- December 3: Ford EcoBoost Problems Lead To Class Action Lawsuit news | 2 days ago
- November 30: Ford Recalls F-650 and F-750 Trucks With 7.3L Engines recalls | 5 days ago
- November 27: DENSO Fuel Pump Recall Expanded recalls | 8 days ago
- November 19: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Lawsuit Settlement news | 16 days ago
- November 15: Ford F-150 Transmission Lawsuit Dismissed news | 20 days ago
Broken Lumbar Support
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 64,650 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 6 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (6 reports)
accessories - interior problem