2013 Hyundai Elantra engine problems: ticking in engine

Ticking In Engine

2013 Hyundai Elantra (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

8.1

$4,390

1. replace engine (15 reports)
  3. small block replacement (3 reports)
2013 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 242015

Elantra Coupe 4.8L

The ticking problem started about 100,000km. It got progessively worse. Took it into the Hyundai dealer along with oil change records. Was granted a "deal" of half of a new bottom end of the engine from Hyundai. Of course the head mechanic said I needed a new one. This was over a year ago. I now have 325 000km on the car and its still going. Recently my brother(a backyard mechanic) was trying to see why my rad fan wasn't working and shorted something out???? No more tick. Hmmm?

- tam25, Duck Lake, SK, Canada

Feb 112019

Elantra Limited 1.8L

2/11/19 brought to dealer after noted ticking noise from engine. Had already looked up ticking noise and is related to piston slap. Hyundai agreed to pay half of price of short block, my price was $4000 out of pocket. Since new short block placed has had nothing but other issues with rough idling when stopped or in park. Car has been in and out of dealer since with issues with less than 1k miles on since new short block. Dealer claimed they fixed it stating that the coil wiring wasn't correct but continued to have same issues with. Car has now been at dealer for 5 weeks (that's ok, I have their loaner car-2019 Sonata) with only 1 phone call to me stating that they can not get car to duplicate the rough idling. Rough idling happens only once engine is warmed up (about 2-3miles of driving). Car has 108,000 miles on

- Melanie N., Norwood, MN, US

Apr 042019

Elantra Limited 1.8L 4-cyl E Dohc(Mfi)

My wife was driving a car she was at a stop light, all of a sudden car made a ticking noise and steering wheel and brake locked up and engine shuts off. After that turned it back on and car developed a ticking noise, so I set up an appointment for oil change. I left my car at dealership for inspection. After 2 days they said; your car is done, oil changed and they said there is no ticking noise. Your car is running fine. At this point dealership seemed to have heard nothing about it and blew me off. Very frustrating, my car still having that problem. Help me!! My car has 67,100 odometer, also I still have 10 yr/100,000 mi Power Train Warranty.

- DEV P., Hanover Park, IL, US

Nov 012018

Elantra SE 1.8L

Just wanted to raise the red flag that these engines are not reliable, the noise is an annoyance, but the larger problem is that is a sign that the engine is wearing out prematurely. Who knows what it might cost to have this issue corrected. $1500 to $2500 is my guess.

- Jay M., Red Oak, TX, US

Jan 012019

Elantra GLS 4 cylinder

I like everyone else, I have the same ticking noise coming from the engine. What I would like to know if anyone knows is there anything being done about it? When I called my local dealership they seemed to have heard nothing about it and blew me off. Very frustrating to say the least I can't afford a new car or pricey repairs like this at this time.

- Cindy B., Meeker, US

Jan 312019

Elantra Limited 1.8L

Ticking noise from engine. 2013 One time owner, mileage 99,373. Ticking when driving and idling. Has a powertrain warranty, anti-perforation warranty, and dealer warranties. Taking to Montgomery, AL dealership where purchased in 2013 to be assessed.

- Donna M., Clanton, AL, US

Jan 302019

Elantra Limited 1.8L

During the polar vortex, my car started to make a ticking when idling and also when accelerating. After reading horrific stories online about this problem, I decided to take it to the Hyundai dealership to diagnose the issue. My fear was confirmed yesterday. I need a new engine. I'm waiting to see if it is covered by warranty. I bought my 2013 Elantra in November 2015 from a dealership. It was approximately 82,000 miles on it. Regardless of if this issue is covered under warranty, I will never recommend Hyundai to anyone. I've experienced another issue where the clear coating is chipping off my front bumper all over the place, which according to the internet, is another common problem with Elantas. I'm not impressed.

- Emily H., Milwaukee, WI, US

Jan 252019

Elantra Limited

My 2013 started making a ticking noise coming from the engine. My car is at a Hyundai dealership in Ohio and they told me the engine needs replaced and Hyundai will not cover it because it has 103,000 miles. I have all records of maintenance and regular oil changes. I have 2 and a half years left on my car payment and no car. At the dealership there were 3 other Elantras in the service department with the same issue and engines on back order. How can Hyundai get away with selling these vehicles knowing of the costly expenses and danger this presents. I have contacted the Ohio attorney general's office...I hope for a resolution.

