CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 Nissan Altima shows multiple problem trends, continuing the poor reputation of the 2013 Altima, prompting us to give it our "Beware of the Clunker" badge.

Owners are complaining about vibration and even transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

8.8

$3,820

1. replace transmission (50 reports)
2014 Nissan Altima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Altima:

2014 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 092019

• CVT transmission

The worst part of this is the fact that car is awesome and I love the performance but it would have those few occasions where there would be a surge or a shudder but I just assumed it was related to the CVT acting normal. Then to find out that the warranty ended a mere 30+ days prior to the transmission completely failing. If I had know about the issues surrounding the Altima and most Nissan products for that matter I never would have bought the car.

- Jim M., Surprise, US

Jul 082019

• CVT transmission

I bought my 2014 Altima brand new. I previously have had no problems with my car. While driving home on this past Monday, July 8, 2019, my car began to jerk as I was coming to a stop at a red light. I prepared to turn right and the car shut off. I immediately turned the car back on and noticed that my battery and check engine light had come on. The car then shut off again as soon as I pressed the gas. I had to call my dad and one of his friends to come and assist me. I also had my younger cousin in the car with me.

My dad and the tow truck driver assumed that it may have been the fuel filter or pump. I had my car towed to my dealership who informed me the next day that my transmission would need to be replaced and the total cost would be $3,800. They also told me that my warranty had just ended on June 21, 2019. I was so confused as to how a regularly maintenanced car with 76,000 miles would need to replace a transmission after only 5 years.

I searched online, found out this is a very common issue and contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs. I was told that someone would contact me within 24-48 hours. I was contacted the next day and told that Nissan would cover 80% of my costs. That left $828 out of pocket, which I’m really grateful for but also feel as if this shouldn’t even be an expense with how young my car is.

I’m really considering trading my car in before the year is over. It sucks because I really loved my car before this.

- Sheria M., Beaumont, US

May 132019

• CVT transmission

I don't feel that a transmission should be gone in a car 2014 with under 100.000 miles. I really like the car . I was getting ready to buy a new one. I do not know if I want another Altima. Seeing my husband just had to put a transmission in his 2016. You definitely have a transmission problem. I am not happy with the situation.Thank you Mary Lewis

- Mary L., Brooksville, FL, US

May 232018

• CVT transmission

The dealer wanted $4,150 for a new transmission. Found a used one with only 3,000 miles for $2,800 installed and reprogrammed. Planning on selling this before it happens again. Why doesn't Nissan fix this glaring shortcoming in their vehicle?

- Garry O., Sacramento, US

Jun 042018

Altima S 3.2L

The reason I got a Nissan Altima because of the reputation. New transmission not covered under a Nissan warranty….4 years old….wow! Unbelievable! Also, the only reason I found out about the transmission is because I took the car in for a Airbag light. Nissan or my extended warranty will cover the airbag replacement cost of $1,700.

- gmcgrael, Niceville, US

Jul 122018

• CVT transmission

I was on my way to work when I stopped at traffic light when the car shut off and check engine light came on. The car would start but would not go when put in drive. I had the car towed to the dealership and they stated I needed a new transmission. The car gave me no warnings at all prior to transmission failure it would shutter so I guess that was a sign ugh

- Deborah B., McDonough, US

Mar 222019

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

The car started to have the issue last year. I was sitting at a light and the car started to shake. Over the next few weeks it started doing it more and more. Then one day I was driving home with my two children and the car stalled out at a light in the middle of a 4 lane highway. I got out of the car with my kids and flagged down a cop that was at a nearby accident to help push my car out of the way. I got back in my put it in Neutral and the car went into drive and I was able to drive home.

At this point I took it to the dealer and they determined that the Valve Body had to be replaced. This was just around $1,500 to fix and Nissan agreed to pay 70% leaving me with just under $500 out of pocket. I voiced that I was worried this wasn't going to fix the problem but they assured me it would. When I got the car back as I drove out of the parking lot I felt the same issues as I had before. I called them and they told me the car's computer had to relearn/reprogram itself.

