ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

1.0

1996 Chevrolet Suburban brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Chevrolet Suburban:

1996 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments

Nov 012010

Suburban 8-cyl

November 2010, I went to stop, the brake pedal went to the floor. I was able to stop using the parking brake, but was very close to rear-ending a carload of people. I had the truck towed to a repair shop. The mechanic told me that the front brake line had rusted out because it was mounted at the factory to the front axle on this 4-wheel drive truck causing it to vibrate and collect debris on it leading to a premature failure due to rust. In December 2012, again when I went to stop from about 55 mph on the freeway, the brake pedal again went almost completely to the floor, but again I was able to stop before hitting another vehicle by using the parking brake and running up on the shoulder of the freeway. The mechanic told me that this time the rear brake line had rusted out at the "T - intersection" where the brake line runs from the front master cylinder to the rear axle and splits into 2 lines at the T intersection. The mechanic told me that this was a very common problem on these trucks as it was a bad design, because the T lays in a recessed holder attached to the rear axle, allowing dirt, salt and wetness to accumulate in this area and cause premature rust and failure of the brake lines. Third, last week, while driving, I noticed a raw gas smell and stopped the vehicle. Again I had to have it towed as gas was pouring out of the fuel line by the gas filter on the driver's side rear wheel. This was towed to a different mechanic's repair shop who again showed me that the metal fuel line had rusted out due to its being mounted to the frame rail, causing salt, dirt and debris to accumulate there also. He warned me that these trucks frequently catch fire when these high pressure fuel injection lines rust out. He said he had seen 5 of these trucks burned in just the last 2 years at his small shop.please help. These trucks are inherently dangerously designed to fail.

- Saint Clair, MI, USA