- March 28: Ford EcoBoost Engine Problems Cause Class Action Lawsuit news | 17 days ago
- March 26: Ford Edge Rattling Noise Lawsuit Blames Flexplates news | 19 days ago
- March 19: Ford Recalls 2020 Explorers and Lincoln Aviators recalls | 26 days ago
- March 12: Ford Tire Recall Affects F-150, F-250, F-350, Escape recalls | 33 days ago
- March 12: Ford Recalls 2.9 Million Vehicles To Replace Takata Airbags recalls | 33 days ago
Enclosed Transmission Had To Be Overhauled
2002 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 7)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 89,000 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 136 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- rebuild transmission (66 reports)
- transmission overhauled (21 reports)
- Ford should comp the damage (17 reports)
- issue a recall! (14 reports)
- replace transmission (14 reports)
- not sure (4 reports)