ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

9.1

$4,210

1. replace transmission and radiator (90 reports)
  2. replace transmission (19 reports)
  4. replace radiator and flush transmission (9 reports)
  5. rebuild transmission/replace radiator (4 reports)
  6. replace radiator, possible transmission (1 reports)
2007 Nissan Xterra transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Xterra:

2007 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Jun 262018

Xterra V6

I put a new transmission in and a radiator and flushed everything and 2 months later the same thing happened where the transmission fluid was mixing with the coolant. Now I'm sitting at my mechanics trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

- Dorothy M., homer, NY, US

Jul 012018

Xterra V6

This is terrible...I'm sick to my stomach about this...how can a car maker knowingly have a design flaw and not fix the problem it started. I'm the original owner and probably need to go buy a brand new vehicle because of their poor design...I can tell you one thing it won't be a Nissan if this is the way they treat their customers.

- Vince F., Philadelphia, PA, US

Aug 312017

Xterra

Bought a 2007 Nissan xterra with 125000 miles in December of 2016. August 31 2017 my family and I were on our way to the state fair when transmission suddenly gave out in the middle of traffic. We tried to nurse back into town but got stuck in the middle of the road with a semi truck barreling down us. Had to get out and push car to the side of the road to avoid getting struck. NHTSA says the is no safety risk with the this type of problem for this model of car. They are dead wrong my family was almost killed because the radiator leaked coolant into the transmission causing it to fail. Nissan knows about the defective radiators but has issued no recall whatsoever. Is it going to take a whole family getting killed before Nissan does something or the government does something. Repair cost is 6150 dollars to replace radiator and transmission. Contacted Nissan and they said nothing we can do for you your sol goodbye.

- angryman123, Hastings, US

Jul 022017

Xterra SE 4.0L V6

This is terrible customer service if the company knows about the defect and does nothing to help or warn the customer!

- Joyce K., Elyria, OH, US

Jun 152017

Xterra LX V6

I went to Nissan with the problem in January and they wanted me to pay $10,000 to fix it. No. really what they wanted was for me to trade it in and buy a new car. I checked around with some transmission places and they wanted half what Nissan wanted to fix the he same problem, actually they fixed the universal joint that failed as well, for a lot less money.The universal joint fell off while they were trying to tow it.

- grimesfelecia99, Portsmouth, US

Jul 242014

Xterra SE

I had problems with the transmission fluid mixing also. Truck had no power to it. Problem went on for months, no one had any idea what was going on. I brought the Xterra into Nissan, they recommended new tires and balancing. So I priced around for tires, got new tires and balancing at Sears. Same problem. Got oil changed, they said someone must have accidentally put oil in the wrong hole, so they flushed it out and refilled everything.

A couple of weeks later, my truck lost power and steering when I was driving locally. After turning on truck OFF and ON again, it reset, but I was totally freaked out by that time already. The next day I brought it back to Nissan. Only after bringing the truck back to Nissan for the third time did I get an answer from a Nissan Service Manager.

Apparently when I brought my truck in the last couple of times I dealt with other Service Techs that were unaware of the transmission fluid issues. Unfortunately, my truck now had over 100,000 miles and they wouldn't do ANYTHING to help me out. They said it would cost $6,000 to repair, but they do accept credit cards. So I traded it in.

They deducted the $6,000 from the current value of the truck and gave me $2,000 toward my next vehicle. I bought an Altima only because I felt like I was stuck and in a bind. I won't be buying anymore NISSAN products in the future.

- jherleth, Jackson, nj, US

Jun 152017

Xterra

The radiator had a malfunction sending antifreeze into the transmission pan,causing the tranny to go. Not happy. After looking up because I've never heard of this happening, there are a lot of nissans this is happening to over 90000 miles. Nissan should be held responsible. This isn't fair. I will never buy from nissan again.