A few weeks later the car had the same issue so I called the dealer back and they said to bring it in. They had the car for a week and after a lot of test driving they were finally able to duplicate the issue. They worked on the car again and said that it should be fixed. I picked up the car and over the next several weeks the car randomly showed the same signs of shuddering and shaking. It wasn’t consistent so I didn’t take the car back to the dealer as they would tell me the car is fine and they couldn’t recreate the problem. I stopped driving the car as I did not feel safe driving it with my family and didn’t want to get in an accident.

On March 22nd I had my son in the car and I was going to pick up my daughter when the car stalled out at a light. I started the car up and went to put it into gear and it stalled out again. I did this several more times hoping to more the car to a safe location. Luckily the car stalled at the light and not in the middle of the road where traffic is driving 60 mph in both directions. The car wouldn’t move so I had someone help push the car off the road.

I called a tow truck to take the car to the dealership and then I called the dealership to let them know the car was coming. The dealership remembered all of the issues I have had with the car. They gave me a loaner and when they diagnosed the car a few days later they determined the car needed a new transmission. They told me this is a $4600 repair and we are currently waiting for Nissan’s response on whether they are going to cover any of the cost. Now this will be over $6000 of repairs on a 5 year old car.

- tpwolf, Prince Frederick, US

Jan 142019

Altima 3.2L

• CVT transmission

Pretty sad. We bought this 2014 Altima new with 11 miles on it at Daytona Nissan and are on our 4th transmission already! The first went at I believe 20,000 miles and has had 2 new ones out in since that. So today mark's the 4th transition needed in this piece of crap. It never ran right after any were put in, didn't shift the way it was supposed to. It jerked and clinked while shifting after every new one was put in. Sadly our 2018 Ford f150 is doing the same thing. Already been to garage once and they said transmission pump went at 4000 miles!! We pulled out of garage when done and same jerking and clunking. These cvts are junk starting with 2014...seeing we've had the Nissan Altima 2007, 2011. 2013, and then 2014...all the other 3 had high miles and no transmission or other major issues. So very disgusted how undependable Nissan has become.

- Candy B., Daytona Beach, FL, US

Dec 032018

• CVT transmission

Originally brought my car to my main mechanic for an oil change, mentioning some grinding and was told to bring it to the dealership. Brought the car in to the dealership under warranty at 59,998 miles (I cut it close I know) with a grinding noise around 2000 RPM and was told the could not find or recreate any problem. After continuing to drive on the problem with no solution, it progressed to my engine losing power when I accelerate without notice, sudden lurching, and delay of power after accelerating. I brought the car back to the same dealership again (after a close call almost causing an accident) around 80,000 miles explaining the grinding at 2000 RPM and adding the new info and was told that my transmission had failed and would need to be replaced.

I believed Dealership and Nissan are responsible for repairs due to me bringing them the problem under warranty. After being told I was on my own, I contacted Nissan's customer service for help But still did not get the assistance I was looking for and after 5 weeks without my car I had to settle on 50% covered by Nissan and no assistance from the dealership.

- John K., Palatine, US

Aug 012018

Altima SL 4 cyl

Purchased this car as a certified used vehicle, which gave me the extended (100K) warranty, thank goodness. The transmission first failed at about 97K miles. I assumed the dealer would simply replace it with a factory rebuilt one, which is what I thought was the industry standard. They said they had someone on staff that was sent back to school to repair transmissions specifically. Since it was covered, what could I say but "yes". Well, about 15K miles later, it failed again. Now, the car is technically past the 100k warranty, but with some push from me about the previous rebuild failure, the dealer agreed to fix it, without charge. This time they ordered a factory rebuilt one, and got kind of defensive when I mentioned the previous in-house repair program. The new (third) rebuilt transmission has been great so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

- Robert B., Portland, US

Dec 062018

• CVT transmission

On Dec. 4, 2018 my 2014 Nissan Altima started to jerk and jump while giving out a whistling sound. I decided that on my next off day, I would take my car to the dealer to see what's going on. Well, it couldn't wait that long. On Dec. 6,2018 while on I-285 in Atlanta, Ga. my car stalled. (scared the death out of me), but I had to think quick and get my car out of the line of oncoming traffic. I had my 16yr old daughter in the car with me!

