ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2013 Hyundai Elantra engine problems: engine failure

Engine Failure

2013 Hyundai Elantra (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

8.9

$3,260

1. replace engine (9 reports)
  3. engine replacement (4 reports)
  4. repair engine (1 reports)
2013 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 042016

Elantra GLS

Driving in the mountains again at 20 mph and car died three times today while driving slow. It would make a loud vibration noise and die. Very frustrating. I tried to start it and it started right up.

- Deborah K., Nixa, US

Jul 072018

Elantra GT 1.8L

Bought a 2013 Elantra GT new from the dealership, the engine failed at 97500 kms in early July. Hyundai agreed to replace it under warranty however the new engine is not due to arrive until the middle of October. How can it take four months for a replacement to arrive? We have three Hyundai's at home and this will be the last one.

- Rob A., Mississauga, ON, Canada

Jul 142018

Elantra Sedan

The car was towed to Kerry Hyundai of Florence Ky on Monday 7/15, 2018. Here it is Friday 7/20/2018 and have not received loaner car. In addition, Hyundai said it will take 6-8 MONTHS to fix. This is unbelievable that the engine can not be replace for that amount of time. We are currently without a car until the dealer gets an ok from Hyundai. The 100,000 warranty does not mean a thing if they cannot fix it.

- Dan B., Lakeside Park, US

Apr 092018

Elantra Limited

My car is still not fixed and it has been 11 weeks. It is sitting at Fox Hyundai in Grand Rapids and waiting for the slow boat from Korea to come and bring an engine. Granted they are providing a rental for the duration but it is not the same. Will my car ever get fixed?

- Steven E., Grand Rapids, MI, US

Jan 062018

Elantra GLS 4 cyl

I bought my 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4-door sedan in December of 2013, brand new. At 109,000 miles, i suddenly noticed the engine clicking and drove it back home and called Hyundai. I had it towed to the closest Hyundai dealer to have it checked out.. I left my car and paid for a rental out of pocket only to be told after five days of calling and leaving messages that I would have to replace the engine. I was given an estimate of about $2600 parts and labor. I was also told that even though they did have loaners, they could not provide one because I didn't buy or service my vehicle at their dealership. This was on Monday, because when I called on Saturday (the day of the event) I was informed that the manager who could approve loaners was out of town and unavailable.

I took my car to another auto repair shop and was told that it would need another motor, because the wrist pin had broken off in the 4th cylinder. I was never told what wrong with it by the dealership.

I called Hyundai and was informed that they couldn't do anything for me because it was out of warranty. I wasn't even asking that they pay total repair costs but to help with the repairs as this should not have happened as I have driven many cars well past 225,000 miles and never experienced a catastrophic engine failure. They just don't care! Even though I had my eyes on upgrading to the Genesis in a year or so, I will never buy another Hyundai or Kia, nor would I ever recommend the vehicle. Unbelievable that they would let any customer walk, that to help repair their vehicle, take the associated tax write-off, and thus garner great public relations and goodwill.

- Themusic W., Lufkin, TX, US

Mar 302018

Elantra LE 1.8L Dohc 4 cyl

I am a cancer patient in recovery. I purchased a 2013 Hyundai Elantra on March 1st, 2017 to help me get back on my feet after a very long treatment process. The car had 69,445 miles on it. It now has 74,123 and I have to have the engine replaced. The warranty is no longer valid and Hyundai will not help with this issue. I have had 2 mechanics, including a hyundai dealership mechanic state that there were metal shavings in the motor left during the manufacturing process but Hyundai will not help cover the cost of fixing the car. I have reported them to the BBB as well as talked to a GA state senator and I'm still waiting on some kind of resolution. At this point I am posting wherever I can online, added a sign in my car window stating the issues with the car and Hyundai, as well as put signs up in my yard and in friends yards stating the situation with Hyundai. If anyone can offer any advice in how to get help from Hyundai, it would be appreciated. I've seen were a few people have had luck getting help with the repairs.

- Tracy E., Flowery Branch, US

Jan 252018

Elantra 1.8L

I purchased a 2013 Elantra (used). Started hearing a ticking noise and drove directly to my local mechanic, who informed me I could not drive the vehicle. I called my dealership and was informed I was 2 mos and 25 days past my bumper to bumper warranty. However, they wanted to see the car and diagnose it and contact corporate to see what could be done for me. I had the car towed to the dealership, was informed I needed a new motor and Hyundai corporate was willing to give me $1000 towards a replacement. I have written and called Hyundai numerous times looking for a little more help and have been told "you were the one who bought a used car" (this car had 16000 miles on it when I bought it) Hyundai knows they have a problem with these vehicles and refuses to help their customers fix the problem (BTW--I have been a Hyundai owner since 1988)

It has been very difficult to even find a replacement engine for this car. Finally, after 2 months my local mechanic found an engine and is installing it.