- heatherandmark286, Stillwater, US

Jul 092016

Xterra X 4.0L

$6500.00 is a bit high your website says...Well that is the original estimate that General Transmission gave me after they inspected it. The transmission was blown on account the radiator failed internally and sent coolant into the transmission. I purchased it from a dealer and there was no evidence at the time of purchase so clearly someone hid the problem by changing fluids in both tranny and radiator. I paid 8500.00 for the Xterra which is high retail. Two days later with a full tank of fuel and three passengers and myself were getting on the freeway to drive just one mile and then exit. Two miles later at home, a heavy gear oil smell could be smelled and it was massively slipping in drive and reverse and totally lost 4x4. I had it towed the next day after reading some yelp reviews. General Transmission in Reno have it at pressent and the bill has been lowered a bit and the used car lot that sold it to me is picking up some of the bill. Less than half, but at least I am getting some compensation. I was told it had a 90 day warranty on the power train and if anything should go wrong with any part that makes the vehicle go forward, the warranty would fully cover it. Well that is what Mill Street Auto in Reno Nv. said. But the fine print says a max of 500.00 of coverage. So again not what I expected. But at least that is another 500.00 off the bill. I cant wait to get back on the road and drive because the Nissan really is a nice comfortable vehicle to drive. Plenty of room to travel and camp so enough about this. Wish Nissan would have put out a service bulliten to all the Xterra owners to replace the radiator and prevent this whole mess. I would have rather spent 800.00 on a new radiator.

- Dorothy H., Palm Springs, CA, USA

Apr 242017

Xterra LS V6

I have had my Xterra serviced from day 1 of purchase at the dealership. Always tell the service department to do whatever it needs. Never have they mentioned to me the transmission problems that have been going on with this model. I could have had the radiator or whatever needed to prevent this.

Now last week my car makes a strange jerking when going into 4th gear and I take it straight to Nissan. They call me and tell me it is going to be $5000 to repair? Unbelievable ! They act like it is no big deal. After looking on line and seeing they have known of this issue for quite a while angers me even more. There should be a recall on this problem. No one should be stuck with bills like this for the fault of Nissan.

I will tell everyone I can STAY AWAY FROM NISSAN!!!

- cylindersplus, Evans, US

Feb 252017

Xterra SE 4L V6

My car started having trouble heating unless the car was moving >20 mph, I also noticed it started to "skip" when I would it would shift gears and at times felt as if I was running on a wash board surface. Finally took it in and found the radiator leaked into the transmission. Had to order the new transmission and it and the radiator are being replaced next week.

- Lisa B., Edmonds, WA, US

Sep 142016

Xterra SE 4.0L V6

The second of the many common, expensive and necessary repairs we've had to make on our Xterra.

Around 110k miles, I took it in for a free inspection and asked them to take a look at the tranny fluid. I had just heard about the potential issue and wanted to check before I rerouted the cooler line away from the radiator. Sure enough mine had mixed.

The dealership offered the options of replacing the radiator and flushing the transmission. Was i believe $400 for the former and upwards of $3,000 for the latter. I opted to change the radiator myself (bought online for ~$100) and then paid a transmission shop to flush the transmission for $260 until it ran clean (through the torque converter, as recommended by a transmission friend). Now driving with fingers crossed we caught it in time to save the transmission.

A couple of videos online for replacing the radiator, took me about 2 hours, wasn't too bad.

- John F., Portland, OR, USA

Feb 032016

Xterra LX V6

The warranty was good to 100,000 miles however the problem has been in existence since the manufacture date. I was never informed of the problem even though Nissan says they sent out notice. Poor business practice. I had purchased a 2015 Nissan Armada prior to knowledge of the existing problem. I will never buy another Nissan

- horntx, Lufkin, TX, US

Dec 232015

Xterra

This vehicle originated from USA, bought from a Canadian and shipped across border. My dilemma is that due to this aforementioned reason neither Nissan North America or Nissan Canada take ownership for this vehicle. I was told by dealer that USA sent out a warning letter, which I did not receive, Canada did not therefore I was unaware to monitor the cracked radiator leaking into transmission. By the time I was alerted due to a sound like I was driving on gridlines, it was too late.

Last December 23, 2015 I was told it was going to cost 7000.00 Canadian to fix my vehicle and that it was not covered under warranty due to mileage (105345 miles) and that Nissan Smiths Falls had never had them cover it past extended warranty. Merry Christmas to me! I decided it was worth fixing as vehicle otherwise is a good, solid vehicle. I had just put new tires on it in September 2015. It was cheaper than buying another vehicle to which I could not afford as I am a single person with one income, stretched by a mortgage.

To say the least, I was overwhelmed due to time of year and was sobbing in the Nissan dealerships parking lot wondering what to do. Smiths Falls Nissan was amazing with me and gave me a rental for the 3 weeks it took (due to holiday period it would take longer to fix). I have the vehicle and it is running fine, but don’t trust it any longer.

- Christine C., Kingston, ON, Canada

Oct 252016

Xterra

Nissan refused to fix the problem. I paid a lot of money for this truck. I'm angry.

