- October 18: Ford Recalls 1.3 Million F-150 and Super Duty Trucks recalls | 3 days ago
- October 17: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Recall Needed, Safety Group Says news | 4 days ago
- October 13: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Fears Will Be Calmed news | 8 days ago
- September 27: Ford Recalls F-150, F-650 and F-750 Trucks in 3 Recalls recalls | 24 days ago
- September 16: Ford Explorer Wheel Hub Bearing Assemblies Recalled recalls | 35 days ago
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 108,921 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 15 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace solenoid, wait for defective part to fail again (9 reports)
- not sure (6 reports)