2020 Honda Pilot electrical problems: infotainment system crackling noise

Infotainment System Crackling Noise

2020 Honda Pilot

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

6.0

2020 Honda Pilot electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2020 Honda Pilot:

2020 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Feb 202020

Pilot Elite

I've always driven my Honda's to death with no major issues. It saddens me to have problems with a brand new vehicle. I bought a 2020 Pilot Elite in Nov. 2019 and by end of Feb. 2020 it was having electrical issues; the crackling noise. It was annoying but when the instrument panel and computer screen blacked out, while I was driving, that was it. I had to pull over and park. Left the vehicle off for about 15 minutes before everything would come back up. Took it to the dealer I purchased from and they found some amplifier wires loosely connected at the back of the vehicle. They said they tightened things up and sent me on my way.

All was well for 2 months. The crackling came back. This time I took it to my local dealer. They found crimped wiring throughout the vehicle and had to rewire it all. I'm hoping this is the final fix for this crackling issue. The vehicle should never have made it from the factory in this condition. Evidently Honda quality is slipping :(

- netlamb1, The Dalles, US

Jun 252020

Pilot Touring

Bought the 2020 Pilot Touring in November. In March we noticed the cracking noise; sounded like rocks hitting the windshield. Took it to local Honda dealer, where they supposedly did something with the wire harness. It was ok for a while but it came back a couple of weeks ago, off and on. It would go away after we shut off the car for a few minutes and turned it back on. The Honda dealer now says they have no idea how to fix it. We went on a road trip last week and in addition to the crackle we had a new symptom - the DVD player wouldn't work. We had another road trip yesterday and it crackled for 2.5 hours of it - turning off and on didn't work - and we got yet another new symptom: the radio and Sirius feeds were jacked up. I have a feeling we're about to be part of the ongoing class action suit involving prior model years.

- Mb C., Saint Johns, US

Sep 272019

Pilot Touring V6

We purchased a 2020 Honda Pilot AWD Touring and experienced the same infotainment issue that others have described in 2018 and 2019 models. Ten days off the lot, we heard crackling and popping across the dash and both the center dash screen and the screen behind the wheel went black with no access to nav, radio, bluetooth, backup camera, speedometer, etc. The system continually tried to reboot but would continue crashing. Took it in and they replaced audio tuner and gauge control module and then said it was working perfectly. Two hours after I picked it up, the same problem occurred. They kept it for 2 more weeks, saying they were in touch with Honda's engineers. They wound up replacing both the floor harness and dash harness. Time will tell whether it is actually fixed. Have had it back for a month with no issues.

- Amy J., Cary, US