ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Nissan Quest is great in terms of low complaints, but it also has an abysmal crash test rating for one very common type of impact.

The IIHS' "small overlap" crash test rates the vehicle's ability to protect front seat passengers when the car is impacted across 1/4th of the front bumper.

This mimics hitting a pole, or an off-center crash into another car — more common in the real world than a full frontal head-on crash.

See our crash test page for the detailed results — As you can see from the IIHS' crash test video, the Nissan Quest does not protect intrusion into the passenger space & major injury to the front seat passengers is likely.

8.5

$4,150

1. replace transmission (11 reports)
2012 Nissan Quest transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Quest:

2012 Nissan Quest Owner Comments

Jul 202018

Quest SV

• CVT transmission

HELP!!!! I just finished paying off my 2012 Nissan Quest when the transmission failed. I took it to the dealer and the check engine codes had 3 of the 4 "kill" codes for the CVT transmission. They said a new transmission would run $5000. dollars. My odometer was at 90,000 miles when this occurred. It definitely was a flawed design with the CVT. I believe Nissan should take care of this! I noticed that other people have experienced this problem also.

How can I get Nissan to replace this? I am not happy! What can I do? 5,000 dollars is out of the question for a problem that I did not create.

- Rob W., Los Alamitos, US

Jul 112018

Quest V6

Transmission gave up and I do not have the money right now to fix it! I would like to know if there are any other people out there with the same issue. :( Not done paying the van yet an transmission already failed! Went to the dealer and they want 5k to fix it. HELP!

Update from Jul 25, 2018: I think I will go to the attorney generals office and see if we can all get help... I was reading through here and it looks like there are quite a few of us going through the same thing.

- Vanessa F., Laveen, AZ, US

Apr 122018

Quest S

• CVT transmission

The acceleration has been very slow for a while and then the gears started slipping a bit. We brought it to the dealership and found that the transmission needs to be completely replaced. We still owe $12,000 on this van and can't afford to go upside-down on it for trading it in. I checked with a couple other transmission places and the CVT transmission can't be repaired. Minimum cost to repair it anywhere was about $3500, which would only cover 1 year or 12,000 miles, for a used transmission.

I've now read a bunch of problems with the CVT transmissions and that they cannot be repaired which raises the cost of replacing it huge! Nissan is yet to do anything about it. So, now I can't afford to replace it or repair it. This especially stinks because I had to replace the A/C last year and just bought new tires.

Finding out that all, or at least most, Nissan's have CVT transmissions, then this is the last time I buy a Nissan.

- Rick A., Lockhart, US

Aug 012017

Quest SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

We thought the 60K warranty on the 2012 Nissan Quest was a little low when we bought it brand new, now we know why.

At ~76,000 miles the van would take a few seconds to "spin up" before accelerating, a few days later it started losing power going uphill. We'd have to floor it to get it to creep up a hill.

We took it to a local shop that diagnosed it with a failed CVT transmission. Doing some research online I now see MANY other 2012 Quest owners with the same problem which seems to be a widespread Nissan issue.

We called Nissan Consumer Affairs, the person on the phone said our van doesn't fall into the vehicle model/age range for the extended warranty on CVT transmissions. The guy on the phone recommended we take the van to a Nissan dealership to get it "officially" diagnosed and try to start a warranty claim. He said depending on the caseworker we get, they MIGHT have compassion and cover it.

WHAT!!11!1???

- Arthur C., Kerrville, US

Aug 122017

Quest SL V6, 3.5L

• CVT transmission

Van has had issues slipping on hills after stopping with gears grinding and jerking for the past couple months. Brought in to dealership and they could not replicate. I mentioned I thought it might be transmission and how we can do preventive maintenance. They recommended flushing transmission fluid for $125 which I did. Less than month later, slipping still occurred on hills after stops.

On way home this past Saturday, I was going about 30-40 mph when there was a stop light on a slight incline. I slowed down to about 5-10mph when the light turned green. I then pressed the accelerator pedal and the gear grinded and I had no power. As I pressed the gas no power was coming to van and I had to pull over. I had to turn off the vehicle and wait a minute or so and after starting the car, the vehicle seemed normal again. I noticed the check engine light also was now on.

Brought the van in to dealership and after doing a drive test and replicating on a hill, they confirmed the slipping. They also did a diagnostic and confirmed transmission needed to be replaced to tune of $4100. Looking up this issue there appears to be numerous problems with Nissan CVT transmissions. Nissan also provided an extended warranty for prior van models from 2003-2010 to 100k miles. My vehicle is a 2012 Nissan Quest with 81k miles. With all the Nissan's having CVT Transmission issues, it appears there is a pervasive issue that needs to be addressed by Nissan.

