2018 Honda Accord steering problems: steering sticks and jerks

Steering Sticks And Jerks

2018 Honda Accord

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

7.3

2018 Honda Accord steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Honda Accord:

2018 Honda Accord Owner Comments

May 292018

Accord Sport 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

At only 4,200 miles my 2018 Honda Accord Sport 1.5L Turbo began having an extremely annoying steering issue. It is noticeable at all speeds, but is truly significant at highway speeds. The steering needs to be corrected about every 10 seconds, moving it slightly to the right, then 10 seconds later, slightly to the left, over and over again for the entire trip. On long trips the issue is almost unbearable as I spend the whole time correcting the steering.

I've had many cars in the past that have needed wheel alignments, but this is a totally different feel. The steering wheel (or wheels) seem to actually stick slightly when slightly moving it to the right or left. After putting enough pressure on the the steering wheel, it will all of a sudden move but never in a smooth manner, again it seems slightly stuck and then jerks to the side that I'm trying to correct to. I've now had two tire rotations (thinking maybe it was a tire problem) and even paid for a wheel alignment, but the problem remains the same.

I really hope there is an eventual solution to this problem as it is extremely annoying.

- geebee67, North Ridgeville, US

Jan 142019

Accord Sport 2.0t

Ok, so I didn't notice this problem previously, but this was my first long road trip in the vehicle and on the return trip I noticed that at highway speeds, when initially turning the steering wheel left or right from neutral, it would stick and require more force to initially get the steering wheel out of it's neutral position. The biggest problem is that the force required to do so causes the car to jerk in that direction once the steering wheel has been freed from it's neutral position. It doesn't seem to stick in any other steering position and it doesn't seem to happen at low speeds. The jerking can be significant, especially when traveling at highway speeds. I haven't taken this to the dealer yet, but I will soon.

- aviat443, Carnegie, US

Oct 012018

Accord EX

Steering was fine for a few months after purchase, but then it started to stick and release with a jerk from the left over and over and over while driving 40 mph and above. It is especially difficult to drive long distances at 65-70 mph. Have had it looked at twice leaving car overnight both times. First time the mechanic was able to duplicate my concern and car was returned to me as repaired, but it was not. The second time the mechanic was unable to duplicate my concern and car was returned with no repair made. I am seriously considering trading in this brand new car with only 13,000 mi as it seems this problem cannot be fixed and the steering feels unsafe.

- Edie Y., Boiling Springs, PA, US