Once off the highway, my car started JUMPING (the car was literally JUMPING LIKE A RABBIT). As I attempted to press the gas, the car wouldn't move, it would idle up, make a loud noise, stall and then continue to jump again! I was about 2 miles from my home, so I let the car jump all the way to the house! Once I got the car home, I had no idea what to do! (this was the first car I HAD EVER financed and had it 3 yrs, purchased it with 35k miles on it, and in my 3 yrs hadn't even put 50k miles on it).

I called my Nissan Dealership, told them what had just happened and they advised me to have the car towed into the service center. I called my AAA to have it towed. The service tech called me the next day to advise that my transmission was GONE! I literally cried, couldn't believe what I was hearing! I said, but how is my transmission gone when I've only had the car 3 yrs, put less than 50k miles on it, I don't go anywhere but to work and back and I only let NISSAN maintain my car??

I was confused, so I asked, what do I do now with this car that I still pay a car note on but can't drive and can't afford to have it repaired. The Service Tech advised that maybe I should call Nissan Corporate of North America to see if they will cover any cost of the repairs because he see these issues everyday and Nissan is aware of the problems, that this isn't a dealership problem but a manufacture problem!

I called Nissan North America to file a claim and was informed that someone would call me back within 48 hrs. I received a call from a Guy named Jerome who informed me that he is looking onto my claim, he's in contact with the Service Center but don't have a decision on my claim just yet! Well, Jerome called back the next day to inform me that unfortunately because my car mileage was 84733k that I was out of my warranty of 60k and Nissan will NOT cover the cost of any repairs!

I asked Jerome why haven't these cars been taken off the road because my daughter and I could have been killed? Of Course, Jerome's entire conversation sound scripted!! I asked, what does he recommend that I do with this car that I can't drive but am still paying for? Jerome stated, "It's your car, do whatever you'd like with it!"

The following day I went back to the Nissan Service Center where my car was located, looking for help and seeking answer's! I advised that I've done some research and this is a shame on how Nissan is causing lives to be put in danger with these faulty transmissions. I spoke with the Service Center Manager (Ralph) trying to figure out what do I next. I asked Ralph what is the total cost of repairs, and if they can work with me at all? Ralph stated, it will be $3980.00 and he can't do anything other than what Nissan Corporate North America stated and that I have 5 days to get the issue resolved or he will start to charge me a storage fee for my car being there! I called Nissan North America back and asked them to reopen my claim.

I sent emails to the President, Vice President and CEO of Nissan North America, the new media and anyone who will listen! I got a call back from a guy named Patrick from North America in regards to my emails, Patrick stated that everything Jerome and Ralph said was correct, however; Nissan will now pay 70% of the cost of repairs as long as I let Nissan service Center perform the work! That left me at 30%($1200.00), that I didn't have simply because I am a single parent and it was so close to the Holidays. So, I tried for 2 weeks to trade the car in with Nissan and other Dealerships......but nobody wanted my car simply because it lost it's equity value due to the failed CVT Transmission!

I contacted Patrick back in hopes that Nissan would own up to their mistake and pay 100% of the repairs, considering that they know it's their problem! However, Patrick insisted that NISSAN will not pay more than the 70% bottom line! I sent another email to the President of Nissan North America with no response back at this time!

On Dec 22 ,2018 I contacted the Service Center back to give the "Go ahead" to repair my car. After 23 days of hell, going back and forth with all these different people within Nissan, I picked my car back up on Dec.29, 2018 after paying the 1200.00 for repairs! This has been a complete nightmare! #DoNotBuyNissan #NissanIsAScam

- tlmatl4u2, Atlanta, US

Apr 122017

• CVT transmission

Bought the car used at 60,000. First the fuel pump went out according to the dealership. I assumed it was the transmission based on the way the car acted. The car would randomly rev up to high RPM's in the middle of driving on the highway. Got the fuel pump fixed. About 2-3 weeks later the car started doing the exact same thing. BINGO Transmission was toast. I was told that CVT transmissions can only be replaced at Nissan dealerships unfortunately. So I'm sure you get a real fair price... Fortunately I had an extended warranty (that was about less than 10,000 miles from expiring). I've heard too many horror stories and now went through my own about stuff like this.

