CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2016 Tucson comes with a dual-clutch, 7-speed transmission. But Hyundai forgot to tell you about one key phrase – zero-move. That's right, an alarming number of owners have said their SUV wouldn't accelerate after a stop.

Turns out that's because the transmission's application logic has been stumbling all over itself. Hyundai recalled the issue in September 2016, but it's difficult to say if owners are out-of-the-woods, or if this is just a sign of things to come.

8.6

2. software update (1 reports)
  3. traded car in, i have little faith they can resolve this (1 reports)
  4. transmission control module software update (1 reports)
2016 Hyundai Tucson transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Tucson:

2016 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Nov 252015

Tucson SE Limited Accord. To VIN, Not ?

Vehicle does not shift well. It literally slowed down as I was pressing down on the accelerator to speed up and it was on level ground. It hesitates after I slow down and almost stop or do stop.. it won't go again.. I usually have to release the accelerator and then step on it again. It shimmied and shook, like it was about to die, as I was sitting at a stop light (has happened at least twice).

- , Columbus, US

Jun 282016

Tucson Limited 1.6L Turbo

Vehicle would hesitate upon acceleration from a stop or would shift harshly.

Update from Apr 4, 2017: This issue has been resolved through software updates to the transmission control module.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 242016

Tucson Limited 1.6L

Car is new. Only 426 miles. Dealers says mine is 5th in a line of new Hyundai Tuscon turbos that are unsafe to drive. No idea if or when it will get fixed Now I am paying for a brand new car I don't have. One time the car would not move at all. Other times it just feels like it's going to stall. I Spent a lot of money for this SUV and now I am driving some crappy rental with no end in sight. I am angry and frustrated. The guy at the dealership said a man is actually coming from Korea to try to figure out the fix for this nightmare transmission.

- , Phoenix, USA

Jul 012016

Tucson Limited

No or lagged acceleration from stop. Lunges forward when it does engage. Poor shifting once moving. Dangerous conditions!

- , Reidsville, US

Mar 012016

Tucson Limited 3.2L

Do not want this car any longer. It's dangerous!

In drive at a stop the car idles very rough. When pushing on acceleration pedal the car sometimes lunges, does not go into gear, or doesn't move.

- , Murrieta, CA, US

Feb 272016

Tucson Sport 1.6L Turbo

I have filed prior complaints about this problem as have thousands of other owners. A recall was issues within the past few months regarding this same issue. I brought the car into the dealer and had the transmission "reprogrammed" as outlined in the recall. The issue is still present and poses a very serious safety issue. When the gas pedal is pressed from a stop, the car will hesitate for appr. 1-2 seconds and feel like it will die. The car will then lunge forward as if the gas pedal had been floored. The brake has to be released at least 1-2 seconds prior to accelerating. My family cannot feel safe pulling into traffic as we don't know if the car will actually move when needed to. When coming to a stop, the car will stop then lunge forward again. When coasting at a very low speed as in traffic, the car will "bounce" as if it were a manual transmission and the gas pedal was not pressed. It feels like it will die. When accelerating while moving, there is not a smooth shift between gears as if the clutch plate is not fully engaging.

- , Oswego, IL, USA

Jan 042016

Tucson Limited 1.6t 4 cyl

Dual Clutch Transmission slipped in reverse, shifted rough or slipped into neutral in low gears. Bought car in Jan. 2016. Fix now available as of late Aug. Call your dealer. I don't know if Hyundai will send recall letter. PS: I had to have it done twice. It did not work the first time the fix was applied.

- , Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jun 152016

Tucson 1.6t

This is my wife's car....our 6th Hyundai, as I am an old Hyundai tech. Couple months ago she tells me she went to pass somebody in her bad a** Hyundai and all of a sudden in the middle of the pass, car goes into a neutral state. Her car slows down, the guy whom she is passing slows down, and here she sits on the wrong side of the road with oncoming traffic closing in. Her only option at this point is to slam on brakes and turn on flashers, and pull over to shoulder.

Of course, she then calls me in a panic because she thought she was going to die, and her car is broke. I tell her calm down, and try to shut off the car and restart it, see if the problem is still there. She turns off car, restarts it, and the car drives away. At this point y'all, I think my wife is bat sh** crazy. I get home, drive the car, no problems. I tell her must have been some glitch, don't worry just drive it.

