CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

8.5

$3,550.00

1. replace the transmission (58 reports)
  3. rebuild transmission (2 reports)
2006 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jul 172016

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

We will not buy Nissan any more

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo more Nissan if they don't recall

- , Hatboro, US

Dec 082015

Maxima LX 3.2L

• CVT transmission

I helped my son buy a 2006 nissan maxima, and within a month the transmission started slipping. Now, I am told that at the very least, I need to get a new valve body for the transmission, for a cost of at least 1200, maybe more. That PSA from nissan should be extended to all that have the problem. My son went into the Army a couple of months after buying the car, and I am trying to get out from under it.

- , Radcliff, KY, USA

Jun 022016

Maxima SE 3.5L

Has there been a recall on this problem and if not why??? With such a high rate of complaints and problems why has there not been a recall???

Also my sunroof window just exploded and has to be replaced. What would cause this and is the Nissan Maxima starting to be junk? I have owned one since 1995 and at this point I will not be getting another one, and yes all it takes is one piece of junk to turn me against a vehicle.

- , Harrison, USA

Apr 012016

Maxima ES 3.2L V6

Engine warning! car is jerking,Take the car to mechanic. It was recommended that is a sign of a bad transmission.

- , Hollywood, FL, USA

May 162017

Maxima S.L V6

Very disgusting because I was taking my cancer sick husband to the doctor and broke down in the middle of the street. Had to call my neighbor to help, unfortunately she was busy. Call a taxi and had to pay $100.00 to take my husband for chemotherapy. Not happy, first the paint job sucks because the paint peeled and now this horrible transmission. Wish all the best with their bad experience with Nissan.

- , Lauderhill, US

Mar 162015

Maxima SL 3.5L Sl V6

I love my car and its color but the transmission has been a real financial hardship for me and my family. Now, my car is totally unreliable and too costly to continuous repair.

- , Cordova, US

May 122017

Maxima Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I bought my 2006 Nissan Maxima with the 5 speed auto trans. The same day I drove it home, it started to shift super hard from 1st to 2nd gear...also hard shift from 2nd to 1st. I ended up coming to a light and the trans shifted down so hard, I literally hit the steering wheel with my chin. when the light changed green, I slowly accelerated and about broke my neck when it shifted to 2nd. the trans problem is really bad. I talked to nissan and they said the only thing they do for that problem is replace the transmission. they don't replace the linear solenoids or valve body. they said it would cost $4000 just for the transmission...not installed...i didn't pay that much for the car to begin with. I bought the car AS-IS from a dealership and they won't help any. guess I'm screwed. there was a lawsuit filed in 2011 for this problem. but still nothing has been done...WTH!!!!

- , Warner Robins, GA, US

Feb 022017

Maxima SL V6

I am a working mother, and bought this vehicle with my tax money. I haven't even been able to drive this car because I don't feel safe traveling with my daughter in it or myself. I am out of a vehicle. And do not have the money to repair this EXPENSIVE problem that happens to everyone!

- , Stoughton, MA, US

May 012017

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I bought this car in 2013 and have only put 30,000 miles on it. I have put over $1,000 into this car since paying it off in February. The car was good until the last few weeks I noticed all my lights on the dash came on ABS, TCS off, Brake, and Slip we did the brakes and rotors, engine mount, replaced front calipers, did a tune up and now the transmission needs to be replaced because it is causing all the other lights to come on and we were not getting any codes for the ABS, brake, or TCS off lights on dash. We are noticing the slip light keeps blinking on and off now and when we make turns we are loosing acceleration. The transmission needs to be replaced.

- , Burlington, NJ, US

Oct 262016

Maxima SE 3.5L

First it started slipping, then the entire car violently jerks when switching from park to reverse or Drive. Now, it will go into drive but starts out in third gear and never changes. So the rpms rev really high from a stand still until you get up to 40 mph before it actually starts moving properly. I'm petrified to pull out into the road in front of another car for fear of being hit because it has no power until reaching 40mph.

