CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

9.3

$3,880.00

1. new radiator and transmission rebuild (89 reports)
  2. replaced radiator and transmission (49 reports)
  4. replace transmission (35 reports)
  5. new radiator, transmission, and flush fluids (33 reports)
  6. replace radiator and transmission (28 reports)
2005 Nissan Xterra transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Xterra:

2005 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 16)

Feb 242016

Xterra 3.5L

Nissan pulls this extended coverage stuff all the time with a $3000 deductible???? A major defect and NO ASSISTANCE!! Avoid buying a NISSAN, go Honda!!

- , Pittsfield, MA, USA

Nov 132017

Xterra SE 4.0L

Nissan, how about letting us know that we ALL need to change the defective radiator before this disaster strikes.

I heard about the Transmission/radiator issue and brought it into the dealer at 70K miles (under warranty) for a check. They checked it out and said my vehicle was not affected by the problem. 35K miles later my transmission has been destroyed by a coolant leak.

I specifically asked if I should change the radiator proactively and they said no. Nissan has instructed their technicians to lie to customers about this issue. Nissan should be notifying all impacted owners and recommending an immediate radiator replacement. This $4000 repair can be avoided with a $500 repair up front. I am not happy about this at all.

- , Providence, US

Dec 182017

Xterra 4.0L V6

Okay so, I bought the Nissan Xterra in 2005 and this is the first time it gave me such a big problem that will cost me thousands of dollars to get it fixed. The transmission has failed due to the leakage from the radiator coolant into the transmission. I saw roughly around 300 complaints from others about the transmission problem and this is a serious issue and I don't understand why the radiator coolant would leak into the transmission in the first place? I think this problem is most likely to occur if the mileage on your car has crossed over 100K because obviously at that point you are too late and the warranty has expired and you have no choice but to pay out of your own pocket. And the cost for this is insanely high, I was told the estimate to be around $6,000 and I don't think it makes any sense to pay such high amount for something that wasn't even your mistake. Nissan should list this as a subject of recall or at least they need to look over this and do something about the problem because it would be ridiculous and unprofessional to ignore such a big problem, especially when there are so many others complaining about this.

- , Hayward, US

Apr 162016

Xterra SE 4.0L V6

So, we bought this car just shy of two years ago. I am not one to buy the extended warranty but we did in this case. I became aware of the "intermixing" issue after researching the service engine soon light that had come on for bad sensor. I replaced two sensors and everything seemed fine...was crossing my fingers and hoping that my Xterra wouldn't fall victim to the radiator problem that so many others were having. Everything seemed okay and then we went to leave a relatives house and the car wouldn't start. I checked the starter, all of the electrical connections and the battery and they all checked out. A friend of mine jumped the starter and we were able to baby it home chugging all the way. I discovered the "milky" trans fluid not by the radiator overflow but by draining the fluid to look in to the TCM after talking to a mechanic. I took the car to the dealership that I bought it from and my issue was confirmed. Because of the cost of the repair, which is close to what the car is worth, an adjustor for the warranty company had to come out to inspect the car. His finding was that the radiator failed causing the transmission to fail...therefore making it not covered by the extended warranty. I am now stuck trying to figure out what I can do with a car that I owe more on than it is worth with a catastrophic issue that I can't pay for...my Xterra has 87,000 miles on it roughly...I will never buy another Nissan after this and am very upset with the car lot that sold it to me....I wonder what they knew of this issue.

- , Yakima, WA, USA

Jun 012016

Xterra 4L V6

Engine coolant/transmission coolant mixing -> engine coolant in transmission fluid -> transmission will die!!!

I want Nissan to fix my transmission and radiator without me paying for it or cut me a check for my used truck (current retail value and not their trade in value).

- , West Vancouver, BC, Canada

Jun 122017

Xterra

If an accident occurred I would not hesitate to pay, but to have to pay for a defect in the radiator/transmission is not acceptable. How was there no mechanism to prevent the fluid from the radiator from entering into the transmission? We had no warning about this problem. Transmission was working without issue. It took us completely by surprise and have not the money to fix it nor to buy a different car. Badly designed.

- , Elizabeth City, US

Jun 102017

Xterra SE

This is the second time in 7 months that I had transmission problems. The first one was in November 2016 when I had to get a rebuilt transmission for $4,500.00. I even asked the dealer at that time if this was the radiator leaking into the transmission and they said "no." Now, 7 months later, the transmission went out again. This time they said the radiator leaked into the transmission, so I need another transmission (which is covered under the warrant from the last one) and a new radiator (another $850.00 out of my pocket!).

This has been a great SUV, but once it reached 10 years old, it seemed to go downhill. I have spent almost $8,000.00 in repairs since then and am tired of dealing with it. If Nissan is aware of this problem, then we need to be compensated for our expenses and anguish. I will never buy another Nissan again.