Then 2 weeks later, my 15yr. Old son is driving the car, mom by his side, and in 5:00 rush hour traffic, it acts up again , this time, engine revs to 5,000 rpm and car does 18mph max. First thing my wife does is call me like I can fix it over the phone or something...I can hear the engine stuck, the panic in both of their voices, and at this point all I can think of is the crazy 911 calls the Toyota customers were making when the throttle was sticking and they were dying in their cars....what a helpless feeling. I tell them to pull over shut the car off and restart it again, which they do, car starts and bangs the trans, shifts normal again.

At this point, I'm thinking my wife ISN'T crazy, so I google this concern. Oh my, there are a ton of the exact same complaint!! I instantly call my old coworkers and make an appt to get this resolved, tell them they can have the car for a week, cause we are going on vacation. I tell them "guys you need to google this problem, some dude even has a video on YouTube, this is crazy serious, somebody is gonna die". They look at me the same way I looked at my wife when she told me. So, they do the update from February? I guess, and the hood latch recall, and some dash recall.

Get the car back, and hot damn, this thing is way faster than it's ever been! I love this little turbo thing! Give the car back to my wife, proud that my guys hooked me up, walking around all night with my chest out cause I'm a Hyundai tech too dang it. Then the wife calls next day....says the cruise control just shut itself off. I say, ehh, must have been a glitch or maybe she bumped the brake pedal....nope, by this time I really should be paying attention to her concerns, cause she is in tune with this car...silly me. 2 days later she calls and says the car is extremely sluggish and is shifting very slow.

Ok, she has my attention, she's not crazy, and this car must be possessed. I say, DON'T shut it off, bring it to me, I'll hook the scanner up and see what the heck is going on. No codes, no bad data, all looks normal, but this thing has horrible throttle response, like none at times, at goes 3-4 sec. between shifts with my foot to the floor. Will not down shift, just super sluggish. I scratch my head, pull over, and shut it off, start it up, put it in drive, stomp the gas, and it's takes off like my race car. WTF is wrong with this thing!!!

It is totally not safe, how do I kiss my wife goodbye every morning and send her to work in this scary car?? Somebody help please!! I have a call into Hyundai tomorrow, and will let you know any updates.

- , Byron, IL, USA

Jul 142016

Tucson Limited W/ultimate Pkg 1.6t

We have the 2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited with ultimate package, 1.6L Turbo with 7 speed DCT. Love the car and all the features, rides great, very stylish! The car has been great, and we are very used to how the transmission works and how the car drives as this is the first DCT we have had in a vehicle, but got used to the way it drives.

Recently, we have an issue, intermittent of course so its hard to service, of the transmission not engaging after being at a stop. Its like it stays in neutral even though its in drive, foot off the brake, hit the gas and go nowhere. RPMs go up, car does not move. It has happened while trying to get up my driveway, sitting at a drive thru, and at a red light or stop sign. This is getting to be a dangerous issue. When you're in traffic, or causing traffic because the car won't move, I see that as a real safety concern.

After some research, I found this site and wanted to file my complaint after reading about the exact same issues I'm having, yet the service department does not seem to know about these issues that multiple people are having. This is my first Hyundai and it may be my last if this issue does not get resolved. I got the extended warranty on top of the regular warranty because after researching the car and seeing this is the first year of the DCT in this model and it being a new design, I wanted the extra warranty to cover any issues that may come up. Well, the service department will soon grow tired of me as I will be persistent and make them tow it in for each and every time it does it until they admit there is a problem. Rant is over, thank you!

- , Magnolia, TX, USA

Jul 012016

Tucson SE 2.0L

Mileage stinks. Transmission won't coast when you let up on gas pedal then starts to downshift without coasting causing engine to drag down using up fuel when it should be coasting to stop of decel. Eats fuel. Told no updates but must have a software problem . What car doesn't coast when slowing up now days. If normal they need to fix software or other a veh this small should not eat fuel and should be shifting better to save fuel. I tech college for Auto and Diesel I know this is a concern needing attention

- , Mccordsville, IN, USA

Jul 042016

Tucson Limited Turbo

The Tuscon dash light came in while driving in congested traffic stating the transmission was too hot!! Then we began to immediately smell something hot/burning!!! Ended up being towed after the firework show!!! Is this a vehicle I can rely on? Worried!

- , Chillicothe, OH, USA

Jun 152016

Tucson Limited 1.6t

Sitting at a light and when it turned green my car would not move. Changed to park and back to drive and still wouldn't move. Turned car on and off and still no movement. Car behind me almost hit me. Caused traffic jam. Car finally moved forward. Happened several times since.