- Terrylynn D., Milford, US

Jan 192017

Elantra

Where do I even begin!? Hyundai is certainly on my last nerve. I've been battling them for almost a year now only to consistently receive the same response each time which is that I'm not covered under any warranty so they can't do anything.

Bought me vehicle used with 30,000 miles on the engine. Drove it until about 70,000 miles and the engine began knocking terribly. I've had every oil change on time from the purchase of the vehicle. It's been well maintained to say the least. Took in into a Hyundai dealer and they found metal shavings in the oil pan.

I drive a 2013 Hyundai Elantra which coincidentally the engine made for this vehicle also came from the factories that Hyundai recalled all the Sonata engines world wide from. Same problem except they don't see it. My car fits the description and nobody wants to take responsibility. I dropped $3500 to get a new-used replacement engine and the labor to put the engine in. I still until this day am fighting Hyundai. It's not right and it has financially buried me.

As a college student I looked for a dependable car and the fact that Hyundai believes this is ok is far beyond their customer service claims. I've battled my way to the top people throughout Hyundai and they all make the same claim. I hope more of this make, model, and year come to light because I'm ready to stick Hyundai with another lawsuit.

- Nicholas M., Washington, US

Jan 182018

Elantra SD 1.8L

Because we bought this car used at 60,000 miles, the original warranties (including the famous 100,000 power train warranty) are not honored. Very frustrating that a car that's barely 5 years old and has less than 100,000 miles on it (and received regular maintenance, at least since we assumed ownership) needs an engine replacement. I was under the impression that engine failures in this age car are extremely rare in modern cars....were we unlucky or is this a bad model? I have learned that other Hyundai models from the same vintage were recalled (see http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/hyundai-and-kia-recall-15-million-engines) but unfortunately the Elantra was not.

- Melissa H., Asheville, NC, US

Aug 082017

Elantra GT 1.8L

I bought this 2013 Elantra gt 1.8 brand new have full record of all oil changes and repairs. I took the vehicle to Hyundai IN Milton Ontario they diagnosed my engine for $120 dollars and told me it was lower end that the engine should be replaced. They sent all my receipts of repairs and oil changes to Hyundai Canada they came back and said to many kilometres but the car is only 4 years old and all highway miles. I travel 210 km a day to work.I phoned Hyundai Canada myself and talk to complaints department and they said they can not do anything because of kilometres. I ask them if they would replace the motor and i would pay the labour but they refused.Very disappointed as i had a 2007 accent brand new and but 320000 kilometres on it engine was still good until I traded it in for 2013 elantra.The actual engine started ticking at around 160000 km but i thought maybe sticking lifter not realizing that it was lower end problem. I am frustrated because my car is in mint shape and the dealer even said that in the letter to Hyundai Canada. The Dealer told they are having to replace a lot of these engines. Why is there not a recall on this problem. Car is still running but very loud metal to metal noise all i can do is keep driving until it blows up. Still owe 1 1/2 years of payment left that sucks. If any buddy can help me please reply. P.S. do not by 1.8 elantra engine big expense hyundai dealer $8000 to replace. Its sad they can not back their problem. At least Mazda has 5 year unlimited kilometres .

- Jim B., oshawa, Ontario, Canada

May 142017

Elantra

I am experiencing the same stuttering and stalling as others have described. I have kept track of time of day, temperature outside, short trip vs. long, AC on or off, full gas tank vs. not full. There seems to be no common parameters. The car will begin to shake, rpms drop to 0, and the car stalls. Restarting takes a few tries, pressing hard on the gas. Tomorrow will be my 4th trip to the dealer. Twice, the check engine light also appeared. First "fix" was a "software upgrade". Second, they were too busy to complete investigation since diagnostics showed nothing. Third, an oil valve was replaced.

- gchalon, Denton, US

Jun 092017

Elantra

I have a Hyundai Elantra 2013. Car has always been a bit shaky but other than that the car ran pretty smoothly. I bought the car with 0 miles and did proper maintenance.

One day out of the blue, with no indication, the engine stalled in the middle of the road. Tried to turn it on but the engine didn't budge. Took the car into a local mechanic and they told me it was an engine failure and I was looking at 3k-4k in damages, so I then transported it to the Hyundai dealer hoping it was covered under their 100,000 warranty since a lot of their vehicles had similar engine problems and recalls.

It's been two days now since I have left it at the dealer and no confirmed diagnostic except that I will be needing a brand new engine and that they need more time to run tests and process paperwork.

