2014 Honda Accord electrical problems: starter not working properly

Starter Not Working Properly

2014 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013-2014 Honda Accord is showing signs of an electrical problem with the starter failing soon after the 36K mile warranty expires. It's compounded by reports that the OEM battery doesn't have sufficient amps to start the V6 reliably after a year or two.

For now we are rating this problem with the "Beware" seal because it's occurring so soon after the 36K mile warranty expires. The upshot is when your Accord won't start, that's never good, but especially bad when it's just a few years old.

Also once again, owners are complaining that the 2014 Honda Accord seats are uncomfortable. Uncomfortable seats has been a significant complaint with the Accord since the 2008 model year.

7.9

$730

1. replace starter (26 reports)
2014 Honda Accord electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda Accord:

2014 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 182019

Accord EX-L V6

Starter just went out this weekend. Just got a loud grind when I pushed the start button (kind of similar to the sound you get when you try to start it when it's already running). Of coarse it left me stranded at 9:00PM on a Saturday night, because why would these things happen at 8:00AM on Tuesday morning, right??? Anyway, I am beyond frustrated, as the car only has 47,000 miles on it and already has a failed starter, had to replace the battery already as well. What's next?! I had a 2005 Accord for 12 years and 170k miles on it with no problems, which is the only reason I "upgraded" to this dud. I regret getting rid of my old one. Never again. I am DONE with Honda.

- Cali M., Atlanta, US

Aug 152018

Accord EX V4

My Honda Accord 2014 does not start intermittently. Started November 2018, it did not start 1st time. After many times of trial, since I was home alone, I called my insurance come to jump start the car and drove to O'Reilly's. They sold me a most expensive battery. I thought I had no other choice . Now I know it should not be the battery problem, with such low mileage. Anyway, it worked fine at that time. That time my car only has 35,000 miles. But after one or two months or so, the problem started again. Now I know it is the battery problem. Also it is persistent. Although it happens intermittently, I have been so nervous to drive the car out, since I never know when it is going to happen. it happens does no matter hot or cold, wet or dry, it can happen any time. I usually have to step on the gas pedal several times then it can starts. Yesterday, after ten times trials, it did not start. I wanted to give up and call insurance. But in the 11th time, it started! My car only has 39,000 miles. The battery is under warranty ( for 3 years). Cannot be battery problem. What should I do?

- Lili H., San Jose, US

Mar 012019

Accord LX 2.8L

really not good honda brand (accord sport ), No other brand car has problem like that.

- Dn N., Fremont, CA, US

Jan 022019

Accord 2.4L

Starter replacement, I got quoted by dealer $930.00 to replace and I can't afford it. I'm checking out bus schedules until I can get my tax return to afford repairs. I bought this car based on its great reputation. I am shocked this would happen with only 38.5 thousand miles on it. Give me a wave if you see me at the bus stop :(

- Mitzi R., Vancouver, WA, US

Oct 082018

Accord 2.4L

I bought this car brand- new in 2014 I had just made it to 30000 miles and I started having trouble with the starter. I had to replace that then the alternator and finally the battery. I got a Honda because I thought they were dependable.

- Christina M., Norfolk, US

Nov 292018

Accord EX 2.4L 4 cyl

Would have never expected to be replacing my starter on my 2014 Honda accord with 61,000 miles on it.

Honda is better than this.

- Darrick M., Maple Heights, OH, US

Jan 012019

Accord Sport 2.4L

At 78k car started having problems getting anything when turning the key...then wait and it would start...getting it to happen more..I'm guessing its the starter....But MY CEL is also on for a P2422 Code for the Shut valve gear. I already had that fixed and keep getting the cel back...will update when I find out more.