This is very dangerous in the amount of traffic I drive in. Was at drive thru last week and when it was my turn to move forward my car would not budge. Again, numerous cars behind me. Finally it slowly moved forward. Happens when I am at a light or stop sign. Sometimes backing out of a spot it doesn't move and finally does. If car decided to move at the wrong time I could hit someone! Car has always seemed to jump forward when I move forward after a stop but I thought it might be normal for a turbo but guess not.

Last week I was at a stop sign and the car would not move when the light turned green. Kept trying to get it to move by hitting the gas and all of a sudden the car took off burning rubber and through the light I went! This car needs to be recalled immediately as this is dangerous. Makes you scared to drive the vehicle.

I paid over $30,000 for this car and it's only 6 months old. I should not be dealing with these issues. A/C went out yesterday and was blowing hot air. Car will also roll backwards on a normal street, no incline. Very concerned about my safety with these stalls and others on the road with me. Hyundai needs to act on these issues before something bad happens.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 302016

Tucson Limited 1.6L Turbo

It' very unnerving to come to a stop, wait to make a turn, step on the gas and nothing happens. It has done this three times now (my wife twice, me once) and I am afraid we will get stuck in the middle of a turn and get T-boned.

There is something wrong with the electronics in the transmission. I am planning to take it in to the dealer but it is very intermittent so it probably will not replicate at the dealer.

Update from Jul 12, 2016: The dealer could not find anything wrong but their test drives are less than 5 miles and in their defense it's tough to discover any intermittent problem. Still, I was not happy to leave with an unresolved problem that was sure to happen again. The service agent brought me to his boss the Service Manager and I explained the problem. The dealership had never had a customer with this experience but just that day on a regional conference call he said that 5 other dealerships had cars come back with the exact same complaint. Their experts seem to think it's with the double clutch design (not a computer program as I hoped). This is a concern since it may never get properly fixed. They offered a free rental car until they had a solution which was nice but transmission problems based on a poor design are not likely to be easily resolved.

I traded the car in and got a 2.4L V6 Santa Fe Sport. I would avoid any turbo from Hyundai. Sorry I got in bed with this company if the Santa Fe has issues it will be my last car with them ever.

- , Friendswood, TX, USA

Mar 012016

Tucson Limited 1.6L

I got my car in December 2015 right off the truck. I even had to assist with pulling the shipping plastic off the car. The sales guy was very relaxed and not pushy at all, showing me cars with everything I wanted. I had never even heard of the Tucson before. I saw the car, drove it once, let me husband drive it and that was it, drove it off the lot for about 35,000.00 4 hours later. December to March the car seemed great, I was in love with it, telling everyone to get one.

I drive an hour to and from work each day and around 4,500 miles in March I started noticing an extreme lag when I hit the gas but it was only happening every once and awhile, not enough to really notice. Starting in May, it became extremely noticeable, when I am at a stop light and hit the gas, the car sits still. I have to slam on the gas and finally the engine will rev all the way up and start to move a little, then jerk forward. Starting just this week, I have become a little afraid of driving it with my son in the car.

The car is now at about 10K and when I push on the gas the engine rev's and the car rolls backwards. I am taking it to the dealership on Friday, praying they don't tell me nothing wrong b/c something is wrong. I feel like I'm trying to drive an old stick shift that I am learning how to drive for the first time.

Update from Jul 12, 2016: Took my car in for service and they fixed the recall and of course said theres nothing wrong with it and couldnt duplicate the issue. No idea what to do now.

- , Las Cruces, NM, USA

May 122016

Tucson LX 1.6L

The transmission seems to go to neutral while merging, or while waiting for a turn. Very dangerous situation and have nearly been hit by other cars. Hyundai service has bee awful. Says there is nothing that can be done. The car is unsafe to drive. I have an expensive boat anchor! I will contact an attorney to see what can be done.

Update from Sep 10, 2016: Hyundai has an update. It's a recall called a, "control logic update". It has changed the transmission characteristics drastically. The car shifts very well! Night and day difference! We'll see, over time, if the problem is corrected.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 212016

Tucson Limited Awd 1.6t

Sporadic lunging forward and I don't know which gear will work when I start truck and at a red light it only revs and doesn't move. Press the gas at a stand still to cross a road, it hesitates no power very sluggish sporadic behavior. Truck system check show no codes and no codes when plugged up at dealer.

