- September 24: Ford Shifter Bushing Recall Class Action Lawsuit Dismissed news | 5 days ago
- September 23: Ford EcoSport Engine and Oil Pump Problems Investigated investigations | 6 days ago
- September 19: Ford Focus Recall Investigated For Canister Purge Valves investigations | 10 days ago
- September 15: Ford Transmission Recall Includes E-350, F-650 and F-750 recalls | 14 days ago
- September 5: Ford Truck Fuel Pump Problems Lead to Class Action Lawsuit news | 24 days ago
Spark Plug Spit Out
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 127,950 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 24 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (10 reports)
- repaired with insert (5 reports)
- rethread and install helicoil in cylinder (5 reports)
- replace engine (2 reports)
- replace head (2 reports)