- Sunny M., Springfield, US

Dec 092016

Elantra GLS 1.8L

In late November of 2016, I was driving my wife to an appointment and noticed that the car began to seem a bit sluggish and hesitate, but nothing other than that. A few hours later as we came back home and I was pulling up in front of our house, the car began to shake violently, the engine light came on and the vehicle shut off. I was able to restart it after this but the car ran rough and shaked.

I took to the local Hyundai dealership in Vacaville and they said the vehicle needed a software update for cylinder 4. Drove home from the dealer and things seemed to be okay other than I noticed a ticking sound. I drove into work and noticed that my fuel consumption was a bit lower than before and there was a ticking sound. Later in the evening when I was driving home, taking a hill I noticed that the ticking was loud as if someone was holding a card against the wheel of a bicycle striking the spokes, but really loud. I took it back to the dealer the next day and they said this time it was the fuel injectors making the noise.

I drove home, went to work, and again the ticking of course was there. The next day I went back and they had someone more experienced look at the car and the service manager later told me that the engine needed to be replaced and that they, Hyundai was having a lot of problems with the engines in the Elantras.

Unfortunately, I was not covered under warranty and was upset that the engine would go bad after I keep it up with regular oil changes. I did buy it used at 53,000 miles, but they also kept up the maintenance. The cost for me for a re-manufactured long block engine was $2826.80 plus labor costing me a total of $6073.50. As of this time, November 10, 2018 the car seems to be okay, but I concerned that this engine may later fail as I have to warm it up before driving on cold days so that it runs quieter.

I do regular oil changes at 3,000 miles instead of the recommended as a way to convince myself that this will prevent another failure. I expected the original engine to last over 200,000 miles on it, so hopefully this remanufactured long block will. I was told by the parts manager that Hyundai was having a lot of engine issues because of the manufacturing process, especially in the Sonatas. I have read that many more people are having the same issue that I have and wonder why Hyundai has not issued a recall or extended owners the opportunity to get a new engine replacement in the U.S..

- Hector J., Vacaville, US

Aug 012018

Elantra GLS

This is a joke. Hyundai is aware of the problem that stemmed from manufacturing. The dealership said they see it all the time. In Canada they replace the engine. Why not in the US? I have a receipt from every oil change that shows good maintenance. A car engine made in 2013 should be able to get more than 110k miles when it was perfectly maintained. They should be embarrassed.

- Sean T., Minneapolis, MN, US

Dec 222017

Elantra GT

First noticed ticking in Dec. of 2017.Took into a mechanic and he originally thought it was the lifters. I then took to a Hyundai dealership. They told me I needed a new engine. I didn't believe them. The ticking kept getting louder. After multiple trips to garages for a diagnosis,I went to another Hyundai dealership. They were able to take pics and showed me the damage that was happening . I tried calling Hyundai.and basically told me sorry about your luck. I hadn't even had the car 3 years and the engine was ticking like a time bomb. Everyone told me to trade off,but when its not paid for I'd lose a lot of money. Ordered an engine first week of May,and was just installed in the 3rd week of Aug. The car was certified pre-owned. I always keep up on oil changes and maintenance. I resented that it was implied by Hyundai I didn't take care of my car. Drove a Mustang for over 10 yrs,and never had issues with the engine. I WILL NEVER DRIVE A HYUNDAI again. I've lost my ass on this one.

- Rhonda M., Upp, US

Feb 012017

Elantra Limited

A couple years ago I finally purchased my very first car. It was used but new to me. A 2013 Hyundai Elantra! Car was in excellent condition until one day, out of the blue, it started making this ticking noise. The noise would increase and go along when the vehicle accelerated and also just in idle. As I have been looking online I see that it seems to be a common problem and I am very upset about it because I have no warranty left. I just have no idea what to do???? I probably have 4 more years left to pay on the vehicle and don't know if I should just deal with it or trade it in. It is so loud and embarrassing to drive. Something is clearly wrong with the vehicle!!!!

- brian84, Denmark, US

Jan 202018

Elantra GLS 1.8L

My Elantra's engine began making ticking noises around the end of January. I mentioned it to a friend of mine who used to be a mechanic at Hyundai and he immediately knew what the problem was and advised me that there is a MAJOR problem with the engines from 2013 Hyundai Elantra's. I brought my car to the dealership and they advised they needed to open the engine to ensure there was no "sludge" that would cause the engine to fail. The dealership confirmed that there was no sludge in the engine and that they would need to send photos to headquarters to see if they will cover it under what they call the "goodwill" policy. I have been granted a new engine under the policy BUT, at this point in time, it has been three months with an engine that is continuously degrading. The answer I receive when I call for an update is "we will call you when the engine comes in". This is my first vehicle, it was properly maintained and in very good condition when I purchased it, needless to say it has not been a good experience and I doubt I will buy a Hyundai the next time I purchase a vehicle.