Update from Jul 7, 2016: Hyaundai service had to argue with corporate about the complaint because the codes to show something is wrong with the car doesnt come up when the plug car up to computer. The service manager had to duplicate the sporadic behavior for hyaundai to fix what i complained about. The transmission did it again and now Hyaundai said the transmission have to learn so they reset it and now its working but ill keep yall updated because a reset doesnt mean the problem is fixed!!!! They probably took the battery cable off so in aother 4 to 6 thousand miles we will see.

- , Union, NJ, USA

Sep 012015

Tucson Limited 1.6t

Since about 300 miles I have had car to the dealer to help correct the problem with it not shifting correctly. Seems its slips and or revs before it actually moves. Had an update done back in Feb 2016 and it help with the shifting for about a month and now its back to the same way and the dealer says its normal. The Sport mode is awful when shifting, you step on the gas peddle and the whole car takes off like crazy when you barely push on the gas peddle. When you let it go the whole car pulls back and it is crazy jerky. When in the normal shift mode the transmission is jerky for sure. Now after that update, when sitting at a light and you let your foot of the break just a bit, the whole car shutters and feels like its going to stall out and you can feel the shake like crazy, Again dealer says that normal for the dual clutch. First time I had it in they said it was because its like a standard transmission and that when you drive those and let the clutch out before pushing on the gas thats what will happen... so I asked if I was suppose to drive 2 footed to correct the problem.. They of course said no.. Then the 2nd time a different person told me that its normal because the dual clutch is staying in second gear when coming to a stop which is normal for this type of transmission. So which one is it because both sound ridiculous to me. Hyundai wont do anything about this stuff and says its all normal and I need to deal with it!! Really after I spend 36,000 on this thing and I need to deal with the problems.. I am going to trade this car in or talk to an attorney.

- , Green Bay, WI, USA

Jun 042016

Tucson Limited 1.6t

I love my car and I just had it in for its 15,000 mile checkup last week. Then I am at a red light on a busy road and light turns green and my car won't move. It was acting like I had it in park but it was in drive. So I put it in park and then drive, nothing. So I did this a few times and then it finally went.

I was very thankful that everyone stuck behind me did not get impatient. The car did the same thing later in the day in a parking lot and then the next day in my driveway. I do not feel safe driving this car. So Monday morning I called the dealer they said to call roadside assistance and have it brought to them. On Wednesday I went after work to pick up my car - they said they could not duplicate the problem and no error codes came up.

I am actually nervous driving my car now, I am hoping that it does not happen again, but if it does and they do not fix it I will be getting another vehicle.

- , West Greenwich, RI, USA

Jun 032016

Tucson Sport 4 Turbo

I purchased the car brand new in March 2016. I absolutely love the car however, today while driving to work I almost wrecked multiple times due to the transmission. When stopped and I accelerate i'm okay until it shifts. When shifting it stalls out and the engine just revs. After a few seconds it will lunge forward at an accelerated speed and continue to do so with every upshift.

I contacted the dealership and the earliest they could get me in is next week. I said that is unacceptable as I am at hazard driving this BRAND NEW car. They said our next appointment is next week do you want it? I took it. I feel like they are not really customer service friendly and how would they feel if they had to drive a car that they represent that could cause an accident. I will see what the outcome is, but I better not be out of pocket anything. Other than this the car has been excellent..

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 152016

Tucson Limited 1.6L Turbo

does not engage, grinds when it does

Added the Tucson to my Hyundai collection. I love the vehicle but the transmission has to go. Sitting at a light waiting to go, I hear a loud clunk then try to move, nothing happens. Engine revs but the car doesn't go. Put car in park, shift to drive and away I go. Drive into round about, slow down and then try to merge into traffic, gears grind but the car doesn't move. This could be life threatening if speeds were greater. Stop and put in park, shift to drive and away I go. Several more times the transmission did not engage either after I slowed down or from a stop. Brought in to Dealer and was told "I have never heard of this happening". That night the dealership calls and advises me that I need a new transmission. It's been two weeks and they are still waiting for the transmission. Hopefully Hyundai is redesigning it before they send it. I'll let you know the outcome...

Update from Jun 6, 2016: Well it's been 6 weeks now and I still do not have a new transmission. It's supposedly on the way. I feel the "Lemon Law" coming on!!

- , Columbia, MD, US