brakes recalls | 8 days ago
- October 3: Honda 'Disappointed and Troubled' by Takata's Behavior news | 18 days ago
- October 2: Takata Airbag Explodes in Fatal Honda Crash in Malaysia news | 19 days ago
- September 26: Honda CR-V Gas Smell Lawsuit Filed in Illinois news | 25 days ago
2002 Honda Accord
seat belts / air bags Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.
Worst 2002 Accord seat belts / air bags Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- SRS light comes on22
- side airbag light stays on5
- seat belt cover comes loose1
- NHTSA: Air Bags136
- NHTSA: Air Bags: Frontal25
- NHTSA: Air Bags: Frontal: Sensor/Control Module23
- NHTSA: Seat Belts23
- NHTSA: Air Bags: Frontal: Driver Side Inflator Module11
- NHTSA: Air Bags: Side/Window11
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Front3
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Front: Buckle Assembly2
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Front: Retractor2
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Front: Webbing2
- NHTSA: Air Bag: Alleged Counterfeit Air Bag1
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Front: Anchorage1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Honda Accord Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Accord compares to other years?
Check out our Honda Accord overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Accord.