- January 8: Ford F-150 Oil Consumption Issues Cause Lawsuit news | 10 days ago
- December 28: Ford Recalls EcoSports and Transit Connects Over Airbags recalls | 21 days ago
- December 24: Ford Door Latch Settlement Receives Final Approval news | 25 days ago
- December 22: Ford Explorer, Lincoln Aviator Recalled For Motor Mounts recalls | 27 days ago
- December 22: Ford E-Series Recall Necessary To Prevent Burns recalls | 27 days ago
2005 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 3)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 100,500 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 50 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- rebuild transmission (27 reports)
- new transmission (17 reports)
- not sure (6 reports)