- Micheline A., Brooklyn, NY, USA

Oct 092016

Xterra SE 4.0L

Bought this car used for my daughter's first car. It had 133,000 miles when we purchased it and after driving it less than 30 days the transmission went out. upon further investigation I have come to find that I am 1 of many that have had this problem. Cross contamination of the antifreeze and the transmission. Antifreeze got into the transmission which fried the TCM and corroded all of the gaskets.

I called the local Nissan dealer and told them what type of vehicle I had and that I was having a transmission problem and they knew right away what the problem was and were very quick with an estimate of $6000 to fix the problem. The car is only worth $7500 on KBB. I have found a local mechanic that fixes the Xterra, Pathfinder, and Frontiers all the time and will do it for around $2000. The effected models range from 2005 to the 2010.

I have called North America Nissan and filed a complaint with them but I am not very optimistic of the outcome. If Nissan hasn't owned up to their mistake by now they probably never will. So if you are looking to buy a used car steer away from any the models listed above unless they can prove to you the problem has been fixed. Because it's not a matter of will it happen, it's a matter of when will it happen!

Update from Oct 27, 2016: Update: my transmission guy replaced the valve body in the tranny last week. I went to pick it up and had gotten a mile from the shop and the CEL came on. I put an OBD meter on it and came up with a P0717 which is the input speed senor no signal. I took it back and got a call a week later he told me that the valve body he got from Nissan was bad. when he asked the service manager at the dealer he was told that they have had quite a few of the new one's coming back with that problem. This is yet another screw up from Nissan that they are not willing to fess up to. The mechanic had to replace the bad valve body at his cost. he said this would probably would be the last Nissan he would do because of their poor support. Going to pick it up tomorrow and just hope that this one works.

Update from Nov 7, 2016: Got the xterra back and have driven it for almost 2 weeks now with no problems, it actually drives and shifts better than it did originally. big thanks to my tranny guy who fixed me up. Hopefully no more problems!!!!!

Update from Oct 4, 2018: Been almost 2 years and the Xterra is doing great. No more problems!

- hillbilly13, Ten Mile, TN, USA

Sep 102016

Xterra X 3.2L V6

2007 Xterra in great condition , made my last payment on September 3rd , 2016 , on September 10th , 2016 , I lost any kind of power to the wheels , it was like I was stuck in neutral , coasted into a parking lot , I could shift through every gear but it wouldn't move , got it towed to a repair shop , he said it was something to do with the transmission that he doesn't work on and I should take it to a Nissan dealer , got it towed to the nearest dealer , and they said the radiator had failed causing coolant to mix with the transmission , and I would need a new radiator and transmission , cost : $6,200 , Wtf , that is more than the value of the car . I had applied for Social Security Disability a year ago so for the past year I've had absolutely no income and then to be told it's basically junk was devastating , why sink $6,200 that I don't have into a 10 yr old car that's only worth $5,000 , so now I'm selling my perfectly looking Xterra for whatever i can get for it and have no transportation to get to my many drs appointments , to get online and see all the other Nissan owners with the same problems was disheartening , we all got screwed and Nissan could care less , won't ever buy another Nissan again and advise others to avoid them also .

- Neil O., Livonia, MI, USA

Aug 012014

Xterra V6

VEHICLE IS OUT OF WARRANTY AND OVER 100K MILES, REPLACED THE RADIATOR IN 2014 WHEN IT LEAKED INTO TRANSMISSION, JULY 2016 TRANSMISSION IS GIVING OUT NEEDS REBUILD FOR $3,750. ALSO HAD TO REPLACE CATLYTIC CONVERTER IN 2015 FOR $950.

- Mike W., Canyon Lake, TX, USA

Mar 222016

Xterra LX 4.0L

It sucks that no one is taking responsibility for this damage. How long will it take before the rest of the world finds out how we were played. I thought that Nissan was a great product on to find out I got screwed. I have had to replace the struts at least 3 times and it still squeaks no matter the brand I put on. And now my truck still smells like it has a coolant leak and for some reason I am getting water coming in on the passenger side can tell where its coming from.

- Jose M., Lake Station, USA

Jun 062016

Xterra ES

Great car until everything started happening just after the extended warranties expired.

No real warning.......

- Tim C., Knoxville, TN, USA

May 282016

Xterra 4.0L V6

This vehicle gave us no warning, I was backing out if the driveway and put it in drive and it would not go. Turned car off, then the thing would not start and never did. From that point I was told that I would need a new transmission and radiator due to the sensor in the transmission going bad and mixing the oil and coolant together and it has ruined the whole car. We are a family of 5 and only have 1 car for both to get to work and kids to care for and living pay check to pay check. No way to fiance another car or buy one. Thanks Nissan, you suck.

- William T., Knoxville, TN, US