ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Altima has a defect trend of CVT transmission failure showing up around the 100,000 mile mark.

It's an expensive repair at nearly $4,000 average repair cost. For more information see Nissan Altima CVT defect info on NissanProblems.com.

8.5

$1,300

1. nissan should recall (33 reports)
  3. replace dash board (8 reports)
2008 Nissan Altima accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Altima:

2008 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 102015

Altima SE 3.5L

I live in Mobile Alabama and this is where I bought my Altima Coupe in 2008. It was new and I really loved it. The main issue that grinds my nerves is the dash board. It is literally melting away. And the sun or head lights can hit on it a certain way and almost render you blind.

My second major issue is the malfunctioning door locks.

- msjaki, Mobile, US

Jul 012016

Altima Sedan Coup

Dashboard is melting and creates a big problem with glare. More than that, it is releasing fumes that may be toxic and carcinogenic. I can't imagine how this could go on like this with so many people complaining about it. I am hoping to get it covered but that still does not take care of the fumes.

- atinder, Coppell, US

Mar 052014

Altima SE 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

This now seems to be a known issue to Nissan and Altima owners. Back in 2013 I noticed the Dashboard was soft and sticky. Took it to the dealer and they said that it was not their problem since i was out of warranty and it must be something i did. Said i would be up to me to pay for the replacement. That didn't work with me since i had taken care of the car like a baby, using only Nissan approved cleaners inside and out. After months of calling and e-mailing Nissan corp and visiting the dealers. Nissan finally agreed to replace the dashboard for free to avoid me having to report them to bbb. Now I see they have settlement going on in FL and noticed my dashboard is getting soft and sticky again. Not sure if i want to deal with this crap again.

- carlex, Snellville, US

Jul 082015

Altima S 2.5L

• CVT transmission

The dashboards are not just melting in Florida....Its HOT in NC too and mine is melting/cracking and it looks terrible. Fix all dashboards - Not just the ones in Florida!

- Donna L., Maxton, NC, US

Jun 152013

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I have now heard that Mazda and Toyota both have issued a recall on some of their cars for this same issue.....what is Nissan waiting for????

- bakers_120, Jarrell, TX, USA

Altima Coupe V6

I know the state of Florida had a lawsuit over this. Nissan should replace for free!!

- mclark1269, Brunswick, GA, USA

Jan 012013

Altima S 2.5L I4

• CVT transmission

I do not remember a date or the time when this problem happened. However, the car exterior looks very nice; but no one can clean or even touch the dashboard, for it is melting, sticky, and makes dirty anything that eventually gets in contact with it. I'd like to stir at everybody's attention that TOYOTA, less than two (2) months ago, just recalled the 2007 Camry for the same problem, so Nissan might be able to do the same tor its customers.

- jmss357, Miami, FL, USA

Apr 032016

Altima SL 3.5L

• CVT transmission

Dashboard started getting sticky to the touch, and there is no way to clean it. Everything sticks to it. Now I have hairline cracks showing up on both sides of the console going from the dashboard all the way down to the shift area. It is disgusting. My car is always kept in the garage. Nissan evidently used faulty materials for the dashboard. I live in Houston, where it is hot and humid, which seems to be exacerbating the issue. I love my car and take good care of it. Nissan has some responsibility here to fix this. I see the class action suit is for Florida only. Have you ever been to Houston in August? We've got Florida beat by a long shot. Nissan, please do something about this!

- Laurie B., Houston, TX, USA

Dec 152015

Altima

Dash board is melting and creating a glare while driving! Dangerous and sticky! Cannot lay anything on the dashboard are is becomes like a sticky mouse trap.

- Victor S., 39475, MS, USA

Oct 012015

Altima SE 3.2L V8

We purchased a used 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe in October 2015. On the first really hot day, here in Louisiana, there was a sheen across the dash. Within a few days the sheen had turned sticky then it looked as if it were melting. We contacted Nissan and were told to come in so they could take pictures. I was even given a name and number for contact at Corporate. At first, I thought they were going to take care of our melting issue. However, I was mistaken. Nissan said they could not help. The dashboard is not only an annoyance, but a hazard. The glare from the dash onto the windshield makes seeing incredibly dangerous!!

- Stephanie C., Prairieville, LA, US

May 022016

Altima 2D

While my car does have a decent number of miles, I do take good care of the car. I use a windshield shade as I lived in FL for 4 years and now in Louisiana, which both places see extreme sunshine. I noticed that a sticky film residue developed on the dash. It progressively got worse and now is spreading to the window when the heat is used. I am furious that this happened and even more furious to hear nissan is doing nothing about it. Its so dangerous!!!!!! Our family has always bought nissans but after this go-round we are done dealing with Nissan.

- pastranala, Slidell, LA, USA

Aug 102014

Altima 2.5L

I have never had a dash to crack and trade in cars around 120,000 miles. The dash got sticky and shiny first and then I started seeing cracks which spread all over. I have caulked and now covered with a mat but want it replaced. I currently have only 80k miles; started seeing this about 60k miles. Nissan should cover this at no charge.

