- December 1: Nissan Recalls Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed Trucks recalls | 3 days ago
- November 29: Nissan Class Action Lawsuit Says Airbags Suddenly Deploy news | 5 days ago
- November 6: Nissan Rogue Hybrids Recalled For Stalled Engines recalls | 28 days ago
- October 13: Nissan Recalls Hybrid Vehicles That May Stall recalls | 52 days ago
- October 7: Nissan CVT Lawsuit Settlement Reached news | 58 days ago
High Pitch Whining Noise From Motor
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Nissan Maxima has a significant trend of timing chain problems, which can ruin the engine.
Nissan used an "interference" design where the valves pop out into the path of the cylinder heads. Normally the timing chain keeps the valves opening at all the right times, but when Nissan's timing chain breaks or "jumps time", the cylinder heads smash into open valves & cause thousands of dollars of engine damage in one very quick & surprisingly unimpressive "PPPRRRRING!" sound.
Nissan Maximas from 2004-2006 have a widespread transmission defect, but judging from our complaint data, Nissan managed to fix the transmission problem for the 2007 model. The engine timing chain problems are a serious concern though.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 117,750 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 7 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace timing chain (3 reports)
- this whining sound only be solved with new timing chain (2 reports)
- change timing chains and tensioner (1 reports)
- not sure (1 reports)