6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (294 reports)
  3. replace panel (117 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 22 of 39)

Jan 202010

Explorer XLT 4.6L

Well this is something that Ford should recall but there is a simple reason as to why it happens, and no matter how well you think you take care of your vehicle, its caused by putting to much pressure when closing the lid. It doesn't need to be cold out for this to happen either. Seeing that its a problem that keeps persisting it should be something Ford should consider recalling.

- , Lethbridge, AB, Canada

Jan 012010

Explorer

Every time I drive down the road, I see multiple Explorers with similar cracked rear panels. I am sure Ford is aware of the defect in their product design and should address it appropriately - replace the defective rear cracked panel at little or no cost to the consumer.

- , Jackson, TN, USA

Explorer XLT

I noticed this crack and had no clue how it happened. Then i started to notice it on other explorers also. Thats when i realized it was a defect. I have a few problems with mine, And they keep telling you to buy AMERICAN. Come on FORD give us better quality and do better with fixing complaints

- , Akron, OH, USA

Aug 182010

Explorer XLT V6

I was getting groceries out of the car last night, and noticed the crack. At first I thought it was some gasket sealant or something, but on closer examination saw it was a crack. I took it by a Body shop that I recently had other work done at and they told me about it being a factory defect and would cost about $450 to repair. They said to check with the Ford Dealer though. I stopped by the ford dealer and the service manager was at lunch. Waiting for a call back. When I was talking to the salesman about the issue he said he used to work at the Lincoln Mercury dealer and they had the same problem on the Mountaineers. Come on Frod You know this is a defect, lets get it fixed!

- , Reinholds, PA, USA

Jul 142010

Explorer XLT V6

I came home and found the back rear panel of my 2004 Ford Explorer XLT cracked next to the Ford emblem. I never use this back rear panel so there is no possibility that I caused the crack. Within the next 3 weeks I noticed at least 14-15 other Explorers with the same crack in the same location. When I talked with the owners of the other vehicles they too explained no collision or cause for the crack.

- , Loudon, TN, USA

Aug 142010

Explorer XLT V6

If this is and has been a FORD problem, then FORD should fix the problem!!!!!!!!

- , Monument, CO, USA

Jul 082009

Explorer

We came home from a trip to find our Ford Explorer sitting in an LAX parking lot with the back panel cracked. Now that mine is cracked, I seem to notice more and more Explorers with similar cracks. Even my mother's 2002 Ford Explorer has the same crack. It is very frustrating, especially because I'm thinking of getting a new vehicle and I worry about how the "crack" is going to affect the selling/trade-in price.

- , Encinitas, CA, USA

Dec 162009

Explorer XLT V8

poor quality..............I take good care of my cars, this is clearly a defect. I thought perhaps something hit it then I noticed several other Explorers on the road have the same issue. Shame shame FORD.............no wonder you needed a bailout you don't stand behind your products.

- , Annandale, VA, USA

Jun 222010

Explorer XLT V6

THIS HAS HAPPENED TO EVERYONE I KNOW THAT OWNS A 2004 EXPLOYER SO THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM FAULTY PARTS

- , Rockmart, GA, US

Jan 012006

Explorer

The Ford people told me I had to fix it to get a good return on a trade-in, even thought they know this is an endemic problem.

- , Simpsonville, SC, USA

Jun 122010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L Sohc

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

I just hope that The Ford Motor Company fixes this problem cause this is America and people take pride in there vehicles, if not there is always the other guys.

- , Brockton, MA, USA

Jan 012007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

This seems to be a problem with all of these models. Ford will do nothing about it. It is an obvious defect. I got the best esp warranty($2800) and it still won't cover it. No exterior plastic parts moldings are covered after 3yr/36000 miles BS.... OH Ford fixed the problem, they changed the new model style and took the Ford label out of the panel were it cracks. I guess someone learned something from our problems!!!! LAST Ford for me!!!!! I can't believe we can't do something about this if we all band together.

- , West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Sep 162009

Explorer LX 4.0L

How come ford will repaint a 1988 f 150 but wont fix the broken panel or the peeling paint on a 6 year old vehicle. paid too much for this explorer an now we are all getting taken to the cleaners.

- , Union Beach, NJ, USA

Jul 012010

Explorer Eddie Bauer

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

Came out of work one day, and noticed this crack down the rear panel. I know it wasn't there in the morning, so I thought something had hit my car. However, upon closer inspection there weren't any other marks on the paint. When I took my car to the Ford Service Center in Torrance, CA; the Service Writer told me that I was the 5th Explorer that week with the same problem. He explained that there is a hollow space behind that panel, and when they attached the Ford emblem, it puts stress on that plastic piece. Therefore, when opening the rear liftgate, and closing it with any force, it eventually will crack. He said it was not covered by Ford, even though it is an obvious design defect! He told me that most people just don't get it fixed because it's so expensive. What type of Customer Service is that??

So after ordering the part ($167); then having the body shop (which happens to be located inside the Ford Dealer!) paint & install ($291), I'm out $458! This is my last Ford vehicle...never again!

- , Lomita, CA, USA

Jun 152008

Explorer XLT V8

Its a pain in the ass to see the crack everytime you open the tail gate. every time I question some one at a Ford dealer they act like it has never been an issue with any other Explorer owner and blow me off.

- , Florence, OR, USA

Explorer V6

i need to have this fixed...

it appears to be a problem that is common to Ford Explorers

i don't think i should have to come out of pocket for a manufacturer defect

i love my explorer.. but this stinks.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Jun 062010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Same problem as everyone else, I know it wasn't there when I parked, came back a day later and there it was. A crack in the back near the Ford emblem. I was driving one day and noticed it in the same place on another Explorer, which made me start looking, since then I have seen several.

- , Stafford, VA, USA

Sep 102009

Explorer LX V6

I contacted ford about this problem and the lady in customer service said she has NEVER heard of anyone having the same problem and that there is nothing Ford can or will do to help with the repair or replayement.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Explorer XLT V6

Apparently this is very common. I see them all over the highway with cracked panels exactly in the same spot. whats up with that? I've always been a ford fan, but this one sucks.

- , Pensacola, FL, USA

May 012009

Explorer Limited V6

Noticed a small crack below the rear window. In a matter of 2 months it split all the way. Now the back door of our Explorer looks awful. I've seen at least 4 other explorers with the same problem. Something like this affecting hundreds of Ford customers should be significant enough to be noticed. Ford better do a recall to get this corrected ASAP at their expense.

- , Columbia, SC, USA