- September 16: Ford Explorer Wheel Hub Bearing Assemblies Recalled recalls | 8 days ago
- September 15: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Investigation Upgraded investigations | 9 days ago
- September 12: Ford PowerShift Dual-Clutch Transmission Settlement Questioned news | 12 days ago
- August 31: Ford Recalls F-150 and Mustang Over Deadly Airbags recalls | 24 days ago
- August 31: Ford Recalls Explorer, Taurus and Police Interceptors recalls | 24 days ago
Abs Light Is On
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 2 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 77,697 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 24 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (19 reports)
- replaced sensor (3 reports)
- replace ABS control module (2 reports)