ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2008 Honda Accord engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

2008 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 20)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

7.9

$1,390

2. per Honda consuming 1qt per 1k miles normal (40 reports)
  3. I heard that Honda replaced worn rings and engine short block (21 reports)
  4. call American Honda corporation to complain (14 reports)
  5. rebuilt the engine (13 reports)
  6. replace engine (13 reports)
2008 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

2008 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 20)

Jan 012018

Accord EX 2.4L I4

Initially, I used to get oil changes for every 8-10K miles. Right now its every 2-3K miles. Honda dealer in Burlington, MA did the oil consumption test for 1K miles. They said since the car is out of warranty (Mine is 2008), the only two solutions they offered me are to replace the entire engine or get frequent oil changes. One of the guys from Pep Boys told me that there is a Honda Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) where you can find more info. Have to search that and may be find a better solution.

- sunnyb, Tallahassee, US

Apr 162016

Accord EX-L 4

I received a letter in the mail from the manufacturer stating this problem. I went to the dealership and made them aware of this problem and took the letter but the representative briefly skim and scanned the letter and handed it back and said it would not be honored because of the mileage. This is my only means of transportation, when I went to the dealership I was leaving for basic training and the letter stated that there had to be a six month eval of the problem and if that was the problem Honda was replace or fix it.

So now, I already filed a complaint with the BBB for one dealership about this matter because my car had no oil and shortly after, I received the letter. Now I am with a different dealership and having the same problem. This is my only means of transportation and I have a daughter that has Autism and I can not afford a motor.

I feel that if the representative would have just taken the time to read the letter or hear me out, I would not being going through this matter. I am a single parent, with an autistic child and I need my car for my daughter and to get back and forth to school and work. I spend more than $30.00 a week on oil because of this problem.

- Gwendolyn D., Orrville, AL, US

Jan 222011

Accord EX 2.4L

Will update later.

- Yolonda M., Indianapolis, US

Mar 042018

Accord LX 2.2L

Honda dealer on 01-29-2018 changed oil on my car with 79700 miles.

Now at 81500 oil is almost empty! Gone! Oil cage at bottom had just little oil mark.

My Honda Accord has very excessive oil consumption!

- Joe J., Island Lake, IL, US

Oct 122016

Accord EX

I have a 2008 Accord .I have to add 5 quarts of oil between oil changes ,I've had oil consumption tests done 3 different times.Honda says its normal to add that much oil. They would fix it within 8 years or 125000 miles .I started oil consumption tests at 111000 miles but Honda said the oil loss was not bad enough,now I have 132000 miles on it. Now they want to tear it down and see how it looks with no estimate . To change piston rings its 2200.dollars for a block change 4000.dollars .This is my 7th Honda I've owned and the last.Honda has a problem and they don't want to take care of it

- Lana S., Harrod, US

Jan 012018

Accord EX 6

Honda knows but did nothing! Probably needs a ring job...

- Gary F., Shreveport, LA, US

Jul 182017

Accord EX 2

This is costing me alot of money sames HONDA DOESN'T CARE THEY SOULD BE FIXING THIS PROBLEM AND STILL PAYING FOR MY CAR FOR ANOTHER YEAR !!!

- massolin, Niagara Falls, ON, Canada

Oct 202015

Accord EX 4

We purchased the 2008 Honda Accord in 2015 from a dealership after our 2006 Honda Accord was totaled when the car was taken for it's first oil change it was a little low did not think much about it, Continued to check the oil and noticed it would be low continued to add oil I have the oil changed every 3,000 miles on all my cars then in 2016 we received a notice about the oil consumption issue talked to my mechanic about it and he said take it to Honda in short Honda dealer said bring it back every 1,000 miles and they would record it, First time they added oil, Then said they topped it off, 2nd time same thing, Then the car stopped running all together had to be towed to my mechanic ( Authorized Honda Mechanic) he found because of the oil consumption issue it had ruined the timing chain he was outraged that Honda had not taken care of the problem so he replaced the timing chain and everything else that had to be replaced to fix most of the issues, After multiple calls to dealership I talked to the Honda Service department manager he told me that Honda was not going to fix the oil issue and he recommended that I trade the car in as they would just send it to auction I told him that would just make it someone else's problem. I contacted Honda for which they informed me they would not fix the oil consumption issue. I asked them why and he said the extended warranty was expired now. I told him they knew for years this was a problem but chose to notify me 3 years after they had settled a law suit for this issue and that Honda did nothing more then deceive their customers. I own a 1993 Honda Civic with 276,000 miles and it has never burned oil. My son had a 1991 Honda Accord with 198,000 miles when he sold it and I bought my granddaughter a 1993 Honda Civic that had 146,000 miles when she traded it in not 1 of these burned oil, I will never buy another Honda they have lost a long time customer.

