ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2017 Honda CR-V engine problems: high oil level with gas in oil

High Oil Level With Gas In Oil

2017 Honda CR-V (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: It's rare when a newer vehicle has defect trends, & the 2017 Honda CR-V has at least two — overfilled oil levels with a gas smell, & heat not working.

Both problems affecting the Honda CR-V's 1.5L "Earth Dreams" engine appear to be related to cold-climate regions.

CR-V owners report overfilled oil levels due to fuel in the oil, & sometimes a gas smell in the cabin. That problem appears to be related to fuel injection which Honda hopes to fix via a software update. Honda so far has only proposed a recall in China, & regulators there have rejected it because they don't think Honda's plan is sufficient.

CR-V owners also report no heat even after warming up their CR-Vs for 30 minutes — not even enough to defrost the windshield. So far, there has been no fix from Honda for this issue.

7.9

2. no solution; Honda told me to check oil every 500 miles (8 reports)
  3. change oil frequently (2 reports)
  4. Honda said drive at high RPMs & avoid short drives (1 reports)
  5. remove excess oil (1 reports)
  6. replace head assembly and injectors (1 reports)
2017 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Honda CR-V:

2017 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 182018

CR-V EX 1.5L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

2017 Honda CRV EX trim. Less than 10k miles. Occasional gas smell upon start up. Engine got louder as time went on. Checked the internet and found out about oil dilution. I checked the oil and sure enough it was 1/4" above the full line. Took it to the Honda dealer. The stated that they were aware of the problem and that there was no fix at the time except to change the oil and check the oil level every 500 miles. Filed a complaint with Honda corporate and they provided no additional information about a possible fix. They did not even say that they are working towards a fix. This will likely be the last Honda vehicle I ever buy.

- Bill S., Maple Grove, US

May 162018

CR-V EXL 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

One good day, while pampering my CRV I checked the oil and noticed the Oil was “1 inch” above the max mark on the dip stick. I took it to the dealer and they told me it is because you must have added extra oil. I was shocked, why in the world anyone would put oil in a new car. They said they will not change the oil, just drain it. Another cheap & unprofessional response.

Note I bought the car at 3000 miles and at 5000 miles the oil was dark black and smelled gas. I told the dealer the oil smells gas, he said he does not smell any gas. Anyway, they ended up changing the oil. 2000 miles later the oil was again “1 inch above the max mark on the dip stick, dark and smelled gas. This time Dealer that agreed something is wrong and changed the fuel injectors. They say it is not a guarantee that problem will be fixed so keep an eye on the oil level. One good news is Dealer became cooperative to change the oil free until the problem goes away but the bad news is many:

1. LOSS OF POWER. It is new car and drives like a donkey cart. 2. Excessive Engine wear & tear due to reduced oil viscosity. 3. Fire risk because FUEL is mixing with OIL. 4. Time away from work because trips to the dealer 5. Excessive depreciation, as people will not buy this model. 6. Dark Oil after some driving. 7. Engine sound is louder than 1.9 L base model. 8. Engine vibration is higher than 1.9 L base model. 9. Engine torque is worse than 1.9 L base model.

Above are TRUE FACTS, not rants. Honda is welcome to contact me to verify them. Honda should know that their customers are not stupid. They will stop buying Honda. Trust is the most important thing they have with their customers and once that is compromised. Honda! Good luck holding value.

I bought this car with my years of savings. First the dealer ripped me off by selling the car $1000 more than the sticker price because I did not see it but dealer left it by mistake in the dash and then this gift. Shame on Honda they are not able to fix this issue. If they have slightest Japanese honor left, they would buy back this car or replace the engine with a new one.

The reason they cannot fix is simple that THERE IS NO FIX. Overall engine design architecture is flawed.

DO NOT BUY HONDA CRV

- kr123kr, West Bloomfield, US

Nov 222017

CR-V EX 1.5L Turbo

I will bring the 2017 CRV for next oil change and tell the service people to see what they will do.

- Luna S., Edgewater, NJ, US

Mar 132018

CR-V EXL 1.5L

• CVT transmission

Oil dilution. 4 oil changes in 2000 miles. Keep going back to Honda, No fix, just change oil. Got a case number from Honda. They closed the case with no solution or explanation as to why. Honda says there is a bulletin coming out which doesn't happen.

- Karla A., Blooming Prairie, MN, US

Apr 072018

CR-V Touring 1.5L

• CVT transmission

As a new owner of a Honda 2017 CRV Touring with a 1.5 liter Turbo Engine. I didn't think anything would be wrong. I would have been a very proud owner like everyone else. I have been driving Honda cars since 1986 and have never looked back until now. Unfortunately discovering my CRV having this issue with the gasoline diluting the oil problem. I am totally devastated.

