CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

8.3

$2,723.00

1. replace transmission (68 reports)
  3. the transmission valve body needs replacing (18 reports)
  4. replace broken motor mounts (6 reports)
  5. the errors were- 1.) faulty crankshaft position sensor, 2.) (3 reports)
  6. replace about 3/4 of your transmission fluid - NOT FILTER (2 reports)
2004 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Mar 282012

Maxima 3.5L V6

a known problem for this car,there should be a recall. no one should have to replace a transmission after this amout of miles. motors mounts are also broken

- , Fountain Inn, SC, USA

May 012011

Maxima SE 3.5L Dohc

Car jerks between 1st and second and hangs about 5-15 seconds between park. neutral, reverse, and drive.

- , Goldsboro, NC, USA

Jan 022012

Maxima ES 3.5L

Hi Nissan Maxima drivers. We too though we had a reliable car, until the jerking started. You know how it starts off small with just a small pop jerk when you drive and you think " oh, I must have forgot to put it in gear" and you realize, the car IS in gear, the gear is slipping.We kept our car maintained as the warranty suggested and to find out that we can't even get to the 200,000 mile mark and you have paid the car off in full.. you can't get your money"s worth is disappointing. We have taken the car to the dealer and other reliable Nissan mechanics who say the same thing..the transmission is failing! I worry my husband daily about the car, (now I drive my American -made car) because he is driving it fearing for my safety but I don't want him driving it either! What can you do when that is all that you have, you can't sell it to anyone, the dealer don't want it, and you can't get it truly fixed!!! That's a suck egg deal and the company needs to recall it and make good on this car!

- , Marion Junction, AL, USA

Apr 012011

Maxima

This is a major problem. Other customers having this same issue state repair shops have tried so many different ways to resolve this problem with out success. If I don't wait about 10-15 seconds after pressing the brake before I excel the car lunges forward so hard that I think it might eventually break a motor mount or something. Then as I'm breaking the car lunges down pretty rough. Both these issues seem to occur only between first and second gear. I fell this is a high safety issue and demands Nissan's immediate attention! RECALL RECALL RECALL ASAP.

- , Saint Joseph, MO, USA

Feb 062012

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

my car hard starts, jerks while changing gear and moves sluggish in D but not R and manual aspect

- , Enugu, Enugu, Nigeria

Aug 172010

Maxima ES V6

Hello, my 2004 Nissan Maxima drags to accelerate from 0 to 20 warm. It jerks gears when I put it on cruise control and drops speed. When it drops speed it knocks. It scared me this morning on the highway. I thought for sure the car was going to cut off. Also, it shuts off when I place the car in reverse. I'm very concerned. These issues can cause me to have an accident. I don’t drive this car often and I think 126,000 miles for a 2004 car is pretty good. I should have done my research better and bought a different reliable vehicle without all the added unnecessary check up charges, at the dealership,that resulted in me paying $600.00 for a check routine check up and all they did was change the oil. I take care of my vehicle because it cost too much to let it just run down to the ground on my hard earned pennies to every dollar that I make. I was told Nissan was a built to last vehicle.

- , Gulfport, MS, US

Jul 012011

Maxima SL 3.5L

Is very sad that many of us are loyal customers of Nissan but after this event i will never purchased ANOTHER NISSAN, since they wont stand behind their product. Something should it been done long ago if so many people have the same problem. My car just went to 70000 miles and as all other went bad after the extended warranty expired. Very disappointing in Nissan thumbs down.

- , Brandon, FL, US

Aug 012011

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Basiclly the same problems as you've heard about...we bought this car with 42,000 miles in 9/2007, its now 9/2011 @ 130,000 and the slipping and jerking is out of control. The jerking into reverse started about a year ago if not earlier, but it didn't seem too important until the jerking and shifting in and out of gear on the way to work has people almost rear-end me because I am unable to accelerate sometimes...

I had a quote to fix transmission from a reputeable mechanic of about $3800, but after reading all of these posts, I don't think I will waste my money on that...

I love this car, its too bad nothing more could be done by nissan to fix the problems...I don't know what more we will do, I'm going to talk to my husband about all this great information I just found...he drove it today and said I must trade it or get it fixed, because the jerking and slipping is so unbelievably annoying, not to mention dangerous...but I don't want to waste $4000...thanks everyone, will update you with the fix as soon as we figure it out!