Will post updates and outcomes asap.

Update from Jun 28, 2017: I got news today that the Hyundai will be covering the engine under warranty. Estimated 7-15 days until I get my car back. It took about a week to get it approved under warranty but they put me in a loaner vehicle in the meantime.

I didn't get a specific diagnostic or details on what went wrong, just that the engine failed and it will be covered under warranty.

What happened to the car is terrible but they did a great job of making it right. I think it has a lot to do with the dealership you take it into as well; The dealership close to home has terrible customer service which has inclined me to take it to the dealership near work, even if it's a longer drive. The customer service and overall experience has been night and day. Read up on some reviews before deciding which dealership you'll take your car into, it can save you a lot of time and trouble.

- Stephanie P., Montebello, CA, US

Jul 042016

Elantra

Purchased my Hyundai Elantra new in 2013. Had no real problems with it, well maintained, mostly local mileage. Then in May of this year, 2016, the check engine light would come on and off. I thought I wasn't getting the gas cap on tight enough. The last of June it started with a sputtering, lagging action/sound. As if it were going to die on me but never would. It would eventually pick up speed. The problem might not happen again for several miles or not at all at that time but would happen again the next day. Anyway, I made an appt to take it in on July 12th. Mileage---approx. 61,500. My appt was at 8:15 that a.m. I had planned to have someone pick me up but the service tech told me I shouldn't be long and could wait. "shouldn't be long" turned into over 4 hrs. After the first hour, the tech came back to tell me that the engine was missing and that they'd have to put it on the computer and that would cost $39.95. Told them to go ahead. Finally, after several other customers came and went I caught the tech in the hallway and asked about my car. Was told it was going to have to have a new motor. NEW MOTOR...only 61,500, on time oil changes, am the only driver, etc. I have yet to get an answer from anyone as to what caused the motor to have to be replaced, what is wrong. Only that it will take 2 to 3 months to get it repaired. In the meantime I am having to drive a rental. I have written Hyundai asking what kind of issues and how frequent motors are failing. Can't get an answer out of them either. Apparently 2013 was a very bad year considering the number of complaints compared to other years.

Update from Jul 10, 2018: This is in response to KL. I could never get an answer as to why the engine failed. Not from the dealer and not from the manufacturer. The dealership caused more issues attempting to repair the engine. I had to have it towed back to them 3x. After the 3rd time and it still wasn't fixed, I had it towed to a dealership 90 miles away. They were able to repair the engine issue. Hyundai paid for the repairs as the mileage was only 61500 but it was the worst experience I've had with any car I've owned and that was due to the dealership and their constant screw-ups. So, in answer to your question regarding oil, no one said anything to me about any oil issues. Sorry I can't be more help.

- Cathy P., Thurmond, NC, USA

Jan 012017

Elantra GLS 1.8L

OK so I have a 2013 Elantra. Car has been running great, no problems...up until NOW...intermittent starts...happens at home so its good. Went out one day, nothing...all lights come on..door dings that the key is in...etc, etc. Nothing turned nothing...no catch.... Paid $80 for a diagnostic...guess what! lol NO CODES!!!! Paid $50 for the Inhibitor Switch...paid $50 for installation on 3/3/2017 3/6/2017...guess what lol took 5 times for it to catch...so its not that switch... NOW WHAT....???????????? ignition? any help please !!! I hate this car but its all i got....I have 76,000 miles on it now...

- Reida W., Ukiah, CA, US

Sep 162016

Elantra

Major engine failure for a car that is 3 years old with 75,000 miles. Their service department refused to give a detailed written estimate, and will only quote a price. Complaints to Hyundai USA have only gave us a $500 discount on a repair quote of over $3,000. NEVER BUY A HYUNDAI !!!

- badcar13, O Fallon, IL, USA

Jun 012015

Elantra ES V4

For the past three months car occasionally will not start. Lights come on, radio works, windows go up and down but the engine won't turn over. Was unable to jump start it with traditional cables and another car. Have taken it to the dealership 4 times now. The first time they didn't know what it was. The second time he tested the battery and said it was fine. The third time he said it WAS the battery and I paid for a new one. The next day the car wouldn't start again. It is now there for the fourth time and they have already called once and said they can't figure it out. I invested in an automatic car battery jumper which has saved me numerous times when I am by myself in a parking garage late at night. I too bought this car thinking it was dependable, under warranty and reliable and here I sit, never knowing when this stupid car isn't going to start.

- caroletx, Houston, TX, USA

Jun 172015

Elantra

My 2013 Hyundri Elantra, started not starting. Had battery tested and replaced and the car still will not start. lights, radio bells and whistles seem to be working fine except that the care engine will not start it does not make a sound.