Hopefully this car lasts a long time with a new transmission and fuel pump. My only fear is seeing that this is a common theme for this car, that my transmission could be toast again around 180,000-200,000 miles. I drive about 20,000-30,000 miles for work every year so it won't take long to get to that range.

- josh1234, Chicago, US

Jan 042019

Altima

• CVT transmission

About five months ago back in August 2018 my husband was driving my 2014 Nissan Altima on the highway when out of no where it stalled. I didn't believe him at first, because I have never had any issues with my car. He explained that it just stalled but would start back up and then when he would shift it into drive, it would stall out again. We then took it to a shop and they could not replicate what it did with my husband. So, they said it might be a software issue and updated it.

Fast forward this past Friday on January 11th, I was at a red stop sign, when out of no where my car stalls. I actually thought someone had hit me because it just jolted to a stop so suddenly it felt as if someone hit my car. I then get it into neutral to drive it to the side of the road. I get a tow truck to tow it to the local Nissan dealership. Even the tow truck driver said he's never seen anything like it, and that he drove it off the tow truck no problem.

I get a call two days later from Nissan saying that it shows up as a transmission issue and that it will cost around $5,000 to replace it. No explanation to why a five year old car that has been perfectly maintained would need a new transmission. Of course the warranty is only covered at 60,000 miles so I had no way of coverage.

That day I did investigating on websites to find a recall or any information. What I found was mainly on this website, describing EXACTLY what occurred with my car and to lots and lots of people! I then contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and they created a case number for me. I just received a call today from them stating: "Nissan will not be able to assist you in any way." That was it, end of call. They would not go into explanation and would not suggest any other avenue to have this taken care of.

My frustration at how Nissan is handing this situation is at an all time high after receiving this call. They clearly do not want to take any responsibility for what is clearly a manufacturing issue with either the transmission or a software issue that is saying its a transmission issue. Really, who knows? And if that is the case, they are charging people thousands and thousands of dollars for transmissions that don't need to be replaced in the first place which is kind of my thought process.

At this point I want to seek legal action since they are not willing to take any responsibly for this faulty car (already has 7 recalls on it.) I cannot stand by and be taken advantage of when I've paid thousands for my car and then to be charged $5,000 on a newer car, when it's not even worth much more than that? I refuse to do that. I've even read that people who do get the replacement, then find the issue happen again to them. Which furthers my case into thinking its a software issue.

Fact of the matter is this now is leaving me in a situation where I don't even feel safe to drive, even with the replacement of the transmission. I don't feel safe having a car under a company who clearly doesn't care about the safety of their consumers and is willing to charge them thousands of dollars for an issue that clearly hasn't been investigated enough.

If anyone has any suggestions or resources to take further action please leave a comment.

- Jenna R., Commerce Charter Township, MI, US

Nov 032018

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I AM EASY ON THE GAS AND BRAKES, AND DO A LOT OF HIGHWAY MILES AT NORMAL SPEEDS. THE TRANSMISSION SHOULD NOT FAIL AFTER 4 1/2 YEARS OF DRIVING. THE DEALER KEEPS TRANSMISSIONS IN STOCK!

- Tim T., Lakewood, US

Oct 252018

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Bought the car in September 2018, with 28000 miles on it. One month later, last week in October I was just coming to a stop after exiting the freeway. The car was jerking then stalled in the middle of the road. Try restart the car and it would die when I shift. Scariest feeling being in the middle of the road seeing other cars driving around me! Finally got it towed to the dealer and found out was the transmission. It is still under warranty, so it is covered, but I am thinking about getting a different car now that I see this is not isolated. It is sad that these many cars have the same problem and NISSAN only gives 5 year, 60000 mile warranty. Nissan has the responsibility to fix this known issue.