- , La Verne, US

Mar 172017

Xterra 3.2L V6

This is a know problem from Nissan and should be subject of recall. Dissappointed to find out that Nissan is aware of the problem and refuses to take ownership costing customers thousands of dollars for the repair.

- , CARLSBAD, CA, US

Apr 302017

Xterra S 3.2L V6

Stuck on the cross bronx expressway with cars flying passed us. we couldnt get out of the car. no where to go and had to wait there for over a hour. very scary situation that nissan put us through.

- , East Rockaway, NY, US

Jul 192015

Xterra

Experienced problems accelerating and vibrations/noises similar to driving over rumble strips. Mechanic diagnosed as radiator coolant mixing with the transmission fluid. Vehicle was transferred to Nissan dealership and we opened a case with Nissan Consumer Affairs. Vehicle only had 75k miles however since it was 9 years old was subject to the $3,000 deductible on extended warranty. After three weeks of "reviewing" the case while our vehicle was sitting at the dealership, Nissan informed us that there was nothing they could do. They have been willing to work with us in the past, but this time we were punished for not putting a lot of miles on our vehicle. Because we needed to continue driving the vehicle, we paid the $3,000 deductible to have the transmission replaced. Nissan should be held accountable for this known defect that could cause significant accidents and injuries if the transmission fails while driving on busy roadways.

- , Minneapolis, MN, US

Mar 142017

Xterra ES

From this website, I called Nissan Consumer Affairs and the young man I spoke to was no help at all. I told him that I had read where Nissan was taking care of this issue until 2016 with an extended warranty. He said that my vehicle was not involved in that. I asked: Is my car not a 2005 Nissan Xterra? He started replying with a scripted response. Nissan would have to examine and diagnose the vehicle to see if there is an issue that they may or may not handle.

- , Simi Valley, CA, US

Feb 092017

Xterra

Nissan is a rotten company. Now I have a giant paper weight in my driveway.

- , Roselle, US

Jan 082017

Xterra S Sport 4.0L V6

STAY AWAY FROM ALL NISSAN'S!!! If you don't want nothing but problems...I have a 05 Nissan Xterra and I have had nothing but problems WITH IT!!! I have put thousands into it for problem's after problems, and now this. I can not afford another "$3,800" for a trans rebuild and kit a trans flush, a new trans inter cooler and new radiator, labor etc....Nissan's are nothing but pieces of sh*t as I have found out the hard way... STAY AWAY!!!

- , Essex Jct, VT, USA

Feb 152010

Xterra V6

Purchased one year old Xterra with low miles from the Nissan dealer for my daughter for about $25,000. After about 4 years the radiator developed a small leak which was not perceptible but gradually leaked radiator fluid through a line that was connected to the automatic transmission which in short time completely destroyed the transmission as well as the radiator. Costs were about $4,800. This was a design defect which was acknowledged by Nissan and they eventually decided to make some refunds for repairs although not near enough to pay for the out of pocket costs. I believe my daughter received $1,000 but was still out the $3,800 in additional costs. This was not all, however. Not too long after the engine blocked cracked for no apparent reason and , no, the temperatures were not low. No one including Nissan could figure out why the block cracked and, of course by then, no warranty. She got back just pennies on the dollar when getting rid of this piece of junk. No more Nissans for us.

- , Bainbridge Island, WA, USA

May 132016

Xterra XE V6

I purchased my 2005 Nissan Exterra almost 2 years ago. Wish I would have done the research on it beforehand!! This is my 4th owned Nissan and never again will I buy this product. I cannot believe that Nissan will not stand behind their defected radiator/transmission. What a shame!! Now I'm out of a vehicle and have a loan to pay off!! Thanks for nothing Nissan!!

- , Emerald Isle, NC, US

Aug 312016

Xterra 4.0L

This is a vehicle that was known for this problem Leaking Antifreeze into Transmission and sold without making this buyer aware, The Radiator was replaced by Seller, but the problem had not been corrected. Now Told not under warranty.

- , Shirley, NY, USA

Mar 012016

Xterra S 4.0L

Hi,

I purchased this 2005 Nissan Xterra S with 132,000 in 2016. It is in good overall condition, good running and driving. The only things I did to it after I purchased it was put new brakes and rotors as well as change the fluids. I didn't have to replace the rotors but it was easier than getting them turned. Shortly after I bought it the transmission started making a whining noise on occasion, then it started slipping in reverse. Finally one day it would not shift out of first, then finally would not move. I check the transmission fluid and it still looked good, no water or antifreeze. I let it sit for a few hours then it would engage but the whining noise came back and I hade 2 codes come up, both were transmission solenoids.

