6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (294 reports)
  3. replace panel (117 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 30 of 39)

Mar 122006

Explorer XLT V6

I already called the Ford Company about this crack in the back door by the Ford emblem.They told me that they have not received too many complaints about this problem. At the beginning was surprised as I thought someone did it, but I have seen so many trucks like mine with the exact same problem. This is a manufacturing problem that the FORD COMPANY should take care of. I met 2 people that have the same problem. People, please keep calling them to see if they can do something about it.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 012008

Explorer XLT V6

I've noticed the same problem on many other Explorers. Definitely a manufacturing defect that Ford must address.

Anybody there ??????????

- , Novi, MI, USA

Mar 262009

Explorer XLT V6

The panel under the rear window is cracked. I was surprised to see so many of these problems dating back to 2002 and Ford apparently has not fixed it. I found a seller on ebay that supplies a replacement panel and a You Tube video on replacing it.

Has anyone gotten Ford to step up to this problem ?

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 232009

Explorer V6

We weren't sure what caused the problem at first. Then we started noticing other 2004 Ford Explorers with the same problem on the road which clearly suggests that this is a Ford defect and should be a recall issue. It is very inconvenient as I am afraid to even open the back hatch as it might break the seal around the window and make the problem worse.

- , Union, KY, USA

Mar 302009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Its embarrassing and ugly and a defect and should be recalled and repaired by Ford, not the consumer.

- , New Hartford, CT, USA

Jan 042007

Explorer Limited V8

One day, just noticed it had a crack at the Ford emblem. I thought someone had bumped into it and cracked it. Later, I noticed other Explorers with the same problem. Then another crack appeared in another portion of the panel. I figured there was nothing Ford would do, and sure enough, looking at all these complaints they still do nothing.

- , Pearl City, HI, USA

Mar 132009

Explorer Eddy Bauer V6

Ford gave us the run around--recalls are only for safety reasons! Bumper to Bumper warranty are only for the THREE Year you pay for, if a flaw in the design shows up later you're out of luck.. THINK TWICE ABOUT BUYING A FORD

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Nov 012008

Explorer Limited V8

Like everyone else.. I walk out one day to open the back and there is a crack all the way through right around the emblem. I started noticing other Explorers with the SAME thing. Why won't Ford recall this.. It's obviously a huge problem!!

- , San Rafael, CA, USA

Feb 212009

Explorer NBX V6

Like many others, the crack around the Ford emblem just appeared. We were very upset when we saw the crack, but even more upset when we heard how many people were complaining about the same thing. We did have the crack fixed, because we want to try to keep the vehicle in good condition. We paid $375 just to have the piece replaced. We hadn't heard about the problem before it happened to us. A couple weeks after we noticed the crack in ours, we saw another Explorer with the whole strip missing. This is something that Ford should take care of.

- , Silver City, NM, USA

Dec 202008

Explorer 6.0L

found the crack around x-mas time, thought someone had tried to brake into the car. found out recently it is a defect and not my fault. the car is already past warranty so have no recourse with that. since is a defect the ford company should pay to get this fixed, it is unsightly.

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Sep 102008

Explorer XLT V6 Flex

Same as everybody else... one day it just appeared........

