CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 Honda CR-V has a trend of engine hesitation when accelerating.

Honda has tried to fix this delayed acceleration with a software update, but many owners report it didn't fix the problem.

This defect trend is not quite bad enough yet for us to slap on the "Beware of the Clunker" seal. But it's a concern & definitely something to keep in mind for a test drive.

2014 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda CR-V:

2014 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Aug 012019

CR-V

After my car has sat for 5-6 hours or longer, at start up my engine grinds for 1-2 seconds. Reading similar problems online they say it is a faulty vtc actuator that Honda knows about but refuses to fix or recall. Is there plans to recall this faulty part before my car fails and breaks down on the side of the road? this noise has happened every day for the last year or so.

- Longview, WA, USA

Aug 012019

- Longview, WA, USA

Jul 042020

CR-V

My vehicle is experiencing the known issue of vtc rattle at startup.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Apr 292020

CR-V

Vehicle began making a rattling noise upon cold starts. Took to the dealer and was told the car needed a vtc actuator for a cost in excess of $1,000. A quick google search described wide spread issues with this part and that it is a recurring issue and could damage timing chain for costs in excess of $5K. Honda serv bulletin 16-012 describes issues but Honda does not cover under engine warranty. Very costly defect for a make of car that has had a good reputation.

- Dunlap, IL, USA

Nov 202016

CR-V

At cold start up, the engine rattles loudly for about 2 seconds. Possible fix, variable valve timing control, vtc, actuator replacement. Started at 36,000 miles. Known issue for years by Honda. Should be recalled as it has been known by them and is expensive to replace. Have tried working with them, and they are not willing to cover any cost.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Mar 062020

CR-V

On cold start-ups there is a loud rattle coming from the engine. My CR-V only has 54,000 miles on it and this is ridiculous. I am told it could be the vtc actuator and can only hope that my extended warranty will cover it. Not the quality I expect from Honda at all. Researching this can lead to oil consumption and a stretched timing chain and premature engine failure.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Feb 192020

CR-V

My 204 Honda CRV has a continuing problem with the vtc actuator. I've had 2 defective ones, which damaged my timing chain. Dealer says they are not liable for the damage done for the defective part, and I have to pay $1600 for a new timing chain at 70K miles. Honda issued a technician bulletin stating the vtc is defective, but offered no fixes to the problem other than throwing another defective product in the vehicle. When starting the vehicle, the vtc actuator makes a loud grinding noise, which is the sound of the timing chain being stretched. My timing chain is now ruined and needs a new one. This has been happening since I've owned the car. The noise now occurs almost every morning.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Jan 092020

CR-V

2014 CRV had 'rattle' noise during cold start about a year ago, took it to the Honda dealer and they said there was nothing wrong. Now at 59974 miles and 3 months passed 5 year warranty, the dash warning lights going off and timing chain has to be replaced. Had to spent $2000 to fix it.

- Wexford, PA, USA

Dec 212019

CR-V

Known & very documented issue with cold start vtc actuator. Engine noise at every cold start. If all these similar complaints are reviewed.... why hasn't this lead to an investigation / recall ?

- Aberdeen, NJ, USA

Dec 312019

CR-V

My vehicle is suffering from an extremely common problem within the 4th generation CRV - the vtc actuator is making a grinding noise during cold startups. There is a active bulletin regarding the issue, tsb 16-012 ver. 2. the issue is further compounded by the fact that it does not happen literally every single time I turn the car on. It only happens sometimes. The dealership told me to leave it with them overnight. Then in the morning they will test it and try to duplicate the problem. If they can't duplicate it, then they won't fix it. This is frustrating.

- Iselin, NJ, USA

Dec 282019

CR-V

My car "check engine" light came on and went to the dealership for service. I was told the car need an updated pgmfi. I was told a lot of CRV's are incurring the same error indicators. But because my car is out of warranty I ended up paying for the pgmfi update. I do not agree, but paid the bill. This should be a recall.

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Dec 202019

CR-V

After recently purchasing a used 2014 Honda CR-V, noticed a 2 second rattle at cold start-up. Doing research, this issue mirrors a vtc actuator problem known by american Honda (tsb 16-012).

