- February 17: 1998 Ford Explorer Rollover Crash Will Cost Ford $152 Million news | 2 days ago
- February 14: Recall: Ford Mustang, Lincoln Nautilus and Lincoln Navigator recalls | 5 days ago
- February 13: Lincoln Continental Door Latch Recall Includes 28,200 Cars recalls | 6 days ago
- February 13: Ford F-150 Downshifting Problems Cause Recall of 1.5 Million Trucks recalls | 6 days ago
- February 6: Ford Recalls 2019 Rangers For Rollaway Risk recalls | 13 days ago
2005 Ford Explorer
Accessories - Exterior Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
2005 Ford Explorer Accessories - Exterior Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Trim On Back Hatch Breaks5
- Door Handles Break Off1
- Faulty Hinges For The Liftgate1
- Keyfob Not Working1
- Outside Mirrors Vibrate While Driving1
- Rear Hatch Does Not Open1
- Remotes Will Not Open Doors1
- NHTSA: Latches/Locks/Linkages: Hatchback/Liftgate: Lock4
- NHTSA: Latches/Locks/Linkages3
- NHTSA: Visibility/Wiper3
- NHTSA: Latches/Locks/Linkages: Tailgate: Latch2
- NHTSA: Visibility: Defroster/Defogger System2
- NHTSA: Latches/Locks/Linkages: Doors: Latch1
- NHTSA: Visibility: Rear Window Wiper/Washer 1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.