- fatsuese, Battle Creek, US

Sep 132017

Accord EX-L Unknown

I purchased Honda Accord 2008 EX-L in late 2007. The car drove funny from very beginning. It produced a chirping noise from the exhaust. I took the car back to dealer, they kept the car for a week gave the car back to with some exhaust work. They also told me they could not really find anything in the car.

This car has been driven maybe 10 miles a day used only locally, thank God for that.

Early this year I noticed that car is consuming a lot of oil. I thought it might have a leak around the oil pan. I checked all over the engine and could not find any leak.

I keep adding oil to continue to drive the car. My daughter called me one day that her car got stuck in the middle of the road. I rushed to the scene and there was an engine light in the dashboard. I checked the engine oil. There was no oil in the engine. I went to walmart poured entire 5 Quart container into the engine, waited for few minutes, the car started.

I took my car to the dealer in town, explained my experience, they told me that I have a warranty extension. They will have to replace the oil and do the monitoring for every 1000 miles. I took my car there after every 1000 miles the car burned 1.5QT every 1000 miles, I did that 3 times. They told me that they will send all the information to Honda to decide what they will do. I receive a phone call from the dealer they told me that they need to upgrade software. They upgraded software the car still burns excessive oil. I called the dealer and Honda they basically told me their warranty expired there is nothing they can do about it.

This is ridiculous they manufactured a defective car and did not tell their customers, they hid the problem from their consumers. They also told me that they are not allowed to send out warranty extension notices to consumers. Really bad experience with Honda, I will never buy their car again. I have a Toyotal Sienna 2009, I drive that car all on highway and put around 10000 before I change oil and not a drop of oil burned.

I need a second car my another car will def not be Honda

- Mahmood C., Bloomington, US

Nov 302016

Accord

Originally Honda told me this was a problem with the VTC actuator and that it was an issue with all of that specific part used in 2008 Accords. They told me there was a service bulletin addressing the issue but never a recall. They said it would cost upwards of $800 to fix, but that there was still a chance the new part would be faulty since Honda never did anything to remedy the defect in the part.

Now they are saying it is the engine and an oil issue, also a problem they have refused to address or remedy. I am no longer under the manufacturer or extended warranties, but would have been right around the end of the extended warranty when the problem first started to appear last year.

It boggles my mind that such a "reputable" car manufacturer has no qualms with allowing loyal customers to drive cars with defective parts; parts that are inherently defective and of no fault or action of the driver. I know many people are loyal Honda-ists, but I will NEVER purchase a Honda again. This is absolutely ridiculous.

- Sarah N., Tallahassee, US

Jul 012013

Accord LX 2.4L I4

This car was a nightmare in a nutshell. Never had any other cars with this type of problem. We just sold this 08 LX in August 2017 and are so happy to be rid of it. Let me sum up my problem in a nutshell. We bought this car CPO in 2010 from Sunnyside Honda in Middleburg Heights. Good price on it and given it was a Honda we figured we were good for the long haul, now granted this car never left us stranded, it kept burning oil at an alarming rate, more so in the winter than summer. it also made a grinding noise when you would start it. I was putting in 1 quart of oil every 750 miles (yes, thats right...750 miles) and the problems only got worse. Once in the middle of winter I checked the dipstick and it was bone dry! And there was no oil light on the dash!! (this was last winter) For fear of serious engine damage we traded in the car this summer and upgraded to a newer accord which does not have this issue. After owning many hondas this was by far the worst accord we have ever owned. I have a 07 Accord and its rock solid with no issues at all. DOES NOT BURN OIL! I feel bad for whomever bought this car off the used lot as they have no idea it was driven with almost no oil in it. I'm sure the engine will fail soon. The dealer sure did make it attractive for someone that had no idea. We ditched it just in time. The other Honda dealer (Also in Cleveland area- Ohio) said "oh we send these cars right to auction don't want to risk selling it" but then put it right on there used car lot for sale and it was gone within a week.

Also of note, we have to have the whole rack and pinion steering replaced right after we bought the car. Near the end of our ownership (around 1/2017) it started acting up again just like before. This was a 2800$ fix under warranty the 1st time. So by the time you add up a failed engine at 4,000$ and a failed rack and pinion steering box, someone is in for a nightmare of ownership with this car. Also the struts were leaking and the brakes were problematic as shown in other posts on here. I would avoid this year and model accord. Unless you like paying for repairs.

