- December 20: Nissan Titan Recall Issued After 'Thermal Incident' recalls | 37 days ago
- December 11: Nissan Sentra Recall Ordered For Takata Airbag Inflators recalls | 46 days ago
- November 1: Nissan AEB Malfunction Lawsuit to Continue news | 86 days ago
Nissan Preliminary Evaluation PE11004: Frame/Body Structure Corrosion
2004 Nissan Pathfinder
Frame/Body Structure Corrosion
- In their Defect Information Report (DIR) of April 20, 2011, Nissan North America, Inc. (Nissan) notified NHTSA that it would conduct a safety recall of certain 1996-2004 Nissan Pathfinder and 1997-2003 Infinity QX4 vehicles to repair corrosion damage to the driver's side front strut tower.The vehicles included in the recall are those that were originally sold, or are currently registered in salt belt states including Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia.The DIR states in part, "...the strut housing may crack and pull away from the inner hood ledge assembly.This could lead to the strut housing panel separating and contacting the steering column lower shaft."Contact with the steering column lower shaft can cause steering difficulties and may require an increase in steering effort by the driver.If the steering column lower shaft completely fractured it would result in a total loss of steering control.In some cases, the strut housing panel can contact or affect adjacent brake system components.Complainants reported experiencing either steering or brake system issues, and in some cases, both.Nissan dealer's will inspect the strut housing and, based on the level of corrosion found, make an assessment as to how to remedy the vehicle (see defect information report for additional details). Brake system components adjacent to, and in the area of, the strut tower (i.e., brake master cylinder, left front brake line, ABS wire harness, etc.) will also be inspected.
- Documents (7)
- OPENING RESUME APPROVED
- NISSAN 4/18/2011 LETTER TO ODI
- CLOSING RESUME APPROVED
- IR TO MFR - TO INVESTIGATE ALLEGATIONS OF FRAME/BODY STRUCTURE CORROSION IN MODEL YEAR 1996 - 2004 NISSAN PATHFINDER. * 02/25/11 * P
- NISSAN 5-2-2011 LETTER TO ODI WITH ATTACHMENT
- MEMO TO FILE *06/07/11*p
- NISSAN 4/18/2011 ATTACHMENT PRODUCT DATA [ACCESS DATEBASE]
Click a tab for more information.