ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2005 Ford Focus electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Focus:

2005 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Apr 152011

Focus

2005 Ford Focus station wagon rear hatch: The wires that go to the hatch (near the top) are too short and so weak that after 26,000 miles the wires broke and due to this break/short the car would not go out of "park". the brake lights quit working and it blows one fuse after another fuse. Due to the wires being so short it is impossible to repair the breaks. This appears to be a very common problem from what I see on the internet. Ford should be liable for these repairs.

- Bishop, CA, USA

Mar 012011

Focus

Just like all the other complaints. 'my key became stuck in the ignition and was stranded hundreds of miles from home" how thoughtful of Ford to only charge me four- hundred dollars!

- Petersburgh, NY, USA

Jan 092011

Focus 4-cyl

2005 Ford Focus will not start when the weather turns cold or will start but for no apparent resin just stops running no fuel pressure and fuel pump does not run when the problem arises when the weather turns worm the car starts and runs fine does not display any engine fault coeds. From what I have read this seems to be a Ford problem that doesn't won┐T to except.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Oct 042010

Focus

Intermittently keys get stuck in ignition, after a few days they usually come out may be weeks or months before it happens again, while driving I hear a clicking noise, lights in the dashboard and all the gauge lights start flickering, if you shut off the car it will not start again and lose all power, no lights, locks anything power shuts down, I have been stranded due to this problem. Have already had some wires replaced, problem still continues..when it happens the car starts to hesitate, very dangerous if on an interstate or going through an intersection..car is back in the shop again for this issue, only 54000 miles on the car...even when I get it back from shop this time am afraid to drive the car, I was told it was fixed last time, who is to say that it is truly fixed this time, don't want to be stranded or in an accident.

- Apex, NC, USA

Oct 162010

Focus 4-cyl

The ignition in the Ford Focus falls apart and you are stranded!!!. I had my handicapped daughter with me and it was night. I can imagine a young woman by herself with this problem. You cannot be jumped or a mechanic cannot look at it. The only solution is to be towed, which for us was 49 miles away. Very unsafe for my daughter and me. We had to leave her walker behind and she was without it (immobile) until I could retrieve it. This car had less than 50,000 miles on it and had all checkups and everything up to date.

- Pamplin City, VA, USA

Nov 042010

Focus

Having problem with alternator and keys stuck in the ignition for 2nd time in two years. Key will not release but will turn.

- Lancaster, SC, USA

Sep 282010

Focus

Driving at 50km/H, ABS and brake lights come on, shortly after all electrical systems shut down, including power steering, front lights, gauges...everything. Engines continues to run, when the vehicle slow to almost idle, engines stops. Unable to restart, no ignition no sign of life whatsoever. Waited 20min, was able to start engine, electrical came back and drove for 5min before same thing happened. Dealer identified a faulty alternator, car has 135000km.

- Ottawa, 00, USA

Sep 162010

Focus

Ford Focus 2005 wagon. Noticed that electric lock will not open hatch back, but took no action to correct. Incident: Could not move shift lever out of park leaving motorist stranded. Found that shared brake light fuse was blown. Replaced fuse, but wondered about root cause so tested brake lights. Immediately noticed that brake lights remained on when brake pedal was not pressed or pressed. Realized that this is a major safety concern, as other drivers will not be aware when the brake is pressed. After web search, I observed many documented cases of damaged wiring harness; I opened the hatch and removed the rubber boot covering the wiring harness. Immediately observed that several wires were severed and others damaged.

- Canton, MI, USA

Aug 062010

Focus

Intermittently car will seem to short out for split seconds. If I let it idle all is ok but as I apply the gas the split second short comes back. This can happen at various speeds and sometimes if I go over some bumps all becomes ok. Friend with a madza3 had similar problem hat was fixed by changing the solenoid.

- Ville St Laurent Quebec Canada, 00, USA

Jun 182010

Focus

I'm having problems with the car hesitating while driving. This has repeatedly happened. I have a little over 90,300 miles on the car. It really scares me when I'm going at least 60 mph on the highway and press the gas to accelerate and then get the hesitation or pullback as if it is going to cut off. I'm afraid it is going to cut off while I am driving it. It also happens when I'm driving 35 mph. When this happens and I cut the car and start it back up, the clock resets to 12:00 and the radio comes on blasting. My lights flicker when it happens at night. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the fuel pump module. This has not helped one bit and I am out $462. They have quoted me a price of $1500 if the fuel pump module replacement did not work. They tell me it will probably be the PCM that needs replacing.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jun 202010

Focus 4-cyl

Hatch wiring harness fatigued and developed broken wires in the bend area of the wiring harness causing a short circuit. This resulted in loss of stop lamp function & harness burning.

- Garrison, NY, USA

Jun 192010

Focus

Excessive heat from taillight/brakelight bulb caused plastic housing to distort and brake lights fuse to burn out, causing loss of rear brake lights. Potential for rear end collision & wiring fire. After fuse was replaced, wiring smoldered until new fuse also burned out.

- Garrison, NY, USA

Feb 152009

Focus 4-cyl

The hatch back lid started opening when the rear window defrost was turned on. This has resulted in many inadvertent opening of the lid while driving. While researching, I found a recall for the 2000 Ford Focus assigned NHTSA 00V411000. I pulled back the rubber boot which protects the same wire harness at the hinge point of the lid. I discovered multiple cracked and exposed wires, and on wire broken it two. I desire for this to be a recall item just as you did for the 2000 model. I have pictures if you desire.

- Lavista, NE, USA

Mar 122010

Focus

Could not get key to release from the ignition of my 2005 Ford Focus. Had to leave car unlocked, with key in ignition overnight. Still cannot release key. A child could get into the car and start it up with tragic consequences. Many reports on the internet about Ford Focus ignition cylinder problems, including key-lock issues. I am a single mother who works in retail management, and I get out late at night from work quite often. If my key locks up, I could be stranded in a darkened lot and vulnerable to crime. Ford is aware of this problem, had been for years, and has not taken accountability for it. This is absolutely inexcusable for a major corporation..

- Grover, NC, USA

Feb 252010

Focus

Ford Focus 2005- the key will not come out of the ignition, after putting the car in park, and turning the ignition off. I took it to Ford, and they charged me $300 for replace the ignition cylinder. They said they were 90% sure it would fix the problem. Well, it didn't. it is still happening. They now say maybe it's some cable, but it will cost $450 to fix it. They also refuse to apply the $300 for the last unnecessary fix to this fix. I see on the internet that thousands of Focus owners have this problem. Ford refuses to acknowledge that this is a problem.

- Milford, DE, USA

Feb 202010

Focus

The key cannot be removed from ignition.

- Kent, WA, USA

Dec 282009

Focus

My key is stuck in the ignition and will not release from it. I have to leave the key in ignition and lock the vehicle with the alarm.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 032009

Focus

Ignition switch will not turn. If car was stalled in traffic or on railway crossing serious safety issues could arise.

- Culloden, WV, USA

Feb 022009

Focus

My car fails to start until I crank it 3 or 4 times. Sometimes it begins to start then sputters and dies. It has been an everyday thing for about 3 months now. It happens about every time I go to start my car with a few times it starting right away.

- Whiteland, IN, USA

Feb 292008

Focus

My key gets stuck in the ignition intermittently. Nothing I do releases it. Sometimes I have to leave it in my car for days before I come out one of the mornings and it just decides to let me have my key back. On and off ever since I have gotten the car.

- Whiteland, IN, USA