8.4

$1,000

1. replace tires (12 reports)
2017 Ford Explorer wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Ford Explorer:

2017 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Oct 052019

Explorer Sport V6 Turbo

2017 Ford Explorer Sport

My Hancook tired are at 2/32 and shredding leaving pieces of tread as I drive. Hankook denied the claim. I don't know how Ford can get away with selling $55k dollar vehicles with these unsafe bad tires. I was told by ford service and also discount tire that these Hancook tires should not even be put on an Explorer. So how can Ford have no responsibility when these tires wear out so fast. This just doesn’t seem right.

I also saw on the internet that Hancook was aware of their tires wearing out prematurely and that they would replace tires for the 2015-2017 explorers tires if under 36k miles. Mine has only 23k miles on it and they denied the claim.

- Destiny H., Las Vegas, US

Jul 012019

Explorer XLT 3.6V6

I have a 2017 ford explorer leased in 8/2017 my tires began wearing since before the first oil change. I mentioned it then and I was told they were fine. On aug 2019 I took it for another service and had tires rotated for the first time and the tires are completely worn out at 18,000 miles. I have 20,000 mi now and beginning to worry about driving the car this way. To me the Hankook tires are terrible and should be replaced.

- pfm260, Warwick, US

Oct 092019

Explorer Sport 3.7L Ecoboost

My 2017 Explorer Sport with 20" Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 started wearing very badly around the edges on all tires, but especially the front tires. I've had them rotated I at nearly every oil change. But the last few thousand miles the tires just started REALLY falling apart.

I noticed the edges wearing abnormally fast around 20,000 miles. Then chunks of tire were hanging off around the outside edges (like it was a bad alignment), and progressed very fast from 22,000 to 26,000.

At 26,000 the outside edges are completely bald on all 4 tires (worse on front) AND NOW the inside edges of the tires, are worn out and starting to chunk and wear rapidly like the outside edges did a few thousand miles ago.

Hankook has a Special Service Message SSM 47195 to pro-rate new tires for Explorers with less than 36,000 miles.

- Chris F., New Orleans, LA, US

Jul 192019

Explorer Platinum V6

My car came with Hankook ventus s1 noble. I observed a year ago, these tires were getting ripped off . Small chips started coming off and now it did not pass safety inspection and I replaced my tires with BridgeStone tires and need to see how they work. I spoke to dealer about premature wearing, he mentioned ford 35000 miles is better mileage. I live in dc metro area and roads are good. It is painful to replace tires just for this mileage. Ford has to find a fix for premature wearing of this issue and reimburse for tires.

- Thulasi V., Aldie, US

Jun 282019

Explorer Sport 3.5L

I noticed recently that the front left tire is peeling/ chunks coming off. Not sure why this problem started. Hoping Ford can fix the issue without charging me. I encourage others to report any or similar problem here, so we all can make our cases with Ford.

- smohammad, Edmonton, AB, Canada

Oct 082018

Explorer Limited

Tires worn prematurely at 18000 miles

Hankook 20in factory tire

- Mihcael B., Somerset, MA, US

May 152019

Explorer Limited

The tires on my car are just like everyone is describing. There are chunks of rubber coming off all around the two front tires. For the car to only have 25,000 miles and it already needs replacing, well I wasn’t ready for that. I can’t believe I have to buy new tires already!

- shellyann, Lake Havasu Cit86406, US

Sep 012017

Explorer XLT Sport V6

My tire tread has been flaking, tearing, pieces coming off for some time now, since about 2017. I have brought it up a few times being told I can't be helped, and I finally learn of issues with these tires and to deal with Hankook. I am now told I have too many miles though just this passed December 2018 I tried to get this issue resolved then as well. I feel Hankook should replace my tires.

- Doshia S., Santa Rosa Beach, US

Nov 012018

Explorer Limited V6

Tires wearing very quickly, flaking rubber and losing pieces of the tire. there are chunks of rubber missing that are 1/4 deep.

This is the second set of tires we have replaced. The dealership took ownership of the problem and replaced the damaged tires 6 months ago, and told us this is the newer version of the tire, but the same problem has returned.

- Jeremy A., Flower Mound, TX, US

Oct 012018

Explorer XL

Tires are worn, normal city driving, regular rotation and now all need to be replaced at my expense. This is a known issue and should be a recall at this point. Unsafe!

- Michelle S., Chadwicks, US

Sep 032018

Explorer Sport 3.5L

Tires have less than 20K miles and all 4 need to be replaced. Front tire is shredding. Truck never been off road and tires have been rotated every 5K miles as per Ford dealer. Tread wear is rated at 500, Think not.

- Leif L., Conway, SC, US

Jan 012018

Explorer XLT 3.2L

Tires tread is at 3!! They're peeling and chipping. Definitely a safety concern. Ford is not addressing the problem.

- Ahmad A., windsor, ON, Canada

Jan 222018

Explorer XLT 3.5L

My two front tire treads were worn and therefore replaced at 8,193 miles. I just reached 10,000 miles and again they are showing more wear than my back tires. A brand new vehicle should not be going through two tires before 15,000 miles

- Sherrie C., Boca Raton, FL, US

Apr 112018

Explorer ELT 3.2L V6

I rolled out of the Ford dealership in September 2016. It's now April 2018 and after 20,320 miles my tires are worn. Not sure what the warranty period is on these Hankook tires, but I will definitely be contacting Ford to figure this out.

- mbac76, Miami, US