- Ben C., Pacifica, US

Apr 052017

Quest SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

The shop doing the repair told me this was the 3rd 2012 Nissan Quest they've replaced the transmission in over the last 3 months. The CVT transmission cannot be rebuilt, but the replacement Nissan provides comes with just a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. Having to replace a transmission with less than 85,000 miles is ridiculous. Getting a new transmission with such a short warranty is ludicrous. Thankfully, the transmission shop has another provider who provides a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. Needless to say, I'll never buy another Nissan with a CVT transmission!

- Shawn B., Bowling Green, KY, US

Feb 012017

Quest ES V6

I BROUGHT THIS PROBLEM TO ONE OF THE NISSAN DEALERS IN VALLEJO, CA AND THEY SAID THAT I HAVE TO PAY TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION. THEY SAID THAT THERE'S NO RECALL OR PROBLEM LIKE THIS THAT THEY KNOW OFF EVEN THOUGH I SHOWED AN ARTICLE FROM OTHER OWNERS THAT'S HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. CALLED NISSAN CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEY WON'T OWN UP TO IT. REALLY FRUSTRATING SINCE THIS IS THE ONLY VAN WE USE FOR MY FAMILY BUT I DON'T WANT TO PAY $4000 FOR A FAULTY TRANSMISSION THAT NISSAN SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR.

- DaVe B., Benicia, CA, US

Jul 292016

Quest

We are currently being told by the dealership that the transmission has completely failed. The dealership can not help us and quoted us a $4000.00 estimate to replace it. I have contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and I am awaiting a call from the regional representative. There are still approx. 14 payments left on it. If Nissan fails to help I will be extremely disappointed.

- Tim L., Cordova, MD, USA

Nov 142015

Quest LE 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

I was surprised that this transmission had a total failure at 78,000 miles. This vehicle has been maintained only by Nissan, and, we had purchased a Nissan maintenance plan when the vehicle was purchased new. So, the vehicle breaks down late on a Saturday afternoon and I call Nissan Roadside Assistance. They tell me they cannot pickup the car until Monday, so, I had to leave it on the street.

On Monday the car is picked up and taken to the dealer in Bergenfield, NJ. It is diagnosed and I am told it needs a new transmission, which will take a couple of days. The next day, the dealer calls me and tells me there is no transmission locally available and one must be trucked in from Florida. This is not the fault of the dealer. So, I call Nissan customer service and explain that I am severely handicapped and my vehicle is equipped with a special lift that enables me to load and unload a mobility scooter, and, I would like to know if the transmission could be sent by express delivery, flown up, and, I would be willing to pay for that! They refused and told me I would have to wait. So, I stayed with some friends for a week waiting for the transmission. A portion of my extended warranty covers me for additional expenses up to $500 I submitted a claim for $503.00. The sent me a check for $420 with no explanation. I have written to them to ask why I did not receive the full amount and have not yet heard from them.

In conversation with the dealer when my car was ready, the service writer told me that Nissan is having so many problems with the CVT transmissions that they cannot keep enough of them in stock to deal with the problem. However, I was more put out by the attitude of their customer service. This is the 3rd Nissan I have had, and, it may be the last. I am due to replace this car later this year and think I will wait for the new Chrysler Pacifica to come out. Besides, Nissan has not made any significant changes to the Quest in quite a few years.

- Bruce J., Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Dec 212015

Quest LE 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

Our 2012 Nissan LE Quest transmission just blew up after only 80,000 miles. After some research on-line I see this has been a past problem and at one time, 2010 and before the warranty was extended to 120,000 miles which was then discontinued because it was costing Nissan too much for all the repairs.

I have been stuck with a known faulty product by Nissan, in fact the dealer sold the idea that this transmission was a superior product over the standard automatic transmissions. What a line of B.S.

On top of that, 2 weeks before the transmission broke the front wheel bearing assembly had to be replaced which was $450.

Lesson learned….do your research.

That will be the last Nissan product I will be purchasing.

“Innovation that cost the customers money” should be the new advertisement slogan.

- brento, Simpsonville, SC, USA

Oct 152015

Quest S 3.5L

• CVT transmission

REPLACED THE TRANSMISSION. AGAIN!!!!!! 3RD TIME!!! IN THREE YEARS !!! ABSOLUTELY NO HELP FROM NISSAN!!! GRANTED, THE MILEAGE IS HIGH, BUT THESE TRANSMISSION SEEM TO GO OUT JUST AFTER WARRANTY EXPIRES!!! NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A NISSAN!!!

- budpoulin, hernando, MS, USA