CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

9.3

$3,879.00

1. new radiator and transmission rebuild (89 reports)
  2. replaced radiator and transmission (48 reports)
  4. replace transmission (35 reports)
  5. new radiator, transmission, and flush fluids (32 reports)
  6. replace radiator and transmission (28 reports)
2005 Nissan Xterra transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Xterra:

2005 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 16)

Apr 242016

Xterra Off Road

I took my car in several times because it periodically felt like I was driving on the rumble strip when I was on a smooth road. Of course it never happened when they drove it and they found nothing wrong. Finally one day it acted like it was trying to start in the wrong gear and the check engine light came on. That is when I found out there was coolant in the transmission and both the radiator and transmission had to be replaced. I had less than 83,000 miles on my car, but it is 11 years old now so I had to pay for the whole thing. Since Nissan has known about this problem for a long time they should have come up with something to prevent the coolant from ever leaking into the transmission, there is no excuse for allowing this problem to continue occurring.

- , Lake Forest, CA, USA

Nov 302015

Xterra SE 4L V6

wE DROVE ON HIGHWAY AND THE NISSAN HAD STRON ODOR SMELL AND WE FOUND OUT THE ANTI FREEZE WAS MIXED UP WITH TRANSMISSION FLUID AND THE ENGINE OVERHEATED.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 042013

Xterra LX V6

We had just paid the car off. Then 2 months later the car overheated. A week later the Tranny failed. Nissan acted like this is the first time they had heard of this happening. My car had too many miles on it to be covered. It would cost about $7000.00 to repair. A complete loss. The NHTSA and Nissan are fraudulent in their handling of this issue.

- , Fullerton, CA, USA

Mar 102015

Xterra ES 3.2L V6

My father got me a 2005 Nissan Xterra for my birthday then the transmission failed within 4 months of me having it. Still to this day it is sitting in my front yard and I have been saving up for a new car because that really put me back. Just would like for a recall or something to happen because that is bullcrap!

- , Powhatan, VA, USA

Aug 012012

Xterra

It is absolute BULLSHIT that I had to pay the ENTIRE amount to get the problem fixed - and that was after Nissan acknowledged they had screwed up!! I don't have that kind of flippin money! And, Nissan STILL hasn't bothered to pay anything towards that $4k that I had to cough up. Offering to pay on it AFTER a $3k deductible was met FIRST....oh, and only if the problem occurred before a certain mileage was hit. SERIOUSLY!?!?!?! I used to think Nissan was great....NOT ANYMORE!!! Good Lord willing, I will NEVER NEVER NEVER buy another one!

- , Hertford, NC, US

May 022012

Xterra SE V6

Transmission was shifting erratically. I took it to the Nissan dealer and they told me it was caused by a faulty radiator and it would be $3500 to fix it. I had to pay it and they gave no explanation that it was a design problem and that it was Nissan's fault. I was just screwed.

- , Leesburg, FL, USA

Feb 252013

Xterra Off Road

The dealer paid half, I paid half. The warranty was 2 thousand miles expired. Petty. I should not have had to pay a dime for this repair of a defect and no one else should either. I urge the NTSB to complete this matter and instruct Nissan to refund all costs associated with the defective radiator and subsequent transmission failure to it's customers.

- , Gig Harbor, WA, US

Apr 292016

Xterra X V6

Add me to the list of Nissan owners getting screwed by the company who knows there is a problem. Every time I reached the 60-70 mph range the Xterra would have a horrible shudder. Had it checked out and to no surprise there is coolant and transmission fluid mixing. So off to the shop to replace everything and have them put the bypass in so it doesn't happen again. I don't get how Nissan is not held responsible for this problem. I don't really care how many miles I have on the rig, it's still faulty!

- , Jefferson City, MO, USA

Feb 242016

Xterra S 4.0L V6

There seems to be a trend with this particular issue of the radiator bursting sending coolant into the transmission rendering it destroyed and sending you back several thousands of dollars in repairs. Please include me in any other law suits against Nissan. I will never, ever, ever buy another Nissan again.!

- , Woodbridge, VA, USA

Mar 282016

Xterra Off Road Sport Utility 4.0L V6

We bought the Xterra from a used car dealer in North Phoenix last year and it has run great until last weekend when the Check Engine light came on. We took it to a certified mechanic on Monday morning (Today). We were told that the radiator has cracked a leaked water into the transmission and it will cost $3,000 - $4,000 to repair. Further we were told that the manufacturer (Nissan) knows of the problem and had issued a Recall that expired 2 months ago (January 2016) but even though our Xterra only has 77K miles on it we are out of luck. There was a class action law suit on this issue and we will likely be seeking remedies from both the Car Dealership and Nissan to help cover the cost of these repairs...

- , Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 172013

Xterra S 4.0L V6

Yet another quality part used by Nissan in the mid-2000's - the radiator. They must've bought this part from the same place that sold them their timing chain guides and sensors. I was riding with some friends when it suddenly felt like I was driving on those rumble strips on the side of the interstate to let drivers know that they're drifting off the road. A quick acceleration made it go away and it didn't happen again for the rest of the weekend. Days later it reoccured and continued to happen every so often, each time with an deceleration or acceleration resolving the issue temporarily. I then took to the Xterra forums to find that it was a cheap ass radiator that Nissan had installed that was leaking into the tranny.

I promptly bypassed the radiator and had the tranny flushed by Nissan for $270, of whom were well aware of the issue, yet offered no break in price. That same day I had read that Nissan had a quasi-recall and offered to pay for half of the repair for those who had less that 100K miles and who had to get both the tranny and radiator replaced, which was still $3K out of pocket for something that Nissan should've paid the entire cost of. I wasn't about to do that - it was a slap in the face. I went ahead and bought my own radiator with a lifetime warranty (even if you nail a deer, they'll replace it) and installed it myself. Total cost of repair for me was around $500, which still sucked, but was far better than $3K.

I've said it before - never again will I buy a Nissan.

- , Leander, TX, US

Oct 062015

Xterra

In 2012, I absolutely fell in love with my Xterra. When I bought it, on my way home that day the car would shutter at 40mph. I turned around and they told me it was the torque converter. Okay fine, its under warranty, supposedly they fixed it. Got it back, once again, at 40 mph, shuddered. Took it back and the dealership told me that it was the exhaust heat shield. Once again, I got it back, and ONCE AGAIN at 40 mph, it shuddered. I am beyond annoyed at this point. I bought a car that I LOVE, and i can't even drive it home yet. That should of been a red flag for me. They finally towed it to Nissan dealership and they had to replace the radiator because of coolant mixing in there. Present day, Oct 2015. I move to Texas from SC. I drive my car, no problems. The next week, my transmission goes out. completely. It loses all power and goes in the failure mode. The mechanic tells me that he has to replace the transmission with nearly a 3500.00 dollar price tag. I took out a loan and paid for it ( i had to, I don't have any other way of getting around. I get it back from the mechanic, a week later, it goes out again. I have had my car back for about two months now. Now, I am feeling the same shudder at 40 mph that I felt when I initially bought the car. I am SICK of this car! Nissan needs to DO something about this! When you have multiple after multiple complaints of the SAME exact problem, it needs to be addressed and fixed. I will never buy a Nissan AGAIN

- , Grapevine, TX, USA

Apr 042015

Xterra V6

I should have know to run when I bought the car at 86,000 miles from NISSAN OF RENO - and went to buy an extended warranty, specifically asking about this problem, and they said there was no warranty that covered transmission at that mileage, but that it was up to date with all RECALLS, and there was no problem with the radiator/transmission. 2 years later and I'm screwed, even though I had taken it in before it had any symptoms of failure (a fellow Xterra owner warned me, but it was too late).

I had to replace the radiator and rebuild the transmission because like so many others have said, THE DAMN RADIATOR LEAKS INTO THE TRANSMISSION AND RUINS IT. How a company is able to get away with this is outrageous, as is the stupid settlement which doesn't cover the car through the mileage when they KNOW the radiator is going to fail. LESS THAN A YEAR LATER, AND I HAVE MORE PROBLEMS TOO, but that's another complaint file. AVOID THE 2005 LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT - your wallet definitely does. LAST NISSAN EVER.

- , Truckee, USA

Jan 222016

Xterra SE 4L

I believe that Nissan is negligent in not doing a recall on these vehicles because of the faulty radiator leaking coolant into the transmission fluid. Although Nissan added an extended warranty for the radiator, they did nothing to resolve transmission problems resulting from the leaky radiator. An extended warranty did nothing to warn me, buying secondhand, that there were problems with this vehicle, in fact, I thought good! the guy bought an extended warranty! I asked the mechanic what happens if the transmission goes after I replace the control valve assembly. He said he would advise customers to get the whole transmission replaced. So now I'm faced with paying $7,000.00+ to replace the transmission, meaning I will spend over $20,000 for a 2005 vehicle...or trade it in for much less than it would be worth if it didn't have these factory flaws...if anyone wants it that is. I can't afford either of these scenarios. I realize that buying secondhand I am SOL, that it is BUYER BEWARE, but if Nissan had assumed responsibility for their mistakes in the first place, I wouldn't be in the position I am now. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER NISSAN AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW OF THEIR CORPORATE IRRESPONSIBILITY. I suppose someone will have to die because of transmission failure before something is done!

- , Prince George, BC, Canada

Jan 112016

Xterra S

Radiator cracked causing mixture of fluids-strawberry milkshake. Replaced radiator, flushed system. Twp months later, transmission is going out. This is not what an expectant mother of twins should have to worry about.

