- March 28: Ford EcoBoost Engine Problems Cause Class Action Lawsuit news | 18 days ago
- March 26: Ford Edge Rattling Noise Lawsuit Blames Flexplates news | 20 days ago
- March 19: Ford Recalls 2020 Explorers and Lincoln Aviators recalls | 27 days ago
- March 12: Ford Tire Recall Affects F-150, F-250, F-350, Escape recalls | 34 days ago
- March 12: Ford Recalls 2.9 Million Vehicles To Replace Takata Airbags recalls | 34 days ago
2006 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 12)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 63,800 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 237 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace radiator (175 reports)
- not sure (34 reports)
- replace with ford certified radiator and parts (12 reports)
- replace bad seal (7 reports)
- replace with aftermarket radiator and parts (5 reports)
- contact national highway safety administration 1-888-327-423 (1 reports)
cooling system problem