6.3

2019 Honda Pilot transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Honda Pilot:

2019 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Nov 302018

Pilot Touring 3.5L V6

Consumer Reports stated that this was a problem with the 2019 V6 Touring vehicles that they tested. However, I didn't notice it when I test drove the vehicle and thought that it was resolved. IT WAS NOT! The jerking that you get when the vehicle switches gears is annoying and difficult to get used to. If you are the type that gets car sick or boat sick, this is going to be a problem for you. At slower speeds it is more noticeable. So, if you are traveling, say under 30MPH, you will definitely feel like you are rocking in a boat. As of Sept 2019, there is no remedy for this problem. You just have to take you motion sickness pills with you on any trip.

- CJ J., Winter Park, FL, US

Aug 262019

Pilot Elite 3.5L V6

This is our first Honda purchase. I knew the previous models had transmission problems, but Honda claimed they were fixed in the 2019. Apparently not! We are having the same issue previously reported. The transmission shifts hard, usually between 25-35 mph. The problem is not constant but does happen every time the car is driven. I have scheduled the car for maintenance with the dealer but I don't have high hopes of this being an easy fix. I will report back if the problem is resolved.

- Hunter B., Brentwood, TN, US

Aug 012019

Pilot Touring

Just like the other two complaints the transmission (9 speed) jerks at times. It was working smoothly for the first 4000 miles but after that it started to do this. It usually happens around 28 mi/hr of speed (today it also happened around 35mi/hr as well) and the jerking is much worse if you are going on a downhill or uphill road or if it is in the eco mode. I noticed that it happens after I drive the car for about 20 minutes. I don't think this is just unique to my car as the complaints on this site are like cockroaches, for everyone you see there are probably 100 more that people don't report. I have not taken it to the dealer yet because I am not sure if they would acknowledge the problem or even have a fix for it yet. I have been a loyal Honda customer for the past 25 years because of their reliability. This is my 4th Honda and would probably be the last if they don't find a fix for this issue.

- pilot101, Sierra Madre, US

Jul 312019

Pilot EX-L

Bought 2019 Honda Pilot AWD EX-L from dealer July 30, 2019. Noticed inconsistent shifting behavior...shift doesn’t always happen at the same time (at the right time?) and isn’t smooth. Seems worse when A/C running, but because the behavior is sporadic, not sure if this is the case? At 40mph or less, when I take my foot off the gas to slow down, but don’t immediately brake, the car will sometimes jerk (not a violent jerk, but a significant "gentle" jerk that is noticeable compared to a normal shifting motion.) I've consistently noticed the above issues since bringing the car home. This "jerking", some instances more significant than others, usually happens in the 20-30 mph range. Sometimes it will occur in the 20 and 40 mph range as well. It’s inconsistent, but it is an obvious, ongoing observation.

- Razinkids A., Saint Louis, MO, US

Jul 012019

Pilot Elite

Have not yet taken it in to dealership yet, but very soon. The jerking is consistent with previous person's complaint...it jerks doing around 30ish and if you slow just a little it is a significant jerk. Then again it will do it in the 40ish range...but not all of the time. I am going to have my spouse record tachometer while I am driving to hopefully have something to show them if they can't seem to get it to do the same thing.

- Brenda F., Corpus Christi, US

Apr 012019

Pilot Touring 3.5L V6

I purchased my 2019 Honda Pilot Touring 2WD on Aug. 30. Since then, I've had several issues: 1.) Had to have the infotainment system replaced because it froze up on me 2.) I've had it leak oil twice after two oil changes from TWO different Honda dealerships 3.) Most lately, I've noticed some jerking - some more significant than others - during acceleration in the 30 mph range. (Sometimes, it will occur in the 20 and 40 mph range, but mostly in the 30 mph range.)

I've taken it to two dealerships. 1.) Honda of Denton couldn't replicate the problem, supposedly ran a diagnostic test and then didn't take me seriously. 2.) Lute Riley Honda (where I purchased the vehicle) has seen my vehicle twice now, and while it appears they believe that there's a problem, they haven't been able to replicate it very much and admitted that there's not a fix to it ... yet. (They've stated that Honda is working on it.)

The jerking isn't consistent. That's the problem. It happens daily, but not every time.

The car runs, but in addition to the jerking, it has slowed down and in one instance, I thought it was going to stall on me during the slightest of acceleration.

I feel like I'm forced to live with this problem until something major happens and it's really unfair.

We had a string of Hyundai vehicles before switching to Honda. The reason for the switch is because the Pilot is bigger than the current Santa Fe XL and I believed Honda to be a good, reliable car. After all of the problems I've had, I am very sorry I switched to Honda and will never buy another Honda ever again.

- Ellie D., Denton, TX, US