CarComplaints.com Notes: So far the 2011 Elantra doesn't have the same volume of transmission problems that 2010 owners are fighting with. It also doesn't have the same pattern of steering and braking complaints that are piling up with the 2013 model year.

We're not saying the 2011 is perfect -- I mean, what were they thinking advertising their MPGs -- but there are worse choices.

2011 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Hyundai Elantra:

2011 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 222019

Elantra

Drove vehicle to dealer, boucher hyundia of waukesha after the check engine light would go on and off with codes P2096 and P0304. Codes are related to cylinder 3 and 4 misfires. Dealer found engine making a noise from lower end and recommends an engine replacement. Dealer disassembled the vehicle to document possible financial assistance from Hyundai motor America. After four weeks hma declined to provide assistance. The vehicle was reassembled and returned to the owner. The vehicle could not be driven off the dealer lot, it stalled immediately after starting. The eight year old vehicle with 126,000 miles is a unfixable and has lost market value.

- Delafield, WI, USA

Jan 162019

Elantra

My 2011 Hyundai Elantra has this ticking sound coming from the engine for over 12months. I has constantly called even had the car towed 4 to 5 times to the same dealership for the same thing that the Hyundai motor want and wouldn't declared the car a lemon. The car constantly would not start or when it did start while driving it would slow down and then shut completely off where I would have to restart the vehicle back up. The car is always keeped in a close garage and regardless to the weather it continue to make this loud razzing noise in the engine. Service manager chad repeatedly told me that there was nothing wrong and that it was because of the weather. Now the dealership wants me to pay 7000 dollars for a new engine

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Feb 012019

Elantra

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. When the vehicle was started or while driving various speeds, the contact heard an abnormal ticking noise emerging from the engine compartment. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to peacock Hyundai columbia (310 greystone blvd, columbia, SC 29210, (803) 799-1234) where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to stivers Hyundai (101 newland rd, columbia, SC 29229, (803) 419-7819) where it was diagnosed that the lifters, engine, and timing belt needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted and provided case number: 35887131. No further assistance was provided. The failure mileage was 86,000.

- Columbus, SC, USA

Jun 262019

Elantra

The contact owned a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that the vehicle caught fire while parked in the family garage. There were no injuries and the fire department put out fire. A fire report and a police report were filed. Smoke filled the home and the garage drywall ceiling had collapsed and blackened the interior of the garage. There was extensive smoke damage to the interior of the house. The vehicle was engulfed in flames and full of water. The fire started on the driver's front side of the engine. The exact cause had not been determined as of yet. The vehicle 's whole front from the engine had been burned out. The glass exploded and the vehicle was ripped open using a jaws of life tool so the fire department could put out the fire from the engine. The vehicle was destroyed. The dealer and the manufacturer were not contacted. The failure mileage 68,000.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Jun 122019

Elantra

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that the engine light and air bag light flashed as the brakes had been applied however, the wheels spun unexpectedly and the engine power was reduced resulting into a crash into another vehicle. The air bags had not deployed. The driver sustained no injuries for medical treatment. A police report was filed. The manufacturer had not sent notification that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V871000 (electronic stability control) as of December 21st, 2015 so the owner was not aware. The vehicle was unable to be driven above mid 20 to 5 mph with a drastic reduction in engine power. The vehicle was towed from the location of the failure and parked because of the failure. A dealer was not contacted yet. The vehicle was rendered unable to be driven due to the failure experienced related to the recall campaign. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was not available.

- Keystone Heights, FL, USA

Jun 012019

Elantra

Car stalls while in motion and coming to stops. Engine sounds like a diesel truck and also has a ticking noise. Constantly having to replace the headlight bulbs front and back. Also have issues with steering wheel making a winding noise when turning the wheel. My tire pressure light never goes off even when air is put in or all new tires are put on. Also constantly having issues driver side up front tire issues. Had new brakes done and shortly after there making noises again. I always have Hyundai do my work on my car except I do however go to walmart to get my tires. I have had this car for about 3 years and constantly have had issues with it. I will never ever buy another Hyundai again.

- Dunnellon, FL, USA

Mar 192018

Elantra

Severe engine knocking for over 12 months when starting vehicle. The vehicle is stored in an enclosed garage year round. Knocking occurs no matter the outdoor temperature. The vehicle seized up and was towed to dealer. Dealer stated the vehicle was still under warranty but would not do anything to make repairs.

- Pocono Summit, PA, USA

May 012019

Elantra

Car randomly wouldn┐T start this morning.

- Corning, NY, USA

Jan 152019

Elantra

Rattling/knocking noise while car is running, increase in noise as you accelerate.

- North Newton, KS, USA

Mar 052019

Elantra

Engine ticking at idle and acceleration. Had lifters replaced and oil pump costing $1500. Engine continued with ticking noise. Brought it to my local Hyundai dealership which is 2.5 hours away. They told me I needed a new motor. Hyundai has declined the request related to mileage and time. Really. This vehicle only has 79,000 miles on it. Hyundai currently has a class action lawsuit related to the ticking noise. Hyundai knows that the engines are faulty but refuse to put out a recall. How can you let Hyundai continue to resell these cars. This is basically fraud. Hyundai Elantras from 2011-2016 with the 1.8L engine are the ones affected. Hyundai doesn't stand behind their product. I have never heard of a motor going with only 79,000 miles on it. Someone needs to do something to make Hyundai accountable for their faulty products. Take the vehicles with the 1.8L off the market.