- Tehachapi, CA, USA

Dec 182019

CR-V

While parking on the second level of a parking garage, the car suddenly lunged forward and jumped the stop and crashed into the wall of the garage. My foot was on the break but when I lifted it off, the engine revved up without my foot on the gas. This has done this before and I have reported it to Honda but they did nothing to correct it.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Dec 122019

CR-V

My 2014 Honda CRV just crossed 87,000 miles, started with engine rattling noise during cold start, and now got the check engine, steering and traction lights turned on on the dashboard. I took it mechanic and after performing diagnosis they told me that the vtc actuator and timing chain needs replacements. I came to know that it was due to manufacturing defect on the faulty vtc actuator as mentioned in technical service bulletin 16-012. This vtc actuator problem contribute to high oil consumption as mentioned in this link: Https://www.julieannacline.com/engine- rattles-on-cold-startup-tsb-09-010/ in the recent oil service I was informed that was low engine oil.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Dec 112019

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Honda CR-V. while the vehicle was in the park position, the gear was placed into drive and the vehicle began to rev up approximately four times. The contact placed the vehicle back into the park position and turned off the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to antrim way Honda (located at 200 S antrim way, greencastle, pa 17225, 877-870-8241), but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,948.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Nov 182019

CR-V

Vehicle made grinding noise upon start-up over several months. Honda claimed it is not damaging the engine and there is no fix. Engine continued to grind and my car began having oil problems. Honda still said there was no issue and they were not related. Car continued grinding until this week when all lights on the dashboard lit up. I took my Honda and was told the timing chain is stretched and it needs another vtc actuator replacement (this was fixed under warranty three years ago). The car could have stalled while driving. This is a known issue that Honda is refusing to acknowledge or recall in Honda CR-V's. they charged me $1800 to fix an issue known to them. This could have resulted in bodily injury to myself or others if the car had stalled while driving. Honda should take responsibility for their faulty engines. There are multiple complaints on this same issue.

- Roseville, MN, USA

Aug 142018

CR-V

Bought the car from Honda dealership in August of 2018. Second I drove it off the lot vehicle started to have a vibration from the front end of the car. I brought it back 4 days later because of the vibration and burning smell when I pressed on the brakes. I had to get a new axel replaced on the car. After I had to return car again a week later for the exact same vibrations. Yet since then the car still shakes, after bringing it to numerous mechanics the car still shakes. I just brought it back again to the dealership to see again why exactly it is still shaking. I had to get a new differentia for the rear of the vehicle, and that didn't work. I returned it again a week later for fluid and transmission fluid to see if that will work and still persists to shake.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Oct 102019

CR-V

Rattle from engine every startup. Louder and longer when cold. Timing chain? this problem has been ongoing since cpo purchase. It's getting louder and IżM afraid it will destroy my engine, before Honda admits to a defective part and does a recall.

- Sykesville, MD, USA

Sep 282019

CR-V

Oil usage is extremely high with no visible leaks, and engine is dry. I am at the point of my oil needing to be changed, and my oil was nearly empty. I have put in 3 qt's in the last 3 weeks. Also, I live in nys, and on cooler days to freezing days, there is a loud grinding rattle that happens when I start my car. I had a 2010 that did the same thing.

- Mechanicville, NY, USA

Sep 222019

CR-V

When I start my 2014 Honda CRV in the morning in idle and until I hit over 15 mph it makes a rattle noise, but more of a knocking under the valve cover area. We have done the oil changes every time the on-board oil life reminder tells me. During the winter, I take it to Honda during the summer my husband and I choose to change it. The noise has become considerably worse so we went online to review. All associations with the problem point to the vtc actuator and timing change. After calling to make an appt at the dealer and explain my problem I hear the cost to fix it referring to the service bulletin 16-102. It was well over $2000. The issue before I pay that to fix it is that all of the people I read in the online community state it is a temporary fix and the problem comes right back. Some have had the vtc changed four times. That would cost me $8000, a beautiful chunk of change to put down on a new car. Not a Honda. Just like the airbag issue with my 2004 Honda CRV, they had to replace the replacement until they got it right. I urge you to please notify Honda of all our complaints (I uploaded a community forum) I can not afford to keep chasing down this defective part. My 2007 Honda Prelude has over 300K and is a daily driver with a niece. My 2014 and 2016 Honda CRV are happy every driver. Snow beats if you May. I wanted a newer car with newer features, but what I got was an expensive defective Honda. I paid $15000 two years ago, and it is now just under 100,000 miles. There used to be a saying, you could drive a Honda to the point of the body falling off, but the engine would keep going. Not only is my vtc a sore spot to fix. It is now using oil between oil changes due to a defective vtc. So I will change it once and if it continues. I will be back with another urge for justice.

- Pasco, WA, USA