I normally take care of my cars and change the oil on a regular basis per the manufacturers recommendations and more. I normally do one step above and beyond what's called up by the manufacturers recommendation in order to protect my engine, especially in a new engine. I did the first oil and filter change myself at 3500 kilometers. This way I thought it would eliminate any metals in the oil and prevent it from further causing any damage to the engine cylinders. And later take it to the Dealer for the first manufacturers recommended oil and filter change.

Before taking it to the Dealer, I check my oil and noticed that the oil was slightly darker in color than normal and I thought, this doesn't seem normal after driving approximately 3000 kms since my first oil change I did myself. The color of the oil should have been slightly darken but not as if it was driven 25,000 kms. Anyways, I took it to the Dealer and got my oil and filter change. I asked the gentleman doing the oil change, to see if there was anything different about the oil. He said that there was a heavy odor of gasoline in the oil. Then, I realized that my engine is affected as well. So, I spoke to the Service agent about this and he have stated that there is nothing wrong and that there is no recall based on your VIN number.

So, folks, all I can say is that I'm sure the Dealers know about this problem but they are not trying to cause any alarms to scare the public about this issue. We need to raise this awareness to all the CRV owners of 2017 and possibly 2018 as well. This issue was brought up in China when many owners complained and finally they are doing something about this. Unfortunately, the temporarily fix is not a permanent fix in my mind. A software modification will not solve this issue. The issue is a hardware problem.

Honda needs to either change the Engine (unlikely) or buy back all the cars from the owners. Honda needs to do a re-design of the Engine, otherwise, this issue will never go away. It's affecting cars in the US and Canada. So, I encourage all owners of 2017 CRV and possibly 2018 as well to start making some noise about this. Hopefully, this might wake up Honda Canada and Honda USA to start taking action before any lawsuits comes into effect.

A good example is Volkswagen. They are now giving owners the options to either buy back their cars or take the cash for their false pretense on gas consumption. For me, there's no amount of money that would help alleviate this problem. Eventually, your car will end up with costly oil and filter changes, even if they are free and other replacement parts. It's the time wasted that you have to bring it in. So Honda, do the yourself a favour, start recalling now before your reputation is on the line.

- nga, Scarborough, ON, Canada

May 182018

CR-V 1.5L

• CVT transmission

OIL CHANGE DUE. CHECKED OIL BEFORE SERVICE. OIL OVERFILLED, STRONG GAS SMELL. WIFE COMPLAINED OF GAS SMELL IN CABIN OF CAR.

- Wilbur A., Pittsfield, US

Oct 012017

CR-V TouringTourung 1.5L

VEHICLE: 2017 Honda CRV Touring - 5 miles when purchased on 05/01/2017 - 2,000 miles when I first noticed there was a problem.

I am at about 6,000 miles now.

Initially I noticed a clicking sound emanating from the engine get louder over time.

I was following a CRV forum (Hondacrvowners.com) and noticed a lot of people start mentioning fuel in the oil. Then saw news articles about a huge CRV recall in China's cold climate areas with the same symptoms. I then began checking the oil frequently and noticed a definite fuel smell on the dipstick and rising above the full mark. I have not noticed a fuel smell in the cabin, fortunately, as some have complained about, but this is not good for an engine.

Two Honda dealers have told me they are aware of the issue, but not to worry about it and to check the oil since no lights are on and scans show no problem. Of course! No problems yet, but most drivers don't check their oil and won't notice a problem until the engine completely fails.

- Sean M., College Point, US

Apr 242018

CR-V EX 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Morning following extended trip, I started the car and immediately noticed loud engine knocking sound. Stopped the engine and checked oil level and saw it to be high and smelly. That afternoon after work I brought the vehicle to the local dealership and scheduled an oil change . They found the level to be two litres above normal. I expressed deep concern for premature wear on engine and it was more or less dismissed as not serious!!!! I was told no immediate solution, to check oil levels often and bring it back for more free oil changes

I am not a certified mechanic but know darn well that diluted oil will not perform and it WILL cause long term damage. I am very disappointed, thought I had the perfect vehicle for me. Stay away from this engine model until its fixed

- deerchaser2009rb, Timmins, ON, Canada

Apr 062018

CR-V EX 1.5L

I have opened a case with Honda and they are telling me they are not considering this an issue. So I have asked for my case to be escalated because this is and issue that is ruining the engine. Now I have a secondary issue of going to the dealership every 7-10 days for an oil change. The last oil change they measured over 5 quarts meaning that over 1 quart of gas is mixed in with the oil. I don't see how anyone can claim that is normal.

The case manager called me once and I have called her numerous time to let her know when a good time to call would be. She only seems to call when she knows I will not be available. This was the case the first time to, phone tag for weeks before she could tell me that Honda doesn't see this as an issue. I was so dumbfounded and upset that I didn't ask and the right questions at that time.

- Jessica P., Plainview, MN, US

May 152018

CR-V ES 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

There is a STRONG smell of gas in the oil. This worries me because of problems that will arise because of poor lubrication and longevity of the engine. I have yet to complain to the dealer but definitely will next service interval.