- bigsnowman, Peoria, US

Apr 012016

Altima S 6

• CVT transmission

Since I purchased the car I had to change the transmission 3 times and had to get a new engine with the cost of over $5000.00. I was stressed out to the max because of such enormous amount of money I had to spend on repairs. I lost time from work and had to spend a lot of money on public transportation and cab services. I could not sleep at did not know what to do. I called the Nissan Cooperate office at least 5 times and they reported that they cannot help pay for the transmission and was not going to re-reimburse me. I find that to be ridiculous has I know Nissan is aware of the transmission problems customers have had and the amount of money they make annually. I am going to be cool about this stressful event and lost of money on many repairs I have made. I hope Nissan will do what is best and reimburse me for all of these expenses.

- Myriam A., Baldwin, US

Apr 282018

Altima S 2.5L

So my husband and I purchased a 2014 Nissan Altima from Chuck Hutton Chevrolet, it has 65000 miles on it. Within the month of purchasing this car and put $3000 down for it, it broke down in the middle of the road on my way to work. I'm glad I wasn't hit by anyone and that my baby was not in the car because it just stopped.

Long story short I lost my job because I wasn't able to get back to work because I couldn't afford another $3700 dollars to replace the TRANSMISSION. I tried to get Chuck Hutton to take it back being that I only had the car for 30 days, they refused. I contacted Nissan and told them the situation, they had me tow it to a Nissan dealership to have it looked at, in hopes of them paying for the new transmission. After about a week they denied it, and now I owe Nissan dealership almost 200 dollars just for looking at it.

Here it is October and my car has been sitting on a Nissan lot since April and I'm still paying the $350 car note. This car had a sticker price of 14000 dollars!!! It's not fair to the consumer, that Nissan doesn't want to recall and fix these cars!

Someone please tell me how I can also be involved in a class action lawsuit for the 2014 Nissan transmission issue if one is indeed going on or about to start.

Update from Feb 12, 2019: Follow me on Twitter at LatoyaJ54877096 Let's use the power Of social media to get justice for our 2014 defective Nissan Altima bc Nissan is ignoring us all.

- Lataya J., Memphis, US

Aug 282018

Altima 2.5 S V4

• CVT transmission

2014 Nissan Altima with 116500 miles regulary serviced and 95% freeway/commuting miles with CVT that failed. Nissan corporation unwilling to help with resolution. Rep said they would document my complaint. Thanks!! Had to replace at the tune of $3450. Had a 2007 Sentra prior to it that the CVT failed twice. Nissan obviously has problems with their product and unwilling to stand behind it. I realize it was out of warranty but failure at that mileage is unacceptable and 3 transmissions in 2 cars. I see a pattern here.

- Clint B., Nampa, ID, US

Aug 292018

Altima S

I got my car back in January. All of a sudden it started jerking and then losing power. Then it cut off and left me in the middle of a busy hwy. Nissan said they won;t cover it because I'm 8000 miles over my power train warranty. But there is a recall on the cvt programming for the transmission.

- Kaylee W., Macon, GA, US

Aug 152018

• CVT transmission

June 2017, took my car into Nissan because of transmission feeling like it was slipping. I was getting some jerking of the transmission, along with delayed acceleration whenever I was at a stop. Transmission was under warranty, 55k miles but Nissan stated they couldn't replicate the issue and sent me on my way.

Fast forward to two days ago. Out of nowhere I had the same delayed acceleration at a couple stop lights. Out of nowhere when I turned onto a busy street, my transmission completely slipped. Revved up to 4000 RPMs but was only going 20mph could not go any fast. Parked the car and turned it off, issue resolved.

Took it into Nissan the next day, still with no issues while driving. But they're stating that my entire CVT transmission needs to be replaced. Probably needed to be replaced when it was still under warranty, now that its not, they want me to pay $4000 to have it replaced. This is ridiculous, they don't want to own up to their CVT transmission issues and they are just profiting from the replacements.

Already filed a complaint under NHTSA (national highway traffic safety administration) I'm hoping someone opens a class action lawsuit against them. They already have one out on their CVT for Sentras. We need one for Altimas!!

- Dahsia M., Henderson, US