2014 Nissan Pathfinder transmission problems: stutters excessively

Stutters Excessively

2014 Nissan Pathfinder (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 has a small, but significant number of transmission complaints at low mileage. The issue is part of a class-action lawsuit that says the Pathfinder's transmission shakes violently during acceleration between 15mph and 30mph.

7.3

$4,000

2. replace transmission (9 reports)
  3. replace torque converter (1 reports)
  4. update (1 reports)
2014 Nissan Pathfinder transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Pathfinder:

2014 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 082019

Pathfinder SV V6

BOUGHT THE CAR IN 2017. RIGHT AFTER, THE CAR STARTED SHAKING WHEN I STOP OR TAKE IT OUT OF PARK AND GET READY TO DRIVE. I KEEP BEING IT BACK TO THE NISSAN DEALER CLOSE TO THE HOUSE AND DID A COUPLE OF 2 TO 3 MINUTE ROAD TESTS WITH THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT, BUT THEY KEEP SAYING THEY DON'T SEE ANY PROBLEM. SO I STOP COMPLAINING BUT THE PROBLEM KEEPS ON. IT GOT WORSE IN JUNE. IT STARTED TO BE EVERYDAY INSTEAD ON ONCE IN A WHILE. MENTION IT TO DEALER EACH TIME I GO TO GET MY OIL CHANGED, BUT THEY KEEP WANTING ME TO PAY FOR TESTS. MY CAR IS SHOT NOW. IT SEEMS TO BE A BIG PROBLEM WITH THESE CARS BUT NISSAN DIDN'T SEND ME ANY RECALL NOTICE OR INFO TO GO GET THE CAR CHECKED FOR PROBLEMS. I WANT MY CAR FIXED BY NISSAN. I FEEL LIKE THEY KNEW ABOUT THE PROBLEM ALL ALONG JUST DIDN'T WANT TO PAY TO FIX IT. THEY ALL KEEP SAYING THERE WERE NO RECALLS ON MY PATHFINDER AFTER DOING MY OWN RESEARCH TODAY I SEE THAT THAT'S A LIE.

- samhud01, Lithonia, US

Apr 292019

Pathfinder 4x4 3.6L V6

• CVT transmission

This is my first time going through this and when it happened I had my 4 month old daughter in her car seat. That was a traumatic experience when I make sure to keep up with maintenance on this car. It's very unfortunate something like this is happening with my car, but something have to give like a discount or recall of this car and have the tranny's replaced.

- Jamal H., Ridgefield, US

Feb 042019

Pathfinder LX 3.2L

• CVT transmission

The transmission was replaced in 2015 at 42,000 miles under warranty. Now it's doing the same thing again 110,000 miles. Nissan won't acknowledge that it's a workmanship or design error and wants $4,000 to replace for the THIRD time!!!

- Joe W., Olathe, US

Aug 012017

Pathfinder 3.6L V6

Lots of stuff online about this problem, no fix in plans from dealer.

- Rich H., Butler, NJ, US

Mar 192014

Pathfinder SL 3.2L V6

• CVT transmission

I purchased a brand new Nissan Pathfinder in March of 2014. We started having problems about a month later with 600 miles. The stuttering, hesitating, stalling and cutting off. I have been to the dealership more times than I can count. They have replace the valve body and said they reprogrammed the transmission numerous times. I asked the dealership for a new CVT transmission a couple of years ago to no avail. Now the car is undriveable. They are NOW after 4 years, 73,000 miles, replacing the transmission. I am more than frustrated with all the time, lost work hours, gas, etc. trying to get this fixed. I filed a complaint with Nissan and was turned down initially for a replacement or buy back. Has anyone else gotten a buy back or replacement due to the CVT issues?

- Angel V., Gainesville, VA, US

Feb 062015

Pathfinder Limited V6 3.5L

• CVT transmission

The car was brand new and shuttered excessively. This occurred all the time. Nissan replaced the transmission. The shuttering still occurs but not nearly as frequently. This car has been a total nightmare. I will not buy another Nissan. Nissan will get $0 more from me.

- Scott A., South Jordan, UT, US

Jul 012016

Pathfinder Platinum 3.6L

I have a US import Car in UAE. It started having a noise from the gearbox which I reported to the authorized service center while going for the service. After the service the service representative informed me that this model does have an issue with its gearbox as it is a manufacturing defect and to change it would be expensive.

Even though this car was sold in US it has been now imported to UAE. So isn't this Company's responsibility to rectify this in whichever country it is in now as the change of location doesn't affect the manufacturing defect.

- Jithin K., Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Sep 252017

Pathfinder LX

• CVT transmission

purchased my Nissan 2014 Pathfinder in May of 2017 the test drive was smooth and painless. 3 weeks later I noticed that at low speeds when pulling off from lights, in stop and go traffic or when merging on the Highway it would jerk as if it was not getting enough gas. The issue happens at least 3 times a week so it is now October and I have an appointment at the dealership on 10/9 to drop it off, hopefully they can get it to duplicate the issue so they can fix it.

Update from Jan 20, 2018: took my truck in October and was advised that I had codes in my transmission and one of them was to rebuild my transmission. I find it totally hard to believe that there is a code that says rebuild transmission however that is what i was told in addition my engine light has never came on so I am left to believe that the codes are from before I brought the vehicle or the dealerships way of fixing the issue. Needless to say they fixed it and thing were going good until December when my husband noticed that it was leaking transmission fluid. I called the dealership and took it back in on January 5, 2018. The advisor wrote down that it was leaking oil and gave me this whole story on the phone about how the oil gets trapped and they try to clean it off but sometimes it still leaks.