- vsflorida, Lynn Haven, FL, USA

Apr 022014

Altima SE V6

My 2008 Nissan Altima dashboard starting melting about 2 years ago. Clearly this is faulty equipment on Nissan's part. Nissan refused to fix the problem and thinks I should pay for at least half. I do not feel I should. The problem is the melting dashboard creates a glare when the sun hits it and that glare will either get me killed or I may kill someone. I have to drive very careful and sometimes I do not see objects until the last minute.

I would like Nissan to stand by their product. I have bought 2 cars from them, this one is brand new and it has the most problems so far.

- ynni01tx, Austin, TX, USA

Altima S 2.5L

I was not aware that many Altima owners sustained the same problem. At first, I saw the thread line on the side of the vents but later, I began to view more lines. Then eventually, cracks, shiny like gloss on the dashboard. I was not aware of the complaints and lawsuit until I received a notice of class action settlement in the mail. I was planning to replace my dashboard next year because the cracks and stickiness from the material are becoming more, and more less tolerable. What should be my next suggestion with this problem and is it hazardous to someone's health?

- Sylvie T., West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Altima Coupe 3.5L Se

My 2008 Altima Coupe, 3.5 SE that I have taken extremely good care of has a dashboard issue. It is cracking like a spiderweb and little plastic pieces are chipping off. This is a very clean car and, though I live in Florida, it has been garaged or covered at home and work for the entire time I've have had it.

It looks like it will cost over a thousand dollars to have fixed as the dashboard must be entirely replaced. It totally devalues the car and looks horrible. Apparently others have had the same problem but Nissan does not care. Unbelievable, as I would never buy another one if I have to pay for this ridiculous repair. Very disappointed.

- secfla, Delray Beach, FL, USA

Feb 042014

Altima SL 3.2L

Not only is the dash melting and everything sticks to it (lint etc) and my dash looks nasty it has also started cracking on each end of the dash and all the way around the steering wheel. My nice all options car looks like a hoopty now especially since the a/c went out and that's gonna cost a $1000 to fix by the way. This is the first Nissian I have purchased and it sure has left a bad taste in my mouth!

- pjill, Havana, FL, USA

Jan 182016

Altima ES 3.2L

I purchased a 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE Coupe in January, that had only 13k miles on it. The dash was sticky when I bought it. I assumed a previous owner had a dash mat and the mat was removed before the dealership put it on the lot.

After I had the car for a month, I began to research the dash of this particular model. Saw a forum with over 400 posts of sticky/melting dashes for 2007-2008 Altimas. Looking at my car history, my car originally came from New Orleans. One forum I was on, led me to the Nissan Facebook page. I read through the page and saw that they were really good at responding to everyone's posts. I stated my problem of the sticky dash and told them the glare is very dangerous.

I was instructed to go to my Nissan dealer and have a diagnostics done. I went to the Nissan dealer, they had no idea what I was talking about. The gentleman in the service department told me to clean my dash with dawn soap and water. He said Nissan used a black plastic paint on the dash and the paint just needs to be wiped off. I explained it is the dash itself that is sticky, not something melting off my dash that is melting. He didn't even bother to look at it and told me to get a dash mat. He also told me not to use Armour All to clean my dash as it will ruin the dash. I told him I haven't, but isn't Amour All made to clean interiors of vehicles and if a cleaner can cause a dash to melt, Nissan needs to let it's consumers know of that fact. He said it is in the owners manual.

My car did not come with an owners manual and my salesman said he would get one for me, of which he has not, but that is a whole other issue. I looked up the manual online, and nowhere in that manual does it state anywhere about not cleaning dashes with Armour All. Nissan should take responsibility for making crappy dashes and put a recall out and replace them.

It is dangerous as the slick surface of my dash glares onto my windshield and totally obstructs my view. I carry a black towel with me to throw on my dash when the glare is obstructing my vision. I don't want a stupid looking dash mat, I want a dash that is not melting. I want a dash that is not faulty. I want Nissan to step up and do the right thing and correct this problem!

- teresaks, El Dorado, KS, USA

Jan 012014

Altima S 4 CYL

• CVT transmission

Nissan Altima 2008 dashboard is melting. It has become sticky and shiny and the reflection in the windshield hinders visibility in bright sunlight.

- mitch7, Houston, TX, USA

Jul 012013

Altima SE V6

My 2008 Altima coupe also has a melting dash. In 2013 I contacted my local dealership and Nissan directly and they both told me there was nothing they could do to help me because the car is out of warranty. Are they not concerned at all that the glare from the shine is blinding and could cause an accident? It's a poor quality issue they should take responsibility for before someone is hurt or killed. This was my 4th Nissan and now last because of their unwillingness to correct a potentially dangerous flaw.

- Jill P., Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012014

Altima

It ashamed that majority nissan owner having same problem and issues. It should not be questionable nissan is lacking with interior dysfunctional design. It not good for health hazard to have melting dashboard. Who know what it is made out of. chemical n substance can affect internal issue by breathing up in the air. Nissan you need to do something about it. If u know its a cause issue in southern area than why bother selling the car. This should be recall.

- cuteyg99, Coconut Creek, FL, USA