ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2002 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Jul 012018

Impala

ABS is kicking back and traction control is coming on for no given reason making stopping the car increasingly hard at slow speeds. Inevitably causing the ABS and service traction control lights to come on the light is now staying on as soon as the car is turned on. Took the car to the shop to attempt to find the problem being told it is an electrical grounding problem also makes the headlights flicker when doing this

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Jan 012010

Impala

You put the key in the ignition and it doesnt turn. The steering wheel is free there is nothing else wrong. You have to sit there forever moving the key in every which way. To hopefully find the right combination to get the car to start.

- Valley, NE, USA

Sep 242014

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. After the vehicle was repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system), the vehicle failed to operate. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was wired to a starter to operate. The vehicle was taken to century Chevrolet (6105 West 120th ave, broomfield, co), but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 144,598.

- West Minister, CO, USA

Mar 072018

Impala

Car randomly locks me out for 10 minutes, this should be a recall. These cars are sh*t. Constantly leaves me stranded. Passlock security code, security light flashes for 10 minutes.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Jul 012017

Impala

The power door locks are not working. When you try to start the car, the security light comes on and the car will not crank or turn over. In the rare instance you do get it to start, if you turn it off, it will not start again (anywhere from an hour to two weeks or more). I have done my research online and there are literally thousands of people whom own GM cars that are having the same problem with no solution. I cannot get help from anyone and am frustrated beyond reason, so hopefully you can do your research and figure this out! I cannot depend on this car and I am disabled!

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Aug 202014

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. While the vehicle was stationary, the ignition failed. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start when prompted. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was determined that an ignition lock failure occurred. The independent mechanic replaced the ignition key lock, cylinder, and ignition switch on the vehicle. The dealer was not contacted about the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 12/13/2017 consumer stated several dealers were contacted and no help with faulty "key fob". updated 7/20/18

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 012016

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while attempting to start the vehicle, the security sensor light illuminated and the vehicle would shut off. The contact disconnected the automotive battery and waited. Approximately 10 minutes later, the vehicle started and operated as normal. The contact indicated that when the failure occurred, the door locks would not operate. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. Upated 12/04/2017

- Urbana, OH, USA

Sep 192016

Impala

I am tired of my car not starting, especially when I need to go to work. This has happened quit a few times. I have to wait 10 min. For it to start or keep trying till it starts. I have a new battery. This has happened late at night too.

- West Caldwell, NJ, USA

Sep 012016

Impala

My car will not crank or start..... it has something to do with the security system so I'm told...... this is a safety hazard....this happens often when I'm far away from home! I have the key but the security system still shuts the car down... this time I went in the store for 10 minutes, when I returned to go home the car would not start.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 042016

Impala

For awhile my car has been having starting problems, at random times it does not start and it takes ten minutes from the first time I turn the key to start. Recently it started shutting down (as far as dashboard functions and the motor kills) bounty for a brief moment as I am driving I noticed it does it whenever I used the turn signals and it also makes a buzzing type noise when I use the turn signals then it goes away. Now my car won┐T start at all, ive had my battery and alternator both tested and they both came back fine.

- Houma, LA, USA

Aug 252016

Impala

Security light blinks and car will not start. Have to wait 10 minutes until the light stops blinking and try to start it again.

- Warren, MI, USA

May 222009

Impala

My 3.8 is under recall but apparently dealership can't get oil leak repair parts. The leak is all over the starter now and usually it doesn't work. I need to get this taken care of. Can I get a refund if independent does the work?

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Mar 102013

Impala

My car does not make a sound when I try to turn it on sometimes. I'll have to keep turning the key from the off position to the start position several times until it finally comes on. I have had my ignition switch checked and was told it is fine. This is a very random issue being it will have today and not happen again till like 6 months and will happen for 3 days in a row. Then won't happen till the next year and will only happen for a day. It is very irritating being it has made me late for work in the past and there is no way for me to determine when it might happen again. It doesn't matter if it sat over night or if I just drove it got out and then got back in, it's just completely random.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Jul 072016

Impala

Recall N140350. Attempted to have vehicle serviced at jim glover on the river in tulsa, ok. Was constantly told that my request for service was sent sling to their service department and I would hear from then shortly. Every time I contacted them, I wad told the same thing. No communication whatsoever, other than from their sales department trying to sell me another car. After a week of getting the run around and no communication other than "you'll be heading from them, " I'm assuming that they don't want to actually help me, since they wont make any money off of me.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Sep 092015

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the map sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 350,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 08/02/16 the consumer stated the turn signal, ac, daytime running lights, interior lights and security system worked intermittently. Updated 08/08/16.

- Holladay, TN, USA

Dec 152015

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning, the brake pedal seized, and the contact coasted the vehicle over to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and later taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was then taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the security system shutdown and needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling) and stated that the part needed for the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 312016

Impala

My back lights and dashboard does not work

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 142016

Impala

Car was parked I started it and began driving my ABS just went crazy. The pump was trying to engage over and over again even while driving. When I hit the ABS off button this problem continued. I feel this car could at anytime have something in the break or tire area just compeletly fail. Along with another list of issues including burning oil from the gasket. Please tell me if there is anything that can be done.

- Fremont, NE, USA

Mar 122016

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that there was oil leaking from the vehicle. On one occasion while driving, there was a odor of burning oil and then suddenly there was a fire near the engine. The front passenger was able to extinguish the flames under the hood. The driver, the front passenger and rear child passenger inhaled smoke due to the fire that affected their breathing. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to be repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 119,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Davin, WV, USA

Feb 252016

Impala

Had vehicle in shop to repair recall for oil on manifold. Within a week of that being repaired I started smelling something electrical buring under the hood of my car. We were driving for about 2 minutes when it first started, we stopped looked under hood didn't see anything but could continue to smell it. Checked fuses they were all good, checked under the car still good. Nothing oiutof the ordinary but could still smell something burning.

- Ithaca, NY, USA