2014 Honda Odyssey engine problems: engine misfires

Engine Misfires

2014 Honda Odyssey

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 and 2015 Honda Odyssey shows an early trend of transmission problems with clunking/jerking when shifting gears.

Most of these Odyssey transmissions are still under warranty, but so far Toyota generally hasn't been able to diagnose or fix the clunking problem — that's the reason for our low rating. Some owners have reported it was a stuck solenoid, & in a few cases Honda has replaced the entire transmission.

As more of these Odysseys start exceeding the 60,000-mile powertrain warranty limit, buyer beware.

8.5

$3,700

2. replace piston rings (1 reports)
  3. replace spark plug (1 reports)
2014 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda Odyssey:

2014 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Aug 122018

Odyssey EX

I bought a Honda because I thought it would be reliable. I have had the dealers do all the maintenance on the vehicle and now the piston rings need replacing?

There was a recall on 2011, 2012 and 2013 for this very problem. I think they need to extend the recall to my year and maybe beyond. The recall covered the cost of replacing the rings.

This is a major job since the engine must be removed. I am still waiting to see if the "Honda Adjuster" will give me a break on the cost.

Just so disappointing.

Update from Sep 2, 2018: Update. The repairs were not covered. It cost me $3700. Thanks Honda. On top of that they only replaced the first three cylinders. This is the same repair for 2011 through 2013 vehicles. They don't take the engine out. Just remove the oil pan and crank. then pull the pistons, replace the rings and slide them back into the engine and reassemble. Car is running fine now but how long will it last.

- jacobyville, Holland, US

Mar 222017

Odyssey EX-L V6

Car has been misfiring for about a month hoping it's bc of the cold weather and the rain. Today the car started out and was horribly puttering as it coasted to a red light. At acceleration, the car was just hurting trying to accelerate, puttering along the way as I accelerated to 35-40 mph. The car was just grinding too while accelerating.

- momof4boysinsocal, Torrance, US

May 022016

Odyssey V6

click to see larger images

engine misfires

On Monday 5/2/2016, my wife informs me that our Honda Odyssey had the engine and traction lights on. So I immediately thought of calling my Honda dealer which is Metro Honda to schedule an appointment to have my van checked.

I live on a very steep hill and as I was driving up the hill, the van started having very weird noises coming from the engine and at the same time, it starts to stall / no power to go up the hill. I left the it parked and set the appointment with Metro Honda to bring it in the next day. Metro Honda mechanic attempted to fix the issue by hooking it up to their computer system. It showed CODE-P0305 and they went ahead to replace injector #5 and injector base(rear) as well. Now keep in mind that the car still under warranty and this service was covered.

The gentleman from the service department told me that same day that they had driven the car for about 20 minutes and therefore the van was fine. So, I sent my wife to pick it up and while she was driving the car back home, the same engine and traction lights displayed again, and this time, the noise was even worse. Given that we live near a Honda dealer, Hudson Honda, my wife proposed to bring the van there because it's near by. So, I agree and brought it there.

Hudson Honda dealer went ahead without my consent to not only check the van's oil but to take the oil out. In the beginning, they were assuming that the oil was not oil that the engine had. Then, they were asserting that I ran thru a puddle of water and somehow water got inside the engine. So, the only way to check what was wrong with the engine was to take it apart. At this point, they assumed that there was outside elements and the warranty was void and this had to be dealt with my insurance company.

First, they were not supposed to take the oil out because if there is an issue with the oil, I would have to bring it to where I service the van which is a reputable service place(Firestone). I brought the issue with Firestone and they said since the oil was taken out form Metro Honda, there was nothing they can do because every time they service for oil change the put a seal and that the seal was broken. I explain that to Hudson Honda and that did not work. Hudson Honda manager told me that the cost of taking the engine apart was $600 and that would have to come out my pocket. I weighed it out and contacted my insurance company.

My insurance company sent out an specialist which came to the conclusion that they can't make a decision because the engine had to be taken apart and they did not cover it. So, I decided to tow the van back to Metro Honda dealer where the found out that the van had no oil and were asking for copies of the oil service. I told them that the Van was at Hudson Honda for about a week and that the oil was taken out. They decided to contact Hudson Honda to get the oil back. I've been without a van for 2 weeks now and still waiting for the outcome. I had to rent a Van for my wife and that set me back $400 and the parking fee $100 from Hudson Honda.

Hudson Honda does not provide customers with courtesy cars. I would not recommend buying cars from Hudson Honda(West New York, NJ). Their customer service is really awful and I felt like a was taken advantage of. Metro Honda(Jersey City, NJ) on the other hand, are looking in to see how can this issue be resolved. They explained to me that even though both dealers are Honda dealers, they are not the same. It was in the best interest to bring the car to the original place.

This engine problem is very similar to the lawsuit that was presented back in 2013 against Honda; Honda Motor Co. has reached a class action settlement over claims that some of its vehicles excessively burned oil, causing engine misfiring and premature spark plug degradation. If you purchased a 2008-2012 Honda Accord, 2008-2013 Honda Odyssey, 2009-2013 Honda Pilot, 2010-2011 Honda Accord Crosstour or 2012 Honda Crosstour equipped with a 6-cylinder engine with Variable Cylinder Management (“VCM-2”), you could be eligible to receive compensation for repairs or a warranty extension.

The Honda engine misfire settlement will resolve a class action lawsuit (Soto, et al. v. Honda Motor Co. Inc.) alleging that Honda manufactured more than 1.5 million defective vehicles that excessively burned oil.

Honda has denied the allegations in the class action lawsuit. The parties agree that there are no safety concerns with the vehicles named in the litigation. Honda agreed to the class action settlement in order to avoid the costs of a trial. The proposed class action settlement was preliminarily approved by U.S. District Judge Susan Illston on Oct. 9, 2013.

To receive full compensation for your vehicle repairs, Class Members must submit a valid Claim Form with a copy of an original repair invoice or receipt plus proof of payments for repairs or replacement of parts on a Settlement Class Vehicle by April 10, 2014. Class Members do not need to take any action to obtain the warranty extension, which will cover repairs for the affected vehicles within eight years of the original purchase or lease date of the vehicle, with no mileage limitation.

Note: I've never seen water getting inside an engine other than a flooding or a broken gasket. I believe it's a manufacturing defect.

Thanks

- Rene H., North Bergen, NJ, US

Dec 072014

Odyssey LX V6

Wife was driving home from visiting family when the Malfunction Indicator Lamp starts to flash and the engine starts to shudder. As per the manual she pulls over in a safe location from where we call a tow truck to return it to the dealership from where it was purchased (35 miles).

Next day we are told that the code did indeed detect a misfire and one of the spark plugs was saturated in oil. The spark plug was replaced and supposedly the problem is solved.

This does not sound like a solution, but more like a band aid. Something is leaking oil and causing the problem. It would appear that a class action law suit was recently settled with almost this exact problem. Sounds like Honda has not fixed this problem yet.

- trevornc, Apex, NC, US