CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2016 Tucson comes with a dual-clutch, 7-speed transmission. But Hyundai forgot to tell you about one key phrase – zero-move. That's right, an alarming number of owners have said their SUV wouldn't accelerate after a stop.

Turns out that's because the transmission's application logic has been stumbling all over itself. Hyundai recalled the issue in September 2016, but it's difficult to say if owners are out-of-the-woods, or if this is just a sign of things to come.

8.5

2. update computer (1 reports)
2016 Hyundai Tucson transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Hyundai Tucson:

2016 Hyundai Tucson Owner Comments

Apr 272016

Tucson Limited

This problem began shortly after purchase at 14 miles and it is now at 3,600 miles on the car and the hesitation during acceleration still exists, so it is not the Adaptive Learning System, as suggested by one of the service providers. There are no lights to detect a problem and it does not register on Hyundai computer system. This problem requires more lead time when merging into traffic or turning into oncoming traffic. I believe this could cause a serious accident but it is not taken seriously by the original dealership I bought it from or subsequent dealers.

- donnabo28, Aurora, CO, USA

Jul 152017

Tucson Limited 1.6lturbo

Hesitation/ transmission shudder most noticeable in stop in go traffic or when driving very slow on steep hills. It feels like you are starting in 2nd gear in a manual transmission.

This has always been an issue with this car, but it has definitely gotten worse in the past few months.

I have brought this in to Hyundai service several times. They have installed software updates, reset the system, and now are out of options until enough people complain to Hyundai to develop a new update. The service manager agrees that my car does this worse than most, but thinks it is inside the normal range for a Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT). It is bad enough that passengers always comment ('What is wrong with your car?' 'What was that?')

I don’t know if I will buy another Hyundai or not, but I do know I will NEVER buy another car of any brand with a DCT.

- Keesha G., Mason, OH, USA

Jul 212017

Tucson Sport 1.6L

Ongoing issues with the dual clutch transmission on my 2016 tucson sport 1.6, Since nearly the beginning there has been Hesitation accelerating from stop, slipping causes jolt effect when the clutch does grab. very frequent slipping of clutch mostly at slow speeds, clutch slipping also causes vibration/jolting at slow speeds ever since the last SW update. becoming severe safety issue. Occurs even in reverse. was told no defect however there has been three software updates done by dealership addressing this issue as a safety recall, 1st two helped some but the last one made problem worse than it ever has. Was told no way to reverse the SW updates. Dealership and Hyundai unable to help resolve issue stating this is "normal" condition where this is a severe safety issue that is being ignored.

- Frank S., Pottstown, US

Apr 012016

Tucson Sport 1.6L Turbo

When accelerator is pressed from a stop, engine lags severely and feels like it will die. After a second or two, it kicks and the car lunges forward and races. Very dangerous when trying to pull out into traffic. Car dealer has heard of same complaint but offers no solution.

- ammani, Oswego, IL, USA

Jun 012017

Tucson Limited

I've been to the dealer twice about this issue. They claim that the problem is not the car, but its me. You see, the car has "advanced dual clutch technology" and I just don't know how to drive my car. Bullshit. The transmission sometimes slips upon acceleration...I know what that feels like. It hesitates on acceleration from a hard stop. I know what that feels like.

The real issue is that they've already issued 2 recalls and due to lemon laws, I suspect they don't want to release a 3rd.

- Theresa H., Santa Ana, US

Nov 302016

Tucson ECO 1.6L

• CVT transmission

This is the 3rd time that I bring the car to the dealer -UNIVERSAL HYUNDAI-Orlando with the same problem of the hesitation, every time that I stop in a light or in a congested traffic.They check the car update the tcm module but the fricking problem comes back again after some days.

Tomorrow I have an appointment again for the same problem let see what they said tomorrow,last time the maintenance advisor said that that's is normal because the wagon is awd and that's is bull sh...I think is time to do something I call Hyundai America they gave me a id no. for the call and they are going to call the dealer but you know that's never happened I think that Hyundai was more responsible but I was wrong. Time to fill the lemon law papers because the money is not in the trees.

- Octavio L., Kissimmee, FL, US

Jul 142016

Tucson Limited 1.6L

This is only the beginning!!!! Minding my own business, pulled off from a traffic light... or at least I thought I was going to pull off... but no. Called dealership where I bought the car. Took it in and of course I get the standard "we can't get it to duplicate the issue".

- Theresa R., Richmond, VA, USA

Dec 012016

Tucson SE 2.0L

I bought the 2016 Hyundai Tuscon SE pre-owned in November 2016. It had approx. 23000 miles on it. After driving it for a while, it feels like the transmission keeps slipping and, while pressing the gas pedal for a fast acceleration, there is a major hesitation where the car doesn't move. This has happened many many times. I am now fearful of driving it because while trying to change lanes today, the car hesitated and I almost hit the car next to me due to lack of response. I have taken it to the dealer.

- rydalmount, Allen, TX, USA

Apr 012016

Tucson Sport 1.8L Turbo

Twice I had my 2016 Tuscon SUV into dealers to upgrade the 1st gear transmission recall problem. Since April 2016 and 10,000+ miles my car still runs terrible, bogs and hesitates in 1st gear. I still feel like my car is going to stall when starting up or turning right or left. It runs terrible in slow moving traffic and feels like the engine wants to die. Hyundai Corporate takes 5-7 Business days to return a call and I am still a very unhappy Customer. I really recommend that no one purchases this 2016 Tuscon.