- T S., Omaha, NE, US

Dec 062016

Accord LX 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

The 2014 Accord LX started having issues with starting. Several times jump starting seemed to work but yet battery check was fine. Many times waited for 10 minutes and it started. Finally figured out the issue. If you do not have your foot on the brake the car is designed not to start - a safety thing of course. If your foot was firmly planted on the brake it would not start. But if you just barely and very lightly touched the brake it would work. That saved a service call as I was stranded out of town on one occasion. Used this "just right" touch of the brake for a while but it was starting to annoy me. Told my dealer about it - since he could not get the car moving in front of his service desk, and he got it running only after I told him the trick to get it to start. Their annoying solution was to replace the starter for a SMALL sum of $625. I suggested just a brake sensor switch or a sensor on the starter - but he said it was an all in one deal with starter. So after a $625 charge on my card no more problem. Not sure if the starter or switch was replaced but it is working fine now.

- Bob M., Grand Haven, US

Oct 252018

Accord

I have purchased the 2014 Honda Accord and it has run very well in last three and half of years. It could not be started a couple months back. The battery had been replaced. Later this month, it happened again. The car was brought to dealer and mechanic spent two days and did not find any problem. But the car could not be started three times in this week--twice today. This must be a manufacturing issue as there were so many complaints on this. I will bring this into dealer to check again. Will update if there is any news.

- Leo C., Dublin, CA, US

Aug 202018

Accord EX V4

I have a 2014 Honda Accord with 63,000 miles on it. My starter began acting up on me a few weeks ago. I have to push and hold it like 7-8 times before the car will start, sometimes it takes me 20-30 minutes to leave the parking lot from work or a grocery store! I took it to Lucas Honda of Jacksonville and they quoted me close to $700 to get it fixed. (I am going to call around to find the best price.) They acted like they were not aware of the thousands of people, nationwide that are going through the same thing. They need to issue the recall already! What are they waiting for? My nephew in Tampa has the same car and they replaced their starter two months ago, thank God it was under warranty! Honda is ruining their reputation. I will make sure to warn everyone NOT to buy a Honda.

- lovelymichie, Jacksonville, FL, US

Jan 152018

Accord EX 3.5lV6

Starter makes a loud screeching noise when you push the start button. Starts but sometimes you have to push the start button 2 or 3 times. I know eventually I will have to spend at least $700.00 to get it replaced. Honda's used to be good cars. Honda Accord 2014 E.X.L. is a piece of junk. Going to trade it for another Toyota and soon as I can. Problem started around 40,000 miles.

- Everett J., Bryan, TX, US

Sep 182018

• CVT transmission

I purchased a Honda Accord 2014 as used and have just 42K miles on it now. It started giving starting troubles since past 2 weeks.

Last week it didn't start at all. Took the car to dealership & I was told that starter has gone bad.

Cost $800 to replace it. After reading many forums, came to know many faced same issues. It's high time Honda considers this issue & makes a RECALL.

I didn't expect such poor quality parts/negligible customer service from Honda. This would be my first & last HONDA.

- obuliraj, Irving, US

Aug 202018

Accord Sport 4cyc

2014 Accord Sport 45,000 miles only, bad starter, $650/starter replacement. Known issue, Dealer/mechanic even states they've repaired 12-15 Accords of the same defect on this known defect. Shame on Honda, do right and issue a recall/replacement to owner's repair cost.

- W. H., Riverside, CA, US

Jul 012018

Accord EX 2.4L

This car is nearly 4 years old. Brought brand new from dealer .All services done by dealer and on schedule.

The starter started having trouble just 5 months out of warranty.

I called the honda customer service and they eventually agreed that if I get it fixed at the dealership they will reimburse.

Got the vehicle fixed for over $700, called the honda server and they told me no-reimbursement as it is out of warranty! ...what...I got it fixed as I was told my the representative, otherwise I would got it fixed locally with half the cost!

Worst customer service. Starter should not fail on a 4 year old car. Honda needs to recall. This is already a class action lawsuit, and I hope Honda loses!

Never buying Honda again....this was my first and this will be last !