- , Shawnee, KS, USA

Oct 152011

Maxima

Purchased this vehicle 2 yrs and 3 months ago. I do a lot of highway driving. It has been slipping while i pull out of the garage. Find out, it is the transmission, needs to be replaced at 110k miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which is 5k past the extended warranty that I purchased at dealer---UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!! I had a 96 Nissan Max., ran it for 180k---Not one damn problem. REALLY

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 222004

Maxima LS V6

• CVT transmission

2004 Nissan Maxima. Problems since I drove the car off the showroom. Could kick myself for not demanding another vehicle! Went thru the Nissan route and sent them all the service tickets etc. They basically said...."too bad."

There is a law firm that has filed a class action lawsuit again Nissan regarding the transmissions. The name of the firm is: CHIMICLES & TIKELLIS LLP

One Haverford Centre

361 West Lancaster Avenue

Haverford, PA 19041

610-645-4712 (Direct)

I have now become part of the class action lawsuit. Others should email the firm and join in. Nissan does not stand behind their product! This is my second and my last Nissan!

- , Akron, OH, USA

Jun 222011

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

2004 Nissan Maxima's automatic transmission problems known to Nissan and they will not acknowledge nor repair/replace the defective unit. A great looking vehicle with a very short transmission life I've owned 3 other Maxima's in the past with no problems. This vehicle has 129,000 miles and is showroom perfect. That is the only place it can stay because if you try to drive it, the transmission jerks and slips.

- , Parsippany, NJ, USA

Jun 092011

Maxima SE 3.5L

According to mechanic, transmission needs to be replaced.

- , Millis, MA, USA

Jan 102011

Maxima SE 3.5L

have a 2006 Nissan Maxima that jerks when shifting. After 98000 miles, my transmission is gone!

- , Berwyn, IL, USA

Nov 082011

Maxima SE V6

Okay, so I have had my maxima for 2 1/2 almost 3 yrs. It wasn't until I got up to about 115k or so that my transmission gave me problems. It started jerking, and having issues shifting from 2 or 3. As most other complaints, I noticed it the most when having to do repeated stopping and going. I would pull over sometimes and turn off my car to let my car cool down and then it would work ok. I am a parent and pregnant again so it worried me to have it do this so often. Finally one day, it stopped accelerating, after about 4 months after the initial slipping began. I pulled over, turned it off, and was able to somehow drive it home, but barely. The next day, I had it towed to a GREAT repair shop, however, I needed a total rebuild. It was cheaper than the dealer, but still came to $3,485.00 even, with a 1 yr warranty. I pray that the car may actually last me now. I love this car, its my baby and the first car I bought on my own, but if I have anymore problems, I'm trading it and will NEVER buy another Nissan vehicle again!

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 302011

Maxima LS 3.5L

I AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUES AS MANY OTHER 2004 NISSAN MAXIMA OWNERS. THE ISSUE HAS TO DO WITH THE TRANSMISSION FAILING AND THE DEALER CHARGING OVER $5,000.00 TO REPLACE IT. NISSAN KNOWS THESE TRANSMISSIONS ARE DEFECTIVE AND THEY ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT. THEY ARE NOT CONSIDERING THE HUGE RISK FACTOR FOR PEOPLE DRIVING THESE CARS OF HAVING AN ACCIDENT DUE TO THE MALFUNCTIONING OF THE TRANSMISSIONS. THE TRANSMISSION WILL NOT DOWNSHIFT OR UPSHIFT PROPERLY IN MANY INSTANCES LIKE STOPPING IN A TRAFFIC LIGHT, GOING UPHILL OR EVEN JUST CRUISING. THE CONCERN IS THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE THAT ARE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE AND THE UNNECESSARY EXPOSURE TO AN ACCIDENT. THANK YOU

- , mooresville, NC, USA

Oct 022011

Maxima 3.5L V6

I bought my Nissan Maxima back in February. About a month after buying, the transmission started jerking. Every time the car switched gears it would jerk. Now it's October. I've put over $5,000 on that car. it needed it new O2 sensors, so that was about $900. Then another time the car stopped in the middle of the road when I was driving it. Nissan told me they didn't know why the car wouldn't start but it MIGHT need a new computer. I got them to install a new computer for 1,500$ but guess what, the car still didn't start!! so then they told me they would have to rewire the car for another $2,000. I said no thank you and took the car to another guy who fixed for $980. It starts and runs now. But it still needs a new transmission. There are times when the car drives smooth and then BOOM it'll just jerk and pull really hard. I've almost gotten so used to it that i know the exact moment that it will start to jerk. Nissan sucks but i still love my car. I'm going to try and get the new transmission and hopefully that'll be it.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 152011