- Melodie F., Kitchener, ON, Canada

Mar 282018

Elantra Limited

Went to the dealer and they said that all I needed to do was to replace the oil filter with an OEM. They did that and the ticking sound was just as bad. They immediately said that the engine needed to be replaced. If this was an isolated incident, it would have taken them longer to make the determination. I have a vehicle from the dealer to drive for about a month while they try to get a backordered engine in and installed.

- Steven E., Grand Rapids, MI, US

Apr 072018

Elantra Limited

Purchased this used 2013 Hyundai Elantra (Limited) a little over a year and a half ago. It appeared to be in great shape and had excellent maintenance history. About a month ago, however, I began hearing a pretty noisy "ticking" sound on cold starts and when accelerating. I live in a state that has pretty cold winters so I figured it was just the temperature ultimately causing it. However it kept getting more and more noisy, so I took into my local Hyundai Dealership. They ran a full diagnostic and confirmed that it was my rods knocking and that I am driving on borrowed time. The engine only has 78,000 miles, which would normally be covered under the 10 Year/100,000 power train warranty but I am a secondary owner and am outside of the window of coverage. A lot of Hyundai and Kia vehicles are having issues due to using this shoddy Theta II engine, and while the Hyundai Sonata has an open recall to replace the engine, Elantra owners are currently SOL if the warranty is expired.

- Jake H., Ogden, US

Feb 012018

Elantra GLS

To Hyundai's credit, they are going to fix it under the warranty.

But now I can't trust this car. I will trade it in for a Toyota or Honda once the Elantra is repaired.

Loved the car otherwise.

- Michel G., Gardiner Mines, NS, Canada

Jan 272018

Elantra

A bannging noise coming from the engine. Not consistent all the time. Took to garage to be informed that it is a major engine problem and should be taken to the Hyundai dealership for repairs. Might need a whole new engine and a very costly bill. We have only had this car since October! This mechanic has had 3 Hyundai's with the same engine with the same problem in the last month! Taking to dealer tomorrow. Hopefully this will be covered under warranty but it is just 5 years old and just over 100.000km. A requirement for the warranty to be valid is under 100,000 and/or 5 years.

- neet21, Hamilton, ON, Canada

Jan 082018

Elantra

My car started with this loud, annoying ticking sound in the engine that got progressively worse. I took it to a dealer a little over a month ago. There were a few other recalls that needed to be addressed as well as this "ticking" noise. They had my car the entire afternoon, called me that it was ready and when I went to pick it up. The service person I was working with gave me the bad news that I needed a new engine and that they prefer I don't drive my car. After about 45 minutes of going back and forth about needing a car to get around in, him telling me he didn't have anything then finally finding one for me, off I went.

This was around the 15th of January. It's one month today and each week I have been told that parts are on back order and I have to continuously call them for an update. It seems to me that there is a MAJOR issue with the 2013 Elantra's............I am really frustrated at this point. Hoping to have it back next week........we will see.

- Lisa G., Fayette City, PA, US

Jan 222018

Elantra

I bought this car new from the dealership, its a 2013 and it had a few issues in the beginning. It stalled twice but they couldn't figure out what was causing it. After a year the battery failed twice so I had to replace that. Then a month ago my headlight went out but before I replaced the bulb it started working again. Well, a week later the other bulb goes out, then a few days later started working again. Then the next day they both go out. During all this the engine started ticking, and the more I accelerated the faster the ticking got.

I took into the service center and they found metal in my oil and said I needed a new engine. It took 3 days to get warranty to approve the claim. It had 86k miles on it and Hyundai has the 100,000 power train warranty so I'm fortunate that it was covered. But I would veer away from any 2013 Elantra or Elantra GT, just too many issues.

- Nikki C., Duncan, sc, US

Dec 052017

Elantra GL 1.8L

Heard a ticking noise from engine, came from nowhere, and increases when applying throttle and is also in proportion to acceleration. Noise comes from passenger side of engine, and is not really prominent when idling, but is quite loud enough to over power radio at normal volume. took into Hyundai dealer, and was told it needed a new engine, fully covered under warranty. was told new engine will take a few weeks and i will be given a courtesy car for the few days to swap it out. will update when that happens....

- Will B., Whitby, ON, Canada