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

Sep 082008

Explorer

It's been several months since I walked outside one day to find out that the panel below my rear window had CRACKED all the way down and around the FORD emblem! I couldn't believe it. Nothing had hit it and I take really good care of my vehicle. I bought it brand new with only 8 miles on it just days after it was manufactured. I never called Ford about it because I figured they would tell me I must have done something to cause it to crack. About 3 weeks ago I went on a trip and someone passed me and I noticed theirs looked the EXACT same way....wow, maybe I'm not the only one....a few days later, I see ANOTHER one.....a few more days, I see another one in a parking lot and decided to talk to the owner. He told me that he contacted FORD and they wouldn't do anything about it. His cousin and his neighbor also had the same problem with theirs. Tonight I went to the store and when I came out there was yet ANOTHER ONE, just like mine only he didn't have "THE CRACK" . It looked like he just ripped the entire panel off and said the heck with it. I came to the conclusion that it wasn't my fault or something that I did to it, it's just faulty material or workmanship. I sat down at my computer tonight just to see if I could find anything online that might resemble my problem and MAN was I blown away!!!! I can't believe how many people this has happened to and all along I thought it was just me. I appreciate the person that mentioned the www.nhtsa.gov site. I didn't know about it, but I'm going to print it out and tape it above the CRACK with a note to other "Victims" to go to these sites if their rear panel looks like mine. I will contact FORD to make sure my name is added to their list of recipients of faulty materials. I don't remember seeing anything in their brochure about "Caution, this $25,000.00 vehicle will crack if used outdoors!" They didn't advertise that part, did they?

- , Gloucester, VA, USA

Mar 012008

Explorer XLT Sport 4.0L V6

So, yeah, I noticed this one day when loading groceries into the back. One of the first of many defects with this vehicle that I am STILL making payments on. Spoke to a dealer and he gave me the "it's a common problem" speech and said no recall had yet been issued (I'm not holding my breath). Around $300-400 o fix... and the Ford customer service center just keeps giving me the same BS lines. "Have it evaluated by a Ford technician" etc. etc. etc. Class Action suit!

- , Baldwin Park, CA, USA

Jan 152008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Can't believe we bought this beautiful Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition only to find out that the panel right below the rear window cracked! Just walked out one day to find this huge crack running from just below the window to the FORD emblem. A real disappointment! Called to find out if it was a recalled item....as almost every other Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer I've seen has the exact same crack...but was told NO. Real evidence of very poor customer service on FORD's end. Don't want to pay to get it fixed....who's saying that it won't happen again?? A real structural defect must be present for there to be so many Explorers on the road with the same problem!!

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jun 112008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

THERE IS A CRACK IN THE PANEL UNDER THE REAR WINDOW. I HAVE NOTICED SEVERAL EXPLORERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM. FORD WILL NOT REPAIR WITHOUT MY PAYING FOR WHICH IS CRAZY WHEN THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A MANUFACTURERS PROBLEM.

- , Florence, SC, USA

Mar 052009

Explorer 6.0L

This car is only used on Sunday's. I'm a rollback driver and work 6 days a week. Was washing the car and was the crack in panel below back window. This is a problem because the same thing happen to my sons car and my sisters in laws car. We all own FORD EXPLORERS. My car only had around 44000 miles on it. This should be a recall.

We try to buy American cars but they don't want to stand by the problems.Anyone out there with this problem please complaint. Maybe FORD will do the right thing.

- , Middle River, MD, US

Feb 122009

Explorer

Just searched and was surprised to find that it is a serious problem in manufacturing. I will contact Ford, just to have it on record, and maybe there will be some kinda recall in the future. I will heck into having it repaired.

- , Rowlett, TX, USA

Jan 102009

Explorer

When this happened it was early morning and very cold, January, in Kansas. I heard a crack and thought it was a window cracking. A few weeks later I noticed the frame was cracked. Ford really needs to recall these and fix.

- , Augusta, KS, USA

Aug 052008

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

We closed the door to the trunk while on vacation. We did not slam the door, but we heard a crack and the door was cracked right below the window. We saw other Ford Explorers with the same crack. This is something that we were looking for a class action suit notification to come in the mail. I don't know what to do.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 042009

Explorer V6

I went to put something in my truck on February 28,2009 and noticed the back hatch was cracked around the ford emblem just below the glass. The crack is about 1/4 inches wide and I also have a neighbor who just recently noticed hers as well. We compared the cracks and they were identical to the one that is on the sight. I called ford and they told me to take it to a dealer and see if they thought it was a defect, so we both did. We were told that there had been many complaints but they were not going to fix the problem. I think that is a load of crap and I intend to call the local tv station in my area and see if they can help. At least maybe it will bring more people to get together and get something done. thanks for listening.

- , Angier, NC, USA