ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2002 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 6 of 12)

Nov 132012

Impala 6-cyl

Intake manifold leak, replaced the engine. Intermediate no starts, vehicle cuts off in 5 mins of driving, turn signals works sometimes.. car is dangerous to drive and I have almost had several accidents because of the issues.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Dec 052012

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while parked the fuel gauge reading fluctuated from full to empty. The failure occurred intermittently. Additionally, the headlights would not illuminate when the contact turned the exterior switch to the on position. The contact also noticed the multifuntion window switch would not operate any of the windows when the exterior lighting was not operating. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated the sending unit relay would have to be replaced to repair the fuel gauge failure. The multi function switch would have to be replaced the repair the electrical failure with the exterior lighting and windows. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 122007

Impala 6-cyl

Safety flashes on dashboard and car will not start for 10 to 15 minutes. It happens totally at random times in all kinds of weather. Disconnecting the battery does not help nor does resetting a fuse with a kill switch. This is a widely known problem why isn't there a recall" I was told from a dealer it was a computer issue and could be fixed for around 1000 dollars. I want to buy american cars but do I have to suffer because of this choice" what an awful inconvenience.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Feb 102011

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the air bag and security warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The dealer was notified and stated that the failure could have been that the BCM module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 162,000.

- Racine, WI, USA

Nov 122012

Impala

At 10:00 P.M., driver started the vehicle (cold) and pulled away from curb stopping at a stop sign 100 feet ahead. As driver pulled away from the curb, the dash lights (seat belt, ABS, airbag, etc.) and tachometer began to intermittently flash/ fluctuate. Driver proceeded to take a right turn onto a main road when the driver's side head curtain airbag inadvertently deployed from the driver's seat back. Driver immediately stopped the car and pulled off into a parking lot to call for assistance.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Mar 072005

Impala

The passlock system has been failing me since 2005. The car starts when it feels like it. I have been stranded for 6 months, late to work, and mentally stressed thanks to this problem. Everyday for the last 7 years I have experienced this problem. In 2005 I had the BCM replaced, and GM blamed the problem on the viper alarm system. As of last week General Motors cut a new key, because the old key was stated as the problem. Now that the problem still exist GM informs me that I need to replace the ignition. This has to be a form of rape. I am a veteran, university student, and a part-time worker, so my vehicle is very much needed. My family and friends have to continuously watch me struggle due to this vehicle issue. I guess this is the thanks you get for being a hard working american.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Sep 302012

Impala

Parked car gauges went crazy with a sound coming from the glove compartment. Bad BCM.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 142005

Impala

Parked and turned off car, gauges, locks and lights went crazy. Car would not restart and electrical system continued to go crazy eventually the battery exploded and everything turned off. Dealership determined it was the BCM. 6 years later BCM is bad again.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 032003

Impala 6-cyl

Problems began almost immediately with digital gear indicator, dash, and other lights going out and coming back on. Got no satisfactory response from manufacturer and now cluster has gone out, switch out, low coolant light stays on. At times acrid smell in vehicle.

- Palmerdale, AL, USA

Sep 012011

Impala 6-cyl

My turn signals work intermittently. Sometimes not at all and sometimes have to activate flashers on and off. Sometimes lites won't turn all the way off when I park they will make a chiming sound and I will turn them on and off til it stops.

- Montgomery, IL, USA

Jun 162012

Impala 6-cyl

For the past 2-3 years the security light will come on and flash about 10 minutes. During that time I have to sit with the key in the ignition and the ignition switched back until the security light stops, which then the care will start. About a month ago same constant problem except now after the security light stops flashing car won't start at all. I've gotten new battery and had alternator checked and both are good. The security pass code dealing with the keys or some mess I was told which will cost $500.-$600. Omg!!!!! really. Is there a recall or something for this. GMC please do better. Last american made car that I will purchase.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Jun 062012

Impala

Car won't start and car will just turn off while im driving, its not safe to drive.

- Falfurrias , TX, USA

Jul 072008

Impala

While driving at night on I127 highway, with my dim lights on and cars passing me, my dims go blank. Nothing. I had to quickly pull over and make adjustments to find the problem. After about a dozen episodes of these I find that my bright lights would still operate. After I'd get home I would shut the engine off and wait a few minutes and restart the engine and my dims would come back on !!!!! I have cleaned the little signal switch on the front dash but they still go off at any time of the night. I have come close to a few accidents. Please help ! I have talked with several mechanics and rookies but they were stumped. This is a safety issue and should be addressed.

- Dewitt, MI, USA

Dec 022009

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the head lights and the instrument panel lamps failed. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 159,000.

- Falmouth, KY, USA

May 272012

Impala 6-cyl

Went to turn on the car; all lights locks radio windows worked. When I turned key to on position car would not turn on. Security light and check engine lights would come on. Car wouldn't turn on for ten minutes then it turned on. Also, while driving security light will come on and stay on until car is turn off and back on. Sometimes security light will stay on. In addition, to security light and car not wanting to turn on, turn signals will randomly stop working and I have to turn hazard lights on and off to get turn signals to work again.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 122011

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the headlights malfunctioned when switching from low beams to high beams. The manufacturer was notified, but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was now experiencing another new safety concern in regards to the pass lock, where the components were wearing out. The security system would not recognize the key when it was inserted into the ignition. This locked the contact in the vehicle and prevented it from starting. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle had not been driven since this pass lock failure. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileages were 102,000.

- Milbrook, AL, USA

Feb 062006

Impala

Turn signals work intermediately. This is a very common issue with Impala. Very dangerous when I signal I don't know if it is going to work. I have almost caused multiple accidents because of this issue. I complained multiple times to the dealer but they claimed nothing was wrong. As soon as I hit the 100,000 mile mark they all of a sudden have a solution. This should be fixed by the dealer because of the number of times it's been reported. There is obviously something going on with the switch.

- Grrensboro, NC, USA

Jan 012012

Impala 6-cyl

Car cranks when it wants too it cranks up and sometime is does not.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Sep 022009

Impala 6-cyl

Air bag light has been diagnostic by, authorized Chevy dealer, as needing to be replaced. Estimated cost of the part $703 plus tax and shipping. This is a part that should last the life of the vehicle, especially at that price. I was told, there is recalls in reference the safety air bag system for 2002 Chevy Impala's.was this part included in the recall ? if not, this part should be, or at least made available to the end customer at the manufacturers cost. I am a continues General Motors customer since 1987. This 2002 Impala has given me electrical problems since I purchased it. I am at the point of looking at different product lines. I am very interested in GM response to this.

- Hamden, CT, USA

Dec 232010

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start intermittently after driving a short distance. When the failure occurred, the security warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The dealer informed the contact that the pass lock 2 function had a failed pass lock sensor. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was 127,000 and the failure mileage was 115,000.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA