- December 4: Ford Fights 360-Degree Camera Lawsuit news | 0 days ago
- December 2: Ford Door Latch Recall: Doors May Open While Driving recalls | 2 days ago
- December 1: Ford 10-Speed Transmission Lawsuit Debated in Court news | 3 days ago
- November 27: Ford F-150 Master Cylinder Class Action Lawsuit news | 7 days ago
- November 26: Ford E-Series Cutaway Class Action Lawsuit Dismissed news | 8 days ago
2006 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 12)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 64,100 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 238 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace radiator (176 reports)
- not sure (34 reports)
- replace with ford certified radiator and parts (12 reports)
- replace bad seal (7 reports)
- replace with aftermarket radiator and parts (5 reports)
- contact national highway safety administration 1-888-327-423 (1 reports)
cooling system problem