I have replaced the valve body at a cost of $850.00, I replaced all three main solenoids at a cost of $130, I replaced the transmission fluid several times at a cost of $180, I had the transgo shift kit installed at a cost of $350. and nothing has corrected the problem. The jerks have calmed down, yet it still barely moves in drive. Nissan should replace what they know if a defective product.

- , Benson, US

Feb 022017

Maxima SE V6

In dec 2016 I bought this car. It ran for a month and then the transmission started to jerk and slip which eventually resulted in breaking down on the side of the road while myself and children where in it. I have had a mechanic look at it. the transmission is done! he informed me that I will have to buy a new transmission and then pay to have him or someone else put it in. come to find out by several people there was a recall on these transmissions. Nissan needs to take care of this ASAP.

- , Melbourne, FL, US

Feb 152017

Maxima SL 3.6L

Nissan replaced the transmission at 106k miles. It's now shot again at 148k.

- , Mc Donald, PA, US

May 232013

Maxima SL 3.6L

This problem occurred at 106k miles and Nissan replaced the transmission with a remanufactured transmission. I now have the problem again at 148k miles.

- , Mc Donald, PA, US

Oct 032016

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

I'm very disappointed in Nissan,they know that transmission in those cars( Maxima) are no good!

- , Springfield, VA, USA

Jan 112016

Maxima SE/SL 3.5L

I have a 2006 maxima which I purchased new in January, 2007. I have less than 70,000 miles on my car. I called Nissan to tell them of the problem, they did return the call and of course they told me that there was nothing they could do because I have exceeded the miles and years. I explained to them that this was my third Nissan and that they have lost me as a customer and I also told them that it was unfair to their customers that they haven't had a recall on their transmissions because they have had so many complaints and that they knew about the problems before hand. And they still told me that there was nothing that they could do. Like so many of us we are stuck with the lemon we purchased from them but I will not buy a NISSAN EVER AGAIN. I PRAY THAT THEY WILL NEVER SELL ANOTHER NISSAN!!!!!!

- , Summerville, SC, US

May 292016

Maxima SE/SL 3.5L

AT THIS POINT I DON'T LIKE DRIVING MY CAR ANYMORE. I AM AFRAID OF GETTING STRANDED OR IT STOPS ON ME IN TRAFFIC. I AM REALLY PARANOID NOW AND BECAUSE OF THE TRANSMISSION ITS MAKING A NOISE NOW, AND I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO GET IT REPAIRED AND THAT REALLY SUCKS. I HOPE ONE DAY SOON THEY WILL PAY BIG TIME BECAUSE IT'S UNFAIR AND NOT RIGHT.

- , Summerville, SC, US

Dec 082015

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Transmission slips and jerks during take-off and acceleration. It has become a safety issue in not knowing whether the vehicle will move when trying to cross traffic, clear an intersection, etc.

- , Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Feb 022016

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

Sometimes the transmission works fine, but for some reason jerks, or shifts abruptly. I always make sure the transmission is filled with oil, so I can eliminate that problem. The problem is annoying, I do not have the money to replace a transmission every time is messed up.

- , Rensselaer, NY, USA

Oct 202009

Maxima V6

Totally frustrated with vehicle. I had a 99 max w/over 225k, no problems ran strong. Since I had such a good experience with 99 I bought the car of my dreams brand new in 06. What a let down! the car jerks and skips for the last 7 years! I want to fix it but I don't know who to trust. too many bad stories about the " StealerShip " supposedly fixing cars only to be broken hearted within 6 months with same problem.

- , Riverview, FL, USA

Aug 012016

Maxima SL 3.5L V5

There's not much else to say that has not been said by others regarding the premature transmission failure. My first car was a brand new 1987 Nissan Sentra and it had a bad manual transmission (warped flywheel) and Nissan refused to fix it even though it was under warranty. The clutch failed prematurely. I swore then I'd never buy another Nissan. Almost 30 years later, I figured I'd give Nissan another shot and here I am swearing I will never buy another Nissan again. I'm not sure how this company has any loyal customers.

- , Medford, NJ, USA