I took it to a local transmission shop and when they dropped the pan it had fluid contamination. We've had some rain and flooding issues in Texas this year but the vehicle was never in standing water. The shop said it was antifreeze and not water. The shop asked me about the radiator and informed me of the Nissan contamination issue. The shop said the transmission was pretty much shot. We looked around for a used transmission but they are very pricey since it had to be a 2005. I bought a used transmission for $900 and a new Denso radiator for just over $100. My total bill was just over $2100 which seems like a lot but with a shortage or good used parts and the cost of labor this was a good deal.

This is my 5th Nissan I've owned over the years, my last two were bought new. A 2001 Xterra and a 2013 Frontier SL. They have all served me well and I've been very happy with them. This situation is a little different since it was a known problem. Even if Nissan was not going cover the cost I think they had the responsibility to let their customer know so we could have changed out the radiators or went to the external trans coolers. What I paid for this issue was a high percentage of the value of this vehicle. Any help with the cost would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Tom

- , Conroe, TX, USA

Jul 012016

Xterra SE

Add me to the list of frustrated, frightened, and generally ticked off owners of a 2005 Nissan Xterra. My car, which I bought new in the fall of 2005, has 145,000 miles on it and has been the most fantastic car; never a problem in all this time. Only minor, expected service and typical replacement of various things like brakes and tires.

Then last month, I'm in a parking lot and suddenly the car will just not go over 10MPH. Just crawls. I managed to get it onto the freeway (only way home) and suddenly it speeds up and is normal. I got to my driveway, shut it off and gave it a rest. Went out a few hours later and yes, same problem. Will not accelerate. Took it to a mechanic who said the transmission is fine, but needed U joints and something about bushings--dunno, I'm not a car person. Anyway that was 400.00 and not a huge problem. Drove it home and it was great until the next day when I took it out for a ride.

This time car slowed to 10mph and on came these lamps: VDC off, slip, check engine light. Looked it up and there were instances of various sensors that effected this. The mechanic took it for a ride, did a diagnostic and determined it was actually the fuel sensor, so he replaced the fuel tank (the parts are one unit) for another 300.00. Again, he could not find a problem with the transmission. That didn't make total sense to me but I am aware that fuel tanks are not immortal and my gas gauge had been wonky.

Got the car back, drove it on the freeway and in traffic at fairly high speed, it lost power. I barely made it to the side of the road. Had it towed to a Nissan dealer and just as reported here--it was a cracked radiator that leaked fluid into the transmission.

Now, the car is old and I needed to buy a new one, but I could have been killed due to a problem the company knew about and for which they failed to issue a recall.

Never again with a Nissan and I plan on posting my experience everywhere I can.

- , Los Angele, CA, USA

Aug 132016

Xterra 4,0

Transmission cooler failed and caused anti-freeze to mix with ATF in the transmission causing the tranny gears to slip and mis shift and fail. Quoted $5,200 to repair

- , Spokane, WA, USA

Jul 162016

Xterra

I bought my 2005 Xterra brand new in January 2006 and didn't really have any significant problems with it for the next 10 year, having driven it 101,800 miles. However, a week ago I noticed my service engine light came on and my car was having difficulty accelerating out of first gear, but once it got to the higher speeds it seemed fine.

Took it into the Nissan dealership to have a diagnostic done, and they came back with a total bill of $10849 worth of repairs! The car is only worth about 6K, so of course this seems ridiculous. When they explained to me what was wrong, they said the main things you really need to focus on is replacing the transmission and the radiator because there was a leaky hose in the radiator and the fluids from your radiator have now been cross contaminated with your transmission and both systems must now be replaced. They also said, but we will updated the radiator with a newer version.

When I did some research on the problem, I found out about it being a known design defect with the radiator, the class action lawsuit because of it and the extended warranty. When I asked the dealer about it (since they failed to mention any of that to me) they said, well yes it is a known issue with those radiators and there was an extended warranty - but I was 6 months out of the window.

They recommended I take it up with Nissan Corporate and file a claim, to which Nissan corporate did an investigation and came back completely un-empathetic saying - basically saying sorry, you are sh*t out of luck because you are outside the extended warranty window. Needless to say, I'm super pissed at the fact that they didn't do an actual recall on this known defective part (especially considering how dangerous it could be when the transmission actually goes out) and when you bring it up, they don't give two sh*ts about you as a customer. I thought I loved Nissan and that my next car would have been to upgrade to their luxury line (an Infiniti SUV), but now I will never buy a Nissan again. Very clear that this is totally unfair for Nissan consumers and I hope that the investigation that is going on will result in another class action law suit that makes Nissan pay for what is really their fault.

The local dealership ended up negotiating with me to at least replace the radiator for free, but I still have to pay over 5K out of pocket to get the transmission replaced.

- , Seattle, WA, USA