- October 22: Ford Explorer Class-Action Settlement Awaits Appeal Court news | 2 days ago
- October 21: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Lawsuit Filed by Police Officer news | 3 days ago
- October 18: Ford Recalls 1.3 Million F-150 and Super Duty Trucks recalls | 6 days ago
- October 17: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Recall Needed, Safety Group Says news | 7 days ago
- October 13: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Fears Will Be Calmed news | 11 days ago
2001 Ford Escape (Page 2 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 118,589 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 23 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace the damn thing (11 reports)
- not sure (5 reports)
- rebuild the transmission (5 reports)
- junk it (1 reports)
- replaced nuetral safety switch (1 reports)