From Google and researching the issue some said it and issue with the starter connection their suggestion was to push the car backwards it will cause the starter to move and you should be able to start the car ... Can not believe this would work, but in fact after having to removing the gear lock so I could get the car out of park to push the darn car back it started.

Dealership can not find the problem or duplicate the issue to try to trace down a solution

This was my second Elantra, with that kind of customer service it will me my last.

- Margaret L., Sun City, AZ, US

Feb 052015

Elantra Limited 3.2L

Driving along a busy highway during rush hour traffic. Traveling with the flow of traffic approximately 65 mph. Needed to accelerate to get over. The engine lost power, continue to run but would not accelerate. Vehicle began to slow down on its own. Luckily I was able to get over to the side of the road. Gas was low, but more than a quarter. Gas light had come on. Turned the car off and tried to turn it on again. Barely started, but would not give me the rpm need to go. Turned off again and the engine would not start. Had courtesy patrol pull over and they gave me some more gas. That still didn't work. Towed to Hyundai dealer and after awhile the vehicle started up and they could not get it to do the same thing. This is the second time, it would not accelerate but the first time it shut down. Both times there was some hesitancy in the vehicle when first starting.

- sekoujabez, Sachse, TX, USA

Jan 012014

Elantra Active 1.8L

1) Car makes “tak tak” noise every time you try to pick up and slow down. – Explanation by Hyundai Service is its common noise when you have Air con on. (But in reality I don’t have Air Con on they still kept saying its when Air Con is on)

2) Car struggles to pick up randomly when you driving at 60km for around 30 min and if you have to overtake or approaching highway where speed is 110km car struggles , when I put my foot on accelerator it just dosen't do anything and than suddenly it will pick up - Explanation by Hyundai Service its normal as its that type of gear box when you put foot on paddle suddenly it take time to communicate to computer , but in fact I don’t put my foot on accelerator suddenly I do it gradually

3) Major life threatening issue – Car engine cuts off , this issue is going on since Dec -2013. Initially it started when I you drive car in heavy traffic for more than 45 min and if you had to stop in traffic for more than 2-3 min stationary at same spot engine will cut off and all dash lights will go off. This issue happens randomly. This happened 3 times and I decided to send car for repair and Hyundai said nothing is wrong they cant fault it and give me car back. This same issue happened again after month or so I think and send car back for repair and they said they found it what was wrong and they have updated software of car and it should fix the issue. (not sure why they didn’t found first time)

I took car back and same issue again on same day so send car back in repair and same story”We cant get it to fault so we cant do anything, please leave car here for a while and will try” So I agreed with that and gave them car but they came up with same answer. So I took my car back was driving normally for 6 month and exact same issue started again so I called Hyundai Australia and ask for their help, so they offered me same solution as Hyundai Service centre and I took that offer gave my car back in service but no positive outcome. No I was sick of giving my car in repair for this many times.

Hyundai didn’t offer nay help apart from giving me loan car. After all this one day I was driving car at 50km/h and engine cut off when car was moving and because its Automatic car I cant steer or even stop car as everything stops working and avoided horror crash, Now same story again called Hyundai Australia and they asked me to put car back in service and when I was going to give my car back and driving at 60km/h engine cut off and avoided horror crash.

They kept my car in service for a week and didn’t came back with any solution. This thing happen again when I was driving at 90km/h and 110km/h on Hume Highway and its just so risky I have avoided getting killed 4 times and every time I had my pregnant wife with me. I don’t feel safe driving my car at all and its like I spent $23000 to get just junk. Its so inconvenient at this stage as My wife is due in June and when we need all our labour bag and everything ready in car boot and need my car anytime its just not working for me. And changing car and giving back to service every month its just not good enough when you spent $23000 and when company says its 5 years warranty. I need Hyundai to replace my car.

- Manan D., Sydney, Australia

Apr 202015

Elantra

Heard ticking/rattle after hard winter weather. Took in for service 2 months after when winter ended. Called after 4 hour review. Told technicians concerned about engine. Told calling in for warranty approval. 2 hours later told technicians have ordered new engine. Will be in in about a month. Sounds reasonable. No idea why occurred but they will fix.

Then told I can pickup the car. I said 'You just told me the engine is so bad a new one is on order'. But I can drive the car? This blew my mine. Now, if I want to sell the car I have lost value because the VIN has engine replacement. I want a loaner for free. Jury out. I am VERY disappointed.

Buyer beware. I took good care of car. Changed oil every 3 despite manual stating 5K to 7500. Don't drive crazy. Stay at 65mph. I am disappointed.

- ltstnl, Framingham, MA, USA