- October 18: Chevy Bolt Recall Fix Will Cost $2 Billion recalls | 7 days ago
- October 12: GM Oil Consumption Lawsuit Partly Dismissed news | 13 days ago
- October 5: Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500/3500 Owners: Park Outside recalls | 20 days ago
- September 29: GM Recalls Cadillac, Chevy and GMC Vehicles For Fuel Pumps recalls | 26 days ago
- September 21: Takata Airbag Investigation Includes 30 Million Vehicles investigations | 34 days ago
Key Gets Stuck In The Ignition
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt (Page 1 of 3)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.
The 2006 added it’s own special flare with gas leaks due to cracks in the “return portion of the modular reservoir assembly.” A recall of 2006 Cobalts was issued to fix the problem, but only to vehicles sold in or current registered in Arizona and Nevada, leaving other owners to pay for repairs themselves.
Between this car stalling while driving, giving owners fits with power steering failure and having it be a potential tinderbox because of gas leaks, we felt we had no other option than to award it our “Avoid Like the Plague” badge.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 59,100 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 42 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (25 reports)
- should be recalled based on the number of complaints (4 reports)
- access door under column - push button & it will release key (3 reports)
- dealer replaced the ignition lock cylinder (3 reports)
- replaced the shifter (3 reports)
- had shifter replaced (2 reports)
accessories - interior problem