- debloome, Down, IL, USA

Feb 272016

Tucson Sport 1.6L Turbo

I have filed prior complaints about this problem as have thousands of other owners. A recall was issues within the past few months regarding this same issue. I brought the car into the dealer and had the transmission "reprogrammed" as outlined in the recall. The issue is still present and poses a very serious safety issue. When the gas pedal is pressed from a stop, the car will hesitate for appr. 1-2 seconds and feel like it will die. The car will then lunge forward as if the gas pedal had been floored. The brake has to be released at least 1-2 seconds prior to accelerating. My family cannot feel safe pulling into traffic as we don't know if the car will actually move when needed to. When coming to a stop, the car will stop then lunge forward again. When coasting at a very low speed as in traffic, the car will "bounce" as if it were a manual transmission and the gas pedal was not pressed. It feels like it will die. When accelerating while moving, there is not a smooth shift between gears as if the clutch plate is not fully engaging.

- ammani, Oswego, IL, USA

Aug 212016

Tucson 1.6T Limited

I purchased this vehicle in late February 2016. I Began noticing a problem recently when accelerating from a stop. The car will momentarily hesitate or not respond when pressing gas pedal. This problem is intermittent and I am trying to find if there is a sequence of events that can be reproduced.. I have mentioned the problem on several occasions to my service department (dealer), Once when doing my 3,000 check up/oil change, and during the last two recalls (latch recall and S/W update?). I was advised the last time I mentioned the problem that they are aware of the problem, with the Dual Clutch Transmission but there is no known FIX and nothing they can do. I find that most unnerving as it can be a very serious life/death issue.

My concern is that of safety, as the car has less than 6,000 miles and I am afraid the problem may worsen or happen when trying to accelerate to avoid/react in an emergency.

I have reported this up the chain at Hyundai, and have received an incident REPORT#. I was told that someone in corporate would call within 3-5 days.and they would provide me more information as to what I can do. Unfortunately, I missed their initial call back, I returned a call to their office and left a message, but have not received a return call.

- nptpete, Newport, RI, USA

Jul 272016

Tucson Limited 1.6t

My brand new car, purchased in March 2016, is causing a life threatening hazard. Multiple times, although sporadic, my car will not move when I press on the gas pedal after being a stop light or stop sign. I have taken my car to the dealer and because the problem is not duplicating itself to the service technician they are not fixing the problem.

Today, July 27, 2016, another driver nearly ran in the back of my car as they were going full speed and anticipated that would move upon the light turning green; I press the gas all the way to the floor and the engine revved but the car did not move. I do not want to end up in a tragic accident or be a victim of road rage because the problem is not being duplicated at the time I take it in to service. I searched for this problem online and there are multiple exact complaints voiced about this same modeled car.

- niatmosely, Inkster, MI, USA

Jul 062016

Tucson LX 4.0L

I purchased the vehicle in December 2015 and had surgery a month later so I didn't drive it much until the end of February. I had relatives caring for me and driving the vehicle. My son and daughter mentioned that the transmission seemed jerky . I agreed but didn't think it was a big deal. Since I have been driving frequently the hesitation issue when engaging the gas pedal has been increasingly bad and today the car would not move with the gas pedal pushed to the floor for about 10 seconds and then it bolted almost hitting the car in front of me. The same thing happened while driving about 40 miles/hour, the vehicle slowed to a stop and would not move with the gas pedal pushed to the floor and eventually bolted again, jerking my neck and the person behind me almost hit me! This is a very serious problem that many others are expressing. Deaths are going to occur if they haven't already. I drove to a local Hyundai Dealership service department and thought for sure that they would take the vehicle in for repair but instead I was told by the service department that it is perfectly normal due to some new dual clutch B.S. He also told me that it will improve as the car learns my driving habits! It seems that the vehicle wants me to learn it's driving habits! There better be a massive recall with repairs or refunds or there will be deaths, law suits and/or a class actin suit. The vehicle is not safe to be on the road and if you don't have one be careful if driving near one!

- Darcy M., Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 012016

Tucson Limited 1.7L

Wife's car and mother in law has same one doing the same problem and bought them a week apart. You are stopped and let off the brake to go and step on the gas and the motor revs up and goes no where. Then all of a sudden it catches and jumps foward. Wife took in to dealer and they said nothing wrong. I said BS and they said or there might be a recall on it check back later. I said BS keep it and fix it and they said nothing wrong they can't. I said it's noted you said nothing wrong so when we get in a wreck you will be responsible

- Jeff C., Humble, TX, USA

Jun 222016

Tucson Limited

gas applied but car is motionless

When gas is applied the RPMs race and the engine revs up but the car remains stationary! The other cars on the road have moved 6 cars lengths ahead of me before my car engages and lurches forward at an accelerated speed. There are no warning lights or sounds and the incidences were not reported on the Hyundai computer system. This has happened multiple times and I consider it to be a life threatening situation. Dealerships have been less than forthcoming about this complaint!

- donnabo28, Aurora, CO, USA