- Colebrook, NH, USA

Feb 112019

Elantra

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. When the vehicle was started, an abnormal noise was detected. Also, while driving more than 60 mph over a bump, there was an abnormal clicking noise detected from the steering wheel and the vehicle vibrated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the contact was informed that the cylinder coupling and engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- El Monte, CA, USA

Apr 012019

Elantra

I noticed a ticking noise coming from my vehicle. I took it to a Hyundai dealership and they informed me I would need to replace my engine. The vehicle has 73,000 miles and was maintained (oil always changed on time). I bought the vehicle from my grandfather and had it less than a year. Because I was the second owner, I was not covered under the 10 year/1000,000 mile warranty. The Hyundai dealership submitted documentation and photographs of the engine to see if Hyundai would cover any of the cost of a new engine. Hyundai declined to cover any of the cost of the engine. I called customer service and was assigned a caseworker to look at the submittal in greater detail. The caseworker informed me they would not cover any of the cost regardless that many people were having the same problems with their engines.

- Conway, PA, USA

Feb 112019

Elantra

The crankshaft pulley stripped from crankshaft! about 30K miles before we started noticing engine noises - loud ticking noises. After having my spouse park the vechicle because was hard knocks, I took it out with my daughter to take her to guitar lessons and to listen to it as I drove. On the way back to the (less than 3 miles) the engine died as there was a loud screech/knock. I restarted the enigne and drove back home. The coolant and oil was everywhere. That's when I notices the pulley was loose and I was able to pull it off the crankshaft. The oddest thing I've ever seen. The engine (I believe) still starts but ticketing does persist. Not sure what happened but clearly the engine had some issues with it. There was nothing we've done with the vehicle other than normal, highway driving. I've contact corporate Hyundai and they have indicated it's not longer covered and no work can be done on it. My concern - outside of 5K lost on the vehicle is this is a major concern for all the vehicles out there - especially at the lower mileage. I freaked out on the road when I heard the noises and felt like my engine completely fell apart. My safety was my concern. Something is wrong with this engine and it's not just mine. If it happened to me...a similar occurrence is happening to others. I sense Hyundai is not doing it's part to rectify this issue especially with such a core/critical part of the vehicle. I've lost confidence in their vehicles...especially with lack of ownership of the issues. (vehicle is still at dealership at the time of the writing). I'll be picking it up today. I"M estimating the date this happened...because I didn't mark it down. I tried to tow it myself to the dealership with my truck but I took the bumper off so finally got a real tow in to picker it up and relieved it.

- League City, TX, USA

Mar 132019

Elantra

The engine in this car is knocking severely. It's really bad upon start up and continues to knock.

- Logan, OH, USA

Feb 182019

Elantra

Known Hyundai engine problems the engine has a ticking noise that I have found to be a manufactured issue in Hyundai Elantras. The camshaft bushings are worn away and needs a completely new engine. All of which is a manufacturing fault. The ticking is audible when idling and even more so when the accelerator is pushed.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Dec 042018

Elantra 4-cyl

2011 Hyundai Elantra. Consumer writes in regards to loud ticking nose from engine. The consumer stated the dealer found debris in the oil pan and the engine needed to be replaced. The consumer stated that there are other vehicles with the same failure. The manufacturer declined to assist with repairs due to the vehicle's age, mileage, and number of owner's.

- Daly City, CA, USA

Aug 012018

Elantra

Car stalls when idling and at times when decelerating. The car starts right back up as soon as I am able to bring it to a stop. When driving at a high speed on the freeway I don't not have problems.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Dec 242018

Elantra

Takata recall: We have have taken the car to get inspected due to engine light coming on and off and have had to make payments about different fixes that would apparently help only to notice no change and the light would come back within days or weeks and come on and off. There is a sudden change in the way the vehicle drives after the light comes on, and then goes away. This normally happened in freeways.

- Vandenberg Afb, CA, USA

Jul 302018

Elantra

I had my car for a year. When I first got my car, there was a knocking noise that came from the engine, I took it back to carmax to fix and they stated they did. My car ran good for a while and around August or September after leaving from work that same noise started again. This time it was bad and I almost got into a wreck. I took it to a mechanic they stated that I needed my engine replaced. I have seen that this is a ongoing issue with these models. I also show that there is a recall on my vehicle and my car is showing those exact signs. I have documentation of information from the mechanic and the cost of the labor and new engine

- Columbia, SC, USA

Feb 232017

Elantra

Car was being driven in the highway when the car stalled. Oil flow is malfunctioning in the engine causing rod problems. According to dealership it's a known problem for this make and model. I am told that the engine rods are bad and the engine needs to be replace. I contacted the warranty company however they refused to cover the repair due to tire rotations and spark plugs purchased at the dealership and was replaced personally.

- Bowie, MD, USA