- , Dover, USA

Dec 282015

Xterra S V6

My 2005 Nissan Xterra transmission started slipping a few months ago. It got worse, I took my Xterra to Smithtown Nissan in N.Y.. They checked the transmission and told me the coolant fluid leaked into the transmission. I would need a transmission and radiator replacement. The price was over six thousand dollars.

- , Ronkonkoma, NY, USA

Dec 152015

Xterra SE V6

We have a 2005 Nissan Xterra with 76,800 miles. When we start to pull off from a stop, all we get is alot of revving and very slow moving. We took it to a mechanic and they replaced the radiator and solenoid valve. We just got it back today and the Service Engine Light is back on. After following steps on the internet we determined the ECM code P1754 which is Input Clutch Solenoid Valve. This is very confusing since we just paid $1,500+ for the service which included a solenoid. Also, we see many complaints about the radiator frying the transmission in many Nissan cars. Could this be our problem? We just emailed Nissan but based on the other complaints filed, we doubt that they will do anything. Beyond frustrating since our car has so few miles.

- , Lafayette, CA, USA

Dec 132015

Xterra Limited V6

My transmission went out. I had it towed to my dealer Midway Nissan. Phoenix. They said that my radiator had leaked coolant into my transmission (05 Nissan Xterra) they said it was not worth fixing, that the cost of replacing the radiator and the transmission was more than the value of my Xterra. They would take it as a trade in, a salesman offered me $1500 as a trade in. They never said that there was a problem with 05 Xterras.

I decided to some research online of 05 Xterras.I found that there was a big problem with 05 Xterras, with cracked radiators leaking coolant into the transmission, and Nissan did not do a recall on these radiators. They did not notify owners that there was problem and they should have. I bought this Nissan new off the lot. I had it for 10 years. I thought Nissan was a great car. I cannot understand how Nissan would do this to their customers. There should have been a recall on these radiators!

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 152014

Xterra SE 4.0L, V6

Nissan should be punished for this horrible design defect in an automobile which allows for transmission fluid to drain into the transmission (thoroughly destroying it), causing untold millions of dollars of damages to consumers. The problem doesn't usually arise until well after mileage on a vehicle which allows for recovery under the class action lawsuit which was previously filed and settled. It's wrong. Glad I wasn't part of that lawsuit because I feel compelled to file a separate lawsuit and try to recover for what I see as design defects that should be covered no matter what the mileage is on the car. The transmission and radiator should not have been designed in the manner the morons at Nissan designed them. What brainiac engineer came up with that design. No way should consumers suffer over $5,000 of damage and not be taken care of by Nissan where Nissan is fully responsible for such an irresponsible and short-sighted design for such an important piece of equipment in a vehicle. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

- , Brush Prairie, WA, USA

Oct 072015

Xterra ES V6

Bought this truck used in 2008 only 3 years old fastworward to 2015 the horror, radiator leaked into transmission

3200.00 to repair, transmission shop has taken since october 7 2015 till now November 16 2015 and I still don't have my truck repaired, they told me it was going to take 3 to 5 days, everyday is a different excuse, they supposedly repaired it on October 22 when they called me to go an pick it up from the Nissan dealership where they re-programmed the Valve Body, Picked it up and started hesitating and jerking on the freeway, called the shop and was told to pull over and they would pick it up, got off the freeway, parked at a restaurant, tow truck came picked it up and it would not start, was told that the Valve Body was burnt, waited another week while the Transmission shop and the Nissan dealership fought over who's fault it was to replace the Valve Body on the Transmission, finally it was replaced over the warranty, new Valve Body was installed and still was giving an error code on the computer, was taken back to Nissan Dealership to re-program, the truck sat at the dealership for almost a week before they looked at it with numerous calls from the Transmission shop, and I have called DAILY to get updated, the shop never initiaded the calls, I made comments on the Dealership's website about their service and the Manager called me and said it wasn't their fault it was on the Transmission shop end where the problem was, some tipe of sensor that needed to be replaced, now the truck is at the Transmission shop waiting on the sensor to be replaced and it is supposed to be ready today for pick up.....the shop gave me a loaner car, first it was a 2003 ford van all dirty with bottles of oil on the back no rear seats, then they gave me a 2003 subaru vue that smokes as i accelerate and it has some noise coming from the driver side wheel...my experience with this problem has been a total nightmare...I don't want to get a new car as I don't want to make monthly payments again.....the shop will give me 2yrs 24k miles warranty.....I hope I don't have any problems once I pick it up from the shop because I dread the time they will take to fix any future problems, also the Transmission shop did no honor a coupon they have on their website for 650 off any major transmission work at this place....the first estimate was for 1500 for the rebuild kit, when I mentioned the coupon I was told the estimate already had the discount included, WTF!!....total disaster of experience with this problem....

- , houston, TX, USA