- June 4: Malaysia To Punish Owners Who Ignore Takata Airbag Recalls news | 17 days ago
- June 4: Honda Wiring Lawsuit Over Rodent Damage Dismissed news | 17 days ago
- June 2: Two Takata Airbags Explode in Same Crash, Driver Killed news | 19 days ago
- May 30: Isuzu Rodeo, Axiom and Honda Passport Gas Tanks Detaching investigations | 22 days ago
- May 22: Honda Recalls Civic Hatchbacks To Replace Seatback Pads recalls | 30 days ago
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 155,000 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 2 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (1 reports)
- replace brake and fuel lines (1 reports)
body / paint problem