- John B., Broadview Heights, US

Aug 022017

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4 cyl

I've owned this Accord since January 2014, and I've had to continuously add oil to it. It averages out to need a quart every 2-3 weeks and that has ALWAYS been my problem with my car. I clock my mileage after every oil change and currently its been 2340 miles since changing my oil and I've already had to put 2 quarts of oil in it. I've been looking around and seeing I'm not the only one having this problem, but having a 4 cylinder engine, I see I am not covered in this Class Action Lawsuit.

I was willing to deal with always having a 5 quart bottle of oil in my trunk to keep from seeing that red oil light, or prevent from hearing that rattling sound when going from first to second gear, but I'm pissed off at Honda now that my car cant even go past 30 mph!! My check engine light began blinking, so I knew I was in trouble. I began reading about similar complaints regarding similar Honda models drinking oil, and the possibility for my potential repairs to be covered under some class action suit so I took it to the dealership.

The dealership read the codes and said it's a cylinder 2 and 3 misfire, but dismissed my oil consumption claims as oil leaks. I told them my car doesn't "leak" oil, it "drinks" it and it has been something I've had to deal with since purchasing the car. The dealership said repairs would cost $3800 and this would not be something covered in the class action suit, so I'm pretty much screwed. I don't have the funds, and I need my car. My family are all faithful Honda owners, but this is my first Honda and it's left such a bad taste in my mouth, I'm 100% sure I'll never deal with those crooks at Honda again.

- Eddie N., Washington, DC, US

Jan 072017

Accord EX-L V4

Accountability! If Honda knows about problem, then fix it.

- Dan S., Aliso Viejo, US

Mar 182016

Accord EX 2.4L V6

I have been jerked around by my local Honda Dealership, here in Lisle, Illinois. They wanted me to do some experimental design by checking my oil every 1000 mi.

When I first brought it in the shop, in March 2016, they told me that I was leaking oil , supposedly whoever changed my oil last had left the Oil pan bolt loose. The I came back on April a month later, they told me I had a crack next to timing case shaft. The in June they did admit it that I was not leaking oil but burning oil.

- Majdoline H., Westmont, IL, USA

Jan 012017

Accord LX 4 cyl

Even though Honda acknowledged the problem with the pistons/rings on 08 Accords and extended the warranty, they are unwilling to assist a long-time, devoted Honda owner who encountered the problem shortly after the warranty expired. Obviously the excessive oil consumption began while the car was still under warranty, but, since I change every 3000 and drive a Honda, I had no reason, nor did my mechanic, to check oil levels between or during oil changes. Who does these days? All this has fallen on deaf ears at Honda.

We all need to think again about Honda quality and, especially, their commitment to loyal customers (this is my 4th Accord).

- Cary H., Milwaukee, WI, US

Oct 012014

Accord LX-P 4c

a quart of oil every 1k miles..... that is all that needs to be said. Crazy they did a recall on the 6 cylinder and not the 4...

- Justin M., Athens, Al, USA

Jan 012017

Accord LX 4 cyl

The car is leaking oil internally, and although these cars are supposed to last upwards of 300,000 miles, I will probably have to buy another one soon because of a faulty engine. This is the same issue as the V6 version and there should be a recall.

- Tania A., Los Angeles, CA, US

Apr 012012

Accord EXL 2.4L

Had the oil consumption issue at 45,000k, engine was rebuilt under warranty. Currently at 125,000 K and going through the same issue. When will it end. Although Honda Canada has been excellent about warranty coverage, this car has been a pain in the ass. Battery replaced under warranty, overhead light wiring replaced under warranty, front breaks replaced under warranty, engine grinding at start something replaced under warranty. Key fob, piece of crap, has never worked properly, that is not replaced under warranty. How am I ever going to be able to sell this piece of garbage? Definitely feel like I purchased a LEMON.

- Carrie S., Calgary, AB, Canada

Aug 012014

Accord EX

Having the same problem so many others have. For almost 3 years, I've been adding a couple of quarts of oil per month with average car use. I had no idea this was a common issue or that there was a warranty. I've had it to my repair shop several times and their conclusion was that my car just uses oil. Contacted my local service center and they told me to call Honda. Honda informed me that because my car had either an original purchase date over 8 years or 125,000 miles, whichever was first, that this is no longer covered. What a bunch of bs.

- Kimberly A., OlatheO, KS, US

Jul 092015

Accord EX V6

I feel that my vehicle should have been given the extended warranty - I just found out that certain honda accord models were. I have been burning oil and going through spark plugs ever since I got this car. I am fed up!

- Dave P., Reading, PA, US