- John T., Ruidoso, NM, US

Mar 122018

CR-V Touring 1.5t

• CVT transmission

There is certainly an excess amount of gas mixed in engine oil. Only few weeks after oil change, the oil level is already 20 mm above the max line. It's certainly a design flaw and I think Honda should be responsible for this mistake and the customers. It's huge safety concern and hope the relevant resources can take action to investigate this issue.

- Tim C., Seattle, WA, US

May 232018

CR-V EXL 1.5L Turbo

Gas in oil. Not acceptable in new car!!!

- dfl830, Kirkwood, US

Apr 172018

CR-V EXL 1.5L T

click to see larger images

high oil level with gas in oil

I bought this 2017 CRV EXL-NAV AWD in 05/2017. We did the first maintenance on March 17 to change oil at 8000 miles. There is oil leakage, I will talk this on another complaint. I heard that there is oil level increase problem on this 1.5T engine because of fuel leak, so I checked the engine oil level at about 8800 miles and found that the oil level is more than 10mm higher than the maximum mark on the dipstick. I brought the car to dealer and they said it is fine. I am very upset with their answer. I have attached the photo, the oil level is exceeding the orange plastic to the metal part. actually CRV has been stopped for sale in China for 2 months until Honda initiate a recall and extend the warranty to 6 years. reliability is the main reason I bought Honda, now I am so disappointed. will not buy any Honda unless they offer a satisfactory solution.

- seanxyding, Superior, US

Apr 042018

CR-V Touring 1.5L Earth Dreams

• CVT transmission

Regarding oil level in '17 Honda CRV rising: On 4/4/18 I removed a full quart of oil to bring level down to the full mark on dipstick. Drove for several weeks in warmer spring weather and oil level rose slightly. Brought to dealer on 5/21/18 and service department told me they had never heard of the problem. I asked them to note it on my service records, which they did.

- Paul N., Granger, IN, US

Apr 012018

CR-V EX 1.5L

Oil level rising on CR-V. gassy smell dealership told me to call Honda USA. I emailed them case # 08528140, have yet to get back with me. I thought I bought something top shelf and reliable coming from a previous owner of a problem Chevrolet Cruze. We will see if Honda comes to the table on this.

- schwabelectric, Vassar, US

Sep 102017

CR-V EX 1.5L V4

click to see larger images

high oil level with gas in oil high oil level with gas in oil high oil level with gas in oil high oil level with gas in oil high oil level with gas in oil

A continuing issue. I left complaint here for gas smell in cabin. Now after 6 trips to dealership service at Piazza Honda the Service Mgr Tony kept telling me nothing is wrong. There is gas in oil and high levels of oil on dipstick as on picture. See pic of gas cap that has white goop knit and cap smells like gas and rotten eggs. Back and forth I finally went to Sales Mgr.. Greg I explained I wanted him to smell my inside cabin...he did and said it smelled like gas. Then he took to Tony in Service to tell them my issue. I just picked up car too. Then they changed my oil at 16,320 miles then scheduled meeting with Honda Rep 3/28 and got run around. It smelled like gas and oil was thin and high levels. Told to come back again if happens! Had oil sample analysis and came back 3% gas in oil and high levels of other things. Then at only 334 miles into new oil change...my oil level went from 100% to 90%. I was told by Honda Rep I should get 1,000 or more miles on OW20 synthetic oil. Well if there is nothing wrong then how come my gas level in high in oil, only got 334 miles and level went from 100 % to 90%, and oil is thin and dark plus smell of gas in cabin. I got nowhere with Honda. Never called back! No what Honda!!??

- Lorraine G., Folsom, US

Jan 122018

CR-V EX 1.5t

• CVT transmission

Oil-level consistently 1/8" above the orange plastic top. Mostly highway mileage. Live in warm Southern California. So neither short trips (3~5miles for example) nor cold temp. for my case.

- Fuyan Z., Santa Barbara, US

Apr 022018

• CVT transmission

Was not aware of problem until read complaints on CRV Owners forum and carcomplaints.com. I checked the oil with dipstick and it was above the full line on dipstick. Also, oil on dipstick had gasoline odor. Since I have just over 2000 miles on vehicle I am worried about future engine problems resulting from this issue which Honda does not seem to have any solution.

- duke1946, St George, US

Apr 162018

• CVT transmission

Oil level is rising because gas is getting into oil. I'm afraid car will catch on fire, also result in excess engine wear.

- Patti D., WATERTOWN, MA, US

Apr 022018

CR-V EX-L 1.5t

Come on, Honda.

I specifically chose a Honda vehicle because of the perception that the vehicles are reliable. The oil dilution issue is now more significant than you thought. It's not just China. It's Canada and the US.

FIX THE PROBLEM! If you think the problem is going to go away by itself, think again. I see more and more people on forums with this problem.

- Tommy P., Elk Grove, CA, United States