- Nagu V., North York, ON, Canada

Aug 172018

Accord Sport 2.4L

Honda Accord Sport 2.4L Manual Tranny, a couple months ago the car would randomly click when I attempted to start it. I would think "Hmmmm, that's weird" ...I would push the clutch in again and shift to neutral and it would start. That started happening a lot more frequently. Today finally my car finally wouldn't start. I tried about 25 to 30 times. Click, click, click.... Battery and Alternator are fine. The issue is with these stupid STARTERS Honda installed on the car.

This issue is dangerous. What if I stalled my car on a hill, or in major traffic? I would be in a bad spot, could be hit by a car or cause other major issues. I decided to stop driving my car until I fixed it. It was to dangerous...

Called the "stealership" they wanted $850 to fix the car. The part was $630 + labor. I told them to pound sand! I bought one off eBay for $150. Car works fine now. Please tell me which 4 year old car has issues with a starter? None...Honda needs to RECALL this issue. So many people are having issues with these.

I also wonder why some dealerships sell the starter for $200 and some for $630....weird!

- Jason O., Sandy, UT, US

Aug 042018

Accord EX-L 2.5L 4 cyl

I bought this car certified pre-owned more than two years ago. The problem was there from the beginning. The engine would take more than one press to start. I did not think much about it back then until it became a major pain about two months ago. The last few weeks were especially awful. I had to press the engine start button a few times to get the car to finally start. I would hear a clicking sound when I pressed the start button.

Starter was not covered under standard or pre-owned warranties. The replacement was a re-manufactured starter as it had better warranty coverage (3 yr/36,000 miles) than a new starter (1 yr/12,000 miles), both from Honda. I wish I had bought Honda care online as it covers starter replacement. Starter issue seems like a common problem for 2014 Accords.

If your 2014 Accord has less than 36,000 miles, I would highly suggest you to get Honda Care. Getting Honda Care online is cheaper

- asif105878, Royal Oak, US

May 072018

Accord LX 2.4L

I bought Honda Accord brand new June 2014 it had 23,500 miles on it. Starter went bad. Turn on the ignition key, battery is good (test it at Autozone) The engine won't turn over or click. I use to own 1990 Honda Accord it was super great car until an accident and was a total loss.

I recently bought brand new Honda Pilot EXL 2017 last year. (hopefully this Pilot parts made to last) I always thought Honda was built to last, but this new one (Accord) really got me good. I am going to buy another brand new vehicle in next summer. Honda just lost me as customer.

- Trung P., Kentwood, US

May 022018

Accord LX 2.4L V4

This has been an intermittent problem for about the last 30,000 miles. When I turn on the key, lights come on but nothing happens with the starter part. There is no sound, no clicking as it would with a low battery. Sometimes it seems like there is a faint "humming noise." It can go several times without an issue, then the first to three tries nothing happens. The issue has gotten progressively worse. Today, with wife, child, and dog in the car, I could not get it to start for 30 minutes after continual trying (40-50 tries). After calling AAA, about 15 minutes later it turned over. Each time I have asked mechanics and dealer, they say they do not know of any issues and that the problem has to be happening when I bring it in. One dealer said they did not have equipment to even check it out. This is not what one would expect from a Honda.

- Greg H., Dexter, ME, US

Apr 082018

Accord V6

The starter went out shortly after the warranty expired. Poor timing.

- reliablehuh, Lakewood, US

Feb 102018

• CVT transmission

This is my first experience purchasing a Honda. We purchased two for our daughters after graduating from college. Then we purchased two more. So we have four 2014 Honda Accords (3) LX & (1) Sport. My 2014 started having issue back in Sept. of last year. The problem would occur occasionally then it got progressively worse to it finally put me down in my work parking lot. I would get in the car turn the ignition and it would click I would turn off and back on and it would click or start, this could go on and on up to 15 times. before it started.

- fdbbbjrfw, Greenville, US