- June 13: Ford Recalls 27 Edge, Fusion and Lincoln MKZ Vehicles recalls | 6 days ago
- June 13: Ford Recalls F-650 and F-750 Over Brake Hose Problems recalls | 6 days ago
- June 13: Ford Recalls F-150s, Expeditions and Lincoln Navigators recalls | 6 days ago
- June 9: MyFord Touch Settlement Agreement Has Serious Problems: Judge news | 10 days ago
- June 5: Ford Agrees to Settle MyFord Touch Lawsuit news | 14 days ago
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 87,500 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 2 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- conversion kit (1 reports)
- not sure (1 reports)