At 2pm, on 1/5/2018, I called the dealership to find out the status of my truck and was asked to come get a rental since my truck in was in fact leaking transmission fluid. I was told it was from the transfer element. So once again my car is in the shop for the transmission and that has been 2 weeks ago. I haven't heard from the Nissan dealership and was not even given a timeframe for the repair. My rental agreement stated 7 days but I guess it my responsibility to call them to find out when my vehicle will be completed.

- glamdiva1, Columbia, US

Sep 042014

Pathfinder Platinum 3.2L V6

I was aware of the issue with previous models but was told that this was a newly designed CVT and that the issue was resolved with 2014's. Bought it as a Demo vehicle with 6500 kms. Told it was an executive use. Noticed the stuttering almost immediately. Now I'm thinking that the previous owner ( not a dealer use) returned it, made a stink and they gave him a new one or his money back. Has progressively gotten worse. Looked up the recall issue before it was a recall and heard of dealerships in the U.S. replacing the CVT or transmission but that after a while the new one was stuttering too.

Have taken it back to my dealer several times. They now have a 'system' in place to 're-program' the transmission but from what I can tell all it does is rev the engine higher. The 2nd 'software update' now feels like the truck is in first gear on the highway and revs so high I'm worried the engine is now being damaged. Shame on Nissan for not fixing this issue in previous model years. We can send a man to the moon but they can't figure out this CVT problem. I'm taking it in next week and have requested no more software upgrades. I want a new tranny or let me out of my lease. This will be my last Nissan. Not because of the problem but because how they have dealt with it. NISSAN SUCKS! STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

- Dave H., Richmond Hill, ON, Canada

Apr 062017

Pathfinder S V6

When driving at low speed sometimes - not always the car starts to shutter until you pick up speed or stop. Absolutely ridiculous for this to occur.

- fitzmag, Milford, NJ, US

Feb 132014

Pathfinder SV 3-6 V6

• CVT transmission

The issue started before the first oil change. I reported the issue to the dealer and after performing diagnostics they confirmed no issue. Now the vehicle is over 3 years old the problem is becoming more noticeable and dangerous in low speed. The car shudders in low speed, turns and trying to merge into traffic in low speed. First I thought it is a driver's error, but now the car feels like it will fall apart under me. Most days it feels like driving my grandma's old Chevy. Probably the worst vehicle I have ever owned or driven. Not sure if Nissan is doing anything about the problem other than the call action suit.

- Albert T., Houston, US

Apr 132017

Pathfinder

• CVT transmission

When accelerating from full stops or slower speeds (e.g., 15 to 40 mph), the vehicles will start to shake. I would describe this problem as a "judder" or "shudder." It happens when merging into traffic or accelerating on the freeway, presenting a serious risk of accidents and injuries I think nissan is aware of this issues the service departments acts like they are not aware how can you not be when is plastered all over the internet of class action law suits

- Textile L., Orlando, FL, US

Jul 102016

Pathfinder SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

This problem started before July 2016, but the shuddering was usually brief and would go months before it happened again. At first I put it down as possibly some bad gas. On July 21st I was about a quarter mile from the dealer and the stuttering was so bad I thought the vehicle was not going to make it up a hill. I immediately went to the garage to report it. An appointment was made for July 21st & no problem was found. The service manager suggested that it was about time for the 30000 mile check up which includes transmission service. I told him I had them do that service in May. After leaving the garage later in the day I had one minor stutter but have not had any stuttering problems since.

- aantolik, Indiana, PA, US

Oct 152016

Pathfinder SV 3.5L

• CVT transmission

I think I am still within the 5 years and 60k miles powertrain warranty.. I will be bringing car to dealer to have it checked and fixed.

- Kin C., Brooklyn, NY, US

May 012016

Pathfinder Platinum 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

I HAVE MENTIONED THIS IN MY PREVIOUS COMPLAINT. DID NOT KNOW I COULD REGISTER THIS AS A SECOND ONE.

- miqdad, Pickering, Canada

Aug 302016

• CVT transmission

i have researched and found this problem with the transmission is on 2013 and 2014 nissan pathfinders. i haven't seen were it occurs on 2015. is the transmission on 2015 compatible with 2014. did they fix the problem in the newer ones.

- Cameron M., Madill, OK, US

Sep 072016

• CVT transmission

this is unacceptable nissan should make a new transmission for the 2014 nissan pathfinder. one that does not slip and jerk with only 37000 miles on the transmission.

- Cameron M., Madill, OK, US

May 142016

Pathfinder SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

Nissan please fix this problem. Please issue a recall because I don't want to spend more money to fix your design problem.

- rickyhey, Dubin, OH, US

Jul 042015

• CVT transmission

Disappointed that this would happen with a new vehicle with only 10k miles.

- Joseph Y., woodbridge, CT, US

Sep 012015

Pathfinder SV 3.5L

• CVT transmission

The Pathfinder shutters at low speeds (10-20 mph). Took it to dealer and they could not reproduce the shutter. The dealer told me to bring it back when it starts getting worse. I'm just afraid it will be out of warranty!

- John G., Rogersville, US