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I PURCHASED MY 2004 NISSAN MAXIMA IN 07/2004 BRAND NEW AND WITHIN 6 MONTHS THE TRANSMISSION WAS NEEDING TO BE REPLACED. THANK GOD IT WAS UNDER WARRANTY AT THAT TIME. TWO YEARS AGO I HAD THE MOTOR MOUNTS REPLACED BECAUSE OF JERKING AND NOW 07/2011 THE JERKING HAS BEGUN AGAIN...... I WENT TO A TRANSMISSION SHOP HE RAN A DIAGNOSTIC TEST AND SAID IT'S NOT MY TRANSMISSION. THEN I WENT TO ANOTHER CREDIBLE AUTO SHOP AND THEY SAID I HAVE (2) BROKEN MOTOR MOUNTS WHICH NEED TO BE REPLACED, $600 WITH PARTS / LABOR COMBINED.

EVERYDAY I DRIVE TO WORK I FEEL SO UNSAFE.... MOSTLY ON THE WAY HOME AFTER DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 1 HOUR, GOING UP THE 60 FWY EASTBOUND BEFORE REACHING THE I-215 HWY, I FEEL THE JERKING AND SHIFTING OF GEARS IF IM GOING UP THE ON-RAMP, HOW EMBARRASSING. I SOMETIMES PULL OVER TO THE SIDE AND LET OTHER CARS GO BY ME. I'M A SINGLE MOM RAISING 2 DAUGHTERS, ONE TO GRADUATE THIS YEAR AND I DON'T HAVE THE EXTRA MONEY TO REPAIR MY VEHICLE. WE NEED TO BAND TOGETHER NISSAN OWNERS AND COMPLAIN TO RECALL THIS VEHICLES AND IT'S ONGOING PROBLEMS. I'M GLAD I'M NOT CRAZY AND NOT ALONE, BUT CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE TO GO FIX IT FOR LESS? I'M AFRAID OF SHADY MECHANICS. A FRIEND SAID HE CAN GET THE MOTOR MOUNTS FOR $85-FRONT/$110 FOR TRANSMISSION MOTOR MOUNT-FRONT LEFT. BUT SOME TESTIMONIES SAY THEY GOT THE MOUNTS FIXED, BUT STILL HAD THE JERKING! IM NOW TERRIFIED AT WASTING MY MONEY....I WOULD TRADE IT IN, BUT WE DON'T GET MUCH, SAD TO SAY...... ANY ADVICE FOR ME? APPRECIATED

- , Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Mar 072011

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Might as well add one more name to the long list of 04 Maxmia owners with transmission problems. I bought this car because of the "quality" product Nissan was known for. A great award winning V6 with a crap transmission. I have the same hard shifting along with a great quality THUNK when put in reverse. I had been told this car would last forever and known people with older models still driving them with no problems. Here I have a car barely with 50,000 miles and I am told I need a new transmission.

I should have stuck with GM or Ford everyone I had I sold had over 150,000 miles. I wish now more than ever that deer would not have totaled my Buick or would not have seen that great looking Maxmia. I would not even complain if Nissan would HONOR (aren't the Japanese known for that?) the problem and replace it. Nissan stand behind your product and maybe get some loyal customers! I may try Toyota or Honda next maybe they are honorable.

- , Statesville, NC, USA

Apr 212010

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Like many others my transmission jerks while shifting gears. Searched in the Forums especially for Maxima ( Maxima.org ) and Carcomplaints.com and NHTSA.com and found out that many others are experiencing the same problem at this mileage ( Mine is 87000 ). I have all the service records and Transmission Fluid has been changed regularly. ECM and TCM was upgraded couple of months back. Nissan should do something about it, this is a fault at the transmission design. So many customer complaints can not be wrong.

- , Torrance, CA, USA

Oct 122011

Maxima SE V6

I am truly pissed to have a nice car like this to be acting up. I haven't had the car 6 months and its jerking & have a winding sound. Then they want to charge all this money to repair it. just don't make any sense.

- , McRae, GA, USA