- December 10: GM Fuel Pump Recall Ordered To Prevent Fires recalls | 4 days ago
- December 9: Chevrolet SS Power Steering Recall Issued a 2nd Time recalls | 5 days ago
- November 21: GM Seat Belt Pretensioner Fires Cause Truck Recall recalls | 23 days ago
- November 18: Chevrolet Equinox SUVs Recalled For Brake Caliper Problems recalls | 26 days ago
- November 10: GM Oil Consumption Settlement Finalized news | 34 days ago
Steering Locked Up While Driving
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.
The 2006 added it’s own special flare with gas leaks due to cracks in the “return portion of the modular reservoir assembly.” A recall of 2006 Cobalts was issued to fix the problem, but only to vehicles sold in or current registered in Arizona and Nevada, leaving other owners to pay for repairs themselves.
Between this car stalling while driving, giving owners fits with power steering failure and having it be a potential tinderbox because of gas leaks, we felt we had no other option than to award it our “Avoid Like the Plague” badge.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 61,450 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 20 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (13 reports)
- replace steering column (5 reports)
- electrical issue (1 reports)
- replace wire in steering column (1 reports)