2014 Honda CR-V engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

2014 Honda CR-V

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 Honda CR-V has a trend of engine hesitation when accelerating.

Honda has tried to fix this delayed acceleration with a software update, but many owners report it didn't fix the problem.

This defect trend is not quite bad enough yet for us to slap on the "Beware of the Clunker" seal. But it's a concern & definitely something to keep in mind for a test drive.

8.7

2014 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda CR-V:

2014 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Jun 122019

CR-V LX 4 cyl

I had two quarts of oil, I often watch and see the quantity go down. (j'ai mie deux paintes d'huile, je regarde souvant et voie la quantité descendre.)

- antoinel, Ste-Adèle, QC, Canada

Jun 012018

CR-V EX 2.4L

This engine has had a problem since 2008 that I can tell. Our CRV is burning 6 quarts of oil between oil changes. Had consumption test performed and they are willing to pay 75% of cost to fix it. They acknowledged there's a problem but do not want to pay the whole repair.

There is a class action lawsuit out there that has been decided and American Honda knew they were selling these cars that had problems. Mine is a 2014 year model and they said mine doesn't fall in the range of vin #s with this known issue. However it shows the same symptoms that other 2014 CRVs have that are covered 100%.

Customer service says they are surprised they are willing to cover 75% and that it's rare to see that. Whatever.

Bottom line:

I am on a mission to tell everyone how Honda is treating their loyal customers. I'm never ever ever buying another Honda product weather its a lawn mower or a car.

They should be held responsible for selling known bad quality product and expecting consumers to pay for repairs.

- Rj H., Merica, US

Feb 192018

CR-V LX 2.4L

I bought my car in February 2018, I heard a rattle in the engine shortly after buying it on cold start up related to oil consumption problem. The rattle does not only happen when the oil is low. Multiple times I reported low oil, Ontario Honda dealership kept saying they see no leak, I insisted. To fix the rattle they replaced the VTC actuator; the rattle was still there. Later in November 2018 they finally found a small leak during an in depth oil change; they said the HondaBond on the timing chain was bad, they resealed it. Still I have trouble with the constant low oil and rattle noise, it seems that because the dealership can't see oil on the ground they won't investigate. This has been a problem since I bought it, I insisted they not charge me. They JUST decided to start the oil consumption test, check and register how much I have to put in at least every 1k miles. It starts today, my car is now at 70684k miles. After all this time someone is finally going to start doing something about it; after they thought they fixed it twice already. I'm worried my engine will blow, it doesn't overheat. The rattling definitely gets worse when the oil gets below the dipstick, however, the rattle is STILL there even when the oil is FULL. I'll try to update how the oil consumption test goes.

- jwagar3, Fairport, US

Aug 012018

CR-V EXL 2.4L 4 cyl

In August 2018 I brought vehicle to privately owned shop that I trust to research a noise coming from the engine bay when starting the vehicle. Mechanic found through inspection/research that Timing Chain likely needed to be replaced ($1000 job) on 2014 CR-V’s. At that time my vehicle was less than 5 years old with less than 60,000 miles, so it was within the power train warranty period (5yrs/60kmi).

The mechanic also found that the engine was leaking quite a bit of oil for such a new car and he said it had a consumption issue. I called Honda in August 2018, and started a case regarding oil consumption and noise related to timing chain. They told me to bring vehicle to Honda dealership to begin oil consumption test and to have noise looked at.

I immediately brought the vehicle to Lia Honda who told me to wait until oil needed to be changed to start consumption test b/c the oil was recently changed and it would be a waste of new oil. I brought the car into Keeler Honda in November of 2018 to complete the oil consumption test when the oil needed to be changed and to have the noise checked out. They changed the oil and couldn’t figure out the noise, stating the car was fine.

As I drove the car over the next few months the noise got worse. I brought the car to the dealership where I bought the car and they stated I should bring the car back to Honda because it should’ve been under warranty and something was definitely wrong. I called Honda manufacturer and referenced my case from Aug of 2018- they agreed to document that my car was covered b/c these issues stem from when it was under warranty (now has 62kmi). Keeler Honda found a service bulletin to replace VTC actuator related to noise. This was replaced and covered by Honda. The car still has oil consumption issue! 2015 CR-V’s were recalled due to oil consumption to replace the engine, but not 2014’s? Same issue!!!!!

- James P., Schenectady, NY, US

Sep 052017

CR-V

Every time I check the oil after being changed for a while it is low. At 40 K the problem seems to be increasing. This last time when the time to change oil warning happened, It was making a rattling noise like a shield was loose. Checked the oil level and it was not registering! (Put three quarts in). Checked it a week later, down a half quart. Any advice on whose chain to rattle would be helpful. Anybody else having this issue?

- Darin E., Bucyrus, OH, US

Jan 022018

CR-V LX

Bought this CRV used about 6 months ago with 45000 miles on it. After the first oil change, the red oil light came on briefly after about 3500 miles. Checked the oil and it was low. Took it my mechanic--it was down 3 quarts after 3500 miles or so. He told me to take it to the dealership, so we have started that dance with measuring the oil consumption after paying them for an oil change.

Incredibly disappointed that I am already having a major issue on what is supposed to be my "new" car. If anyone else is having oil consumption issues with this model, please take the time to post! They had this issue with earlier models but fixed it, so the dealership is telling me that this is an aberration. I doubt it. It's still under warranty for the drive train, but they are already acting like it might not fall under that.

- djmorrison, Sturbridge, US

Jan 302016

CR-V ES 2.4L

All 5 oil changes have been done at the dealer. Towards the end of the 3rd oil change, engine made a loud scraping noise when started in morning for a fraction of a second. Told dealer when brought in for oil change. They could not reproduce noise. Same thing at 4th oil change. They said 5 qts did not come out, and started oil consumption test. Thats when i equated noise to low oil level. Engine also sounds louder when running. Dealer said 1 qt per 1800 miles ok...no fix...pursuing recourse. Any Help Here?

- David S., Fountain Valley, CA, US

Feb 012016

CR-V LX 4 cyl

I had a 2000 Accord V-6 with 242,000 miles and it didn't burn a drop of oil! I had a 1995 Olds Cierra V-6 with 150,000 and never burned oil. The service writer says burning oil is normal. IN MY FURNACE, NOT MY CAR!!

- signet silver, Palatine Bridge, NY, US

Jul 262015

CR-V EXL 2.3L

2014 CRV with 11630 miles. First oil change 1 500mi 2 1100mi 3 3000mi 4 6000mi 5 9000mi went to Mobile 1 for this oil change. Checked oil this morning 2 qts low not on the dipstick. All the previous oil changes it never used a drop. So in 2630mi it used 2 qts?? Not good.. First new car ever. Thought I made a good choice. NOT HAPPY, NOT HAPPY Wonder what Honda is going to do about this? Heard they might put new piston's in it?? REALLY?? I think not. This is a new car & I don't want a rebuilt engine. I want a new engine or they can have it back or a 2015crv.... Actually I really don't want it any more. UNSAFE

- psouth, Dayton, OH, US