6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (294 reports)
  3. replace panel (117 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 4 of 39)

Jan 012013

Explorer XLS 6.4L

My mother in law had her back window shatter because of this problem. This is crap!!!!!!Ford stand up and take care of your customers/ My next car may be from someone else.!!!!

- , Mooresville, IN, USA

Nov 122012

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

The rear hatch cracked for no apparent reason. Went out to the vehicle in the morning and found that the hatch was cracked. I have seen many other Ford explorers with the same problem since I discovered mine cracked. I have asked several persons with a cracked hatch on their Ford Explorers how their hatches cracked and they told me that it just cracked on its own. It is quite awful that Ford wont do anything about since the vehicle is out of warranty, but is is so obvious that all the cracks are in the same place that it was a manufacturing defect.

I also had to have the hinges for the hatch replaced and was told by Ford that they are an item that needs replacing every 5-6 years. It is a shame that Ford won't stand behind their products when it is clearly a manufacturing defect.

- , Detroit, MI, USA

May 052010

Explorer

The crack started small and now is full crack down the back. I have seen other explorers just like mine with the same crack. you would think Ford would stand behind their vehicles.

- , Longview, IL, USA

Oct 312009

Explorer 4.0L V6

it was cracked when I purchased the vehicle. I see just about every vehicle with the crack on back panel.

- , Longwood, FL, USA

Dec 012006

Explorer XLT 3.0 V6

Nothing to say. All explorers from this year have the same problem.

- , Woodbridge, VA, USA

Jun 062008

Explorer XLT

I have seen many, many, many cracked rear decks on Explorers just like mine !!!

Right next to the Ford emblem.

- , Denison, TX, USA

Nov 062012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

Yet another problem with my 2004 Explorer. This is the last straw. Ford products are no longer an option for my family. After replacing many major parts on this vehicle, I could have bought a Porsche and spent less money than what I've spent on repairs. Do yourself a favor. If you think you may want to buy a Ford Explorer, Don't Do It. You will absolutely regret it.

- , Assonet, MA, USA

Dec 012010

Explorer

I paid a body shop to repair the crack and it happened again a year later.

- , Hammonton, NJ, USA

Nov 012005

Explorer XLT

I have had a crack in the rear panel for almost a decade. I just deal with it but it's ugly and clearly bad workmanship. if there is a class action lawsuit I will gladly join it. Ford needs to know that this is unacceptable.

- , Tallahassee, FL, US

Feb 072006

Explorer

This car was fairly expensive and we were told the rear panel cracked due to opening and closing the hatch part of the rear door. My Ford dealer would not cover the entire cost but covered it all but $110 and adjusted the hinges on the rear door and I was told it would not happen again. Every time you open and closed the rear door it would slam you couldn't keep it adjusted. Within a year it was cracked again in the same exact place. Now I was really mad!! You know the worst part of it is that Ford refuses to fix the problem, and there is a problem and the reason I know there is a PROBLEM is because every Ford Explorer you see driving down the road has a cracked panel on the back. I did not buy a FORD vehicle my last purchase I bought a Nissan and have been very pleased it is 5 years old now and is paid for without even "1" problem. Just regular maintenance!! My Ford Explorer had a transmission problem months after I had it which was covered but still a hassle, and the rear panel cracked twice and is cracked now, never got it fixed the second time because it would be a waste of money, until they change the panel or the hinges. Then I had wheel-bearing problem on both back wheels (left and right) the roaring was so bad you couldn't stand to ride in the back seat much less the 3rd row seat. This was a very bad purchase for me. The vehicle sits in my yard now because I don't want to sell it to someone else my car problems. Would love for FORD to fix it so it could be sold.

- , Rockmart, GA, US

Sep 152008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Crack developed on rear window panel. It appeared years ago and AI've noticed so many Explorers on the road with the same problem.

- , Wilmington, NC, USA

Mar 312014

Explorer V6

I have always babied this car, it is kept clean and maintained. I always have something going on with it... this time it is the cracked back panel under the window. Ridiculous!

- , Canton, OH, US

Oct 012013

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

FROM THE SOUND OF ALL THE COMPLAINTS FORD SHOULD HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM SOMEHOW. USUALLY YOU DON'T HEAR THAT MANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT SOMETHING IF A FLUKE. I LOVE MY EXPLORER AND WOULD LIKE TO SEE THIS TAKEN CARE OF.

- , Somerset, KY, USA

Jan 012012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

The crack is minor compared to other problems I've had, i.e.: 3 wheel bearings, transmission replacement, hatchback window hinges breaking, multiple fluid leaks. And absolutely no sympathy from Ford customer, no-service.

- , Neenah, WI, USA

Jul 032014

Explorer LX 5.0L

Back panel on rear hatch crack all way thru Ford sign and hinges worn too.

- , Atchison, KS, USA

Jun 052011

Explorer

I guess ditto to all others will suffice. Big ole crack down tailgate just like every other Explorer. Still on the road because its transmission still kinda works.

- , Rockland, ME, USA

Jan 012010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

They know this is an issue ... Ford needs to fix this problem.

- , Florence, KY, USA

Aug 152011

Explorer Eddie Bauer 6 cyl

This is the second time this has happened to my 2004 Ford Explorer. The first crack was replaced under warranty. The second one appeared just over a year later. I haven't had it fixed, what's the use? Every 2004 Ford Explorer you see on the road has a cracked rear panel below the rear glass. Built Ford Tough? Yeah right.

- , Pilot Mountain, NC, USA

Dec 002008

Explorer Eddie Bauer XLT V-6

After noticing the crack on the rear tailgate I started looking and at least a couple times a day I am behind an Explorer with the same problem. When I first noticed the problem and did check on the Ford website and learned they were not taking responsibility for the cracks! It is past time for me to purchase a new car but due to this problem and the problem I had with my transmission I will NOT be purchasing a Ford product.

- , Snellville, GA, USA

Aug 112014

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

ford used defective materials that allow moisture and air to build up behind the window panel.

just need the cracked rear panel repaired.

- , UNION, NJ, USA