6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (294 reports)
  3. replace panel (117 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 23 of 39)

May 012009

Explorer Limited V6

Noticed a small crack below the rear window. In a matter of 2 months it split all the way. Now the back door of our Explorer looks awful. I've seen at least 4 other explorers with the same problem. Something like this affecting hundreds of Ford customers should be significant enough to be noticed. Ford better do a recall to get this corrected ASAP at their expense.

- , Columbia, SC, USA

Aug 012009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L

I thought the crack was due to my latch randomly locking itself and when I would attempt to close the latch, it would hit hard against the latch and bounce back up again. So I never gave it another thought until I pulled up behind my coworker that also has an explorer and mentioned to her that we have the same crack. She told me alot of explorers do and ever since that conversation, I can't believe how many I see just in and around the St. Louis area with the same crack. My kids even point them out to me when driving around and now it has become kind of a game to check every explorer we see for the crack. There are so many, we have lost count.

When is FORD going to recall this item? It is extremely expensive to have it fixed. A good friend of mine owns a Maaco and I asked him if he sees this come into his shop and he told me that he has had a fair amount come in for this crack repair. C'mon FORD, step up and take care of you loyal American buying customers!

- , Eureka, MO, USA

Nov 022008

Explorer XL 3.2L

One day I came out to my Ford Explorer and noticed that there was a crack in the back near the Ford emblem. I kind of ignored it, but started noticing it on a lot of Explorers around town. A lady stopped me at the post office one day. She was in an Explorer and said she noticed my crack. She had one too, in the same area. She said she had written a letter to Ford to try and get them to fix it. Another man told my husband that he had the same issue and Ford fixed it free. I need to find out how to get mine fixed.

- , Douglasville, GA, USA

Apr 012010

Explorer XLT V6

Park my truck at work in parking lot ,day was sunny and hot only to come and see the panel below the rear window bulging off the glass (rear window) like some kind of a bow and arrow nightmare out of hell . Most of my co-workers and friends saw this and I was so embarrassed : because I had bosted to them how good ford was and how we should be patriotic and buy American;to be honest ; I was so naive it was there and then I found out that the panel was made from cheap plastic glued on with some cheap glue by FORD . My last grand child would have known better and he does not have an engineering degree. I honestly believe in my heart that FORD should fix this SCREW UP regardless of the warranty expiration on my truck .I bought this truck on credit and I am still making payments ;can you imagine how I feel when I am making my car note payment. FORD we need justice , my eyes are now open and I am seeing this problem over and over as I look around and I am talking to these owners ;FORD do the right thing.

- , Greenbelt, MD, USA

Jun 112010

Explorer Limited V8

Just bought this vehicle used today. Car salesman said this crack was a "Recall" by the Ford Company and all I had to do was take it to a Ford dealership. Guess I should have gotten that in writing! Went online to check the recall and none was listed. Guess I should have checked that too before I purchased the vehicle! Don't I have 72 hours to change my mind on any contract signed?

- , Seymour, IN, USA

Aug 272009

Explorer V6

Walked out to my car from the grocery store and thought someone had used a majic marker on the panel below the back window. On closer inspection noted ot was actually a crack. The car only had 47,000 miles. Whats up with that?

- , Tarpon Springs, Fl, USA

Jun 172010

Explorer XLT V6

Just wanted to chalk mine up so its on file. Does water get in? Can I replace and fix it myself easily?

- , Panama City, Ancon, Panama

Sep 092009

Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition V6

Bought this car used but in excellent condition. Looked brand new when we bought it. About 2-3 months later, one day I just happened to notice a crack in the panel below the rear glass. Not much to mention at first. Now, with the heat of SC and time, the panel now bows out from the back of the car and is definitely an eye sore! Makes my nice car look ugly. Hoping to get it fixed, I just don't think with so many complaints on the same issue the $ should come out of my pocket. Not to mention all the Fords like mine that I now notice with the same problem that haven't complained.

- , Darlington, SC, USA

Jan 052010

Explorer LX

I suddenly noticed the crack one morning on the back panel, and then started noticing them on every other Explorer I see!!! I can't believe that Ford won't do the right thing and recall this---OBVIOUSLY there is a problem with the way they were MADE!!!! SO SAD that we the people get stuck once again having to pay for something that we have no control over...

- , Dacula, GA, USA

Feb 012010

Explorer XLT V6

Same issues as the others. Came out one morning and saw the crack. Shame on Ford for not fixing this obvious defect!

- , Middletown, DE, US

Feb 112010

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Hey: I'm writing about the rear door on my 2004 F Explorer. a 7inch crack under the rear window to the right of hatch handle has come from no wear and with no signs of contact from anything. Now that its on my Explorer I notice it on several others. these other explorers are also clean and with out other damage except for the crack.could this be faulty material or plastics. ? PS this crack is always on the plastic panel under the window and may be to the left or right of the hatch release handle.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 012009

Explorer XLT

Walked outside on day and there was a huge crack under the back window. Just another problem that Ford refuses to fix and admits no fault to even though 1 out of every 3 explorers I see on the road has the same problem. They should be sued for having the slogan "Built Ford Tough"

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 182008

Explorer XLT

so I thought it would be nifty to park next to the exact same car as mine once a long time ago in this parking lot right? so I do, and when I was walking back to my car I noticed that the crack in the rear plastic window panel I thought I was responsible for, was IDENTICAL to the crack in the persons explorer next to me. I thought it might be a coinsidence but after looking closely...it was TO THE T!!!!! Then I found this site. Thanks ford.

- , Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Feb 112010

Explorer V6

Same problem as everyone else has described. Just closed hatchback one cold evening and crack, there it was. I was astounded. Like everyone else I too, started looking at every explorer and have been amazed at how many have the same crack just below the rear window next to the emblem. I haven't call Ford yet but will be interested in what they say. Wonder if there will be a class action law suit. Should be!

- , Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Nov 012007

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

I am so frustrated!! A week after I bought my car, it cracked right under the back exterior window. The dealership would not fix it and toold me it would take $1000 to fix!! That is ridiculious!!!! Ford needs to do something about all of these complaints or they will lose many many buyers!!

- , Tyler, TX, USA

Feb 062010

Explorer XLT V6

Same issue as the others. Came out one day and found the crack. Unbelievable that this isn't covered considering this is a consistent issue for many.

- , Middletown, DE, US

Dec 012009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

i too have the rear plastic panel that is cracked by the emblem-i have taken it to the dealer and same response is there is no recall-this is also making my liftgate ajar light and sensor go off repeatedly-very disappointed with the response from Ford and the dealer-i have also noticed numerous other Ford and Mercury suv with the same problem-this also adds to the rear transmission that has had to be repaired 2x already-any updates from Ford suggestions

- , Greenwood, IN, US

Apr 012010

Explorer XSL 4.0L

ford need to fork the money out like Toyota and fix this problem for once!!!!!!

- , Ila, GA, USA

Jul 262008

Explorer XLT 4.6L V6

When the crack first occurred, we contacted the Ford dealer where we purchased this truck. We asked them if there was a recall on this part because we had seen several in our area that were cracked.We were told there was no recall and the part was not under warranty because it is not a drive train or electrical issue. We decided we did not have the money to repair it at the time because we were expecting a baby at the time. Just 1 month after the crack appeared, the back glass shattered and fell out! As it turns out, the back glass runs under the fiberglass and after you open and close the top portion of the hatch too many times, the glass can not hold up to the pressure and busts!! We now have a junkyard hatch on the back because after the glass breaks it costs about $600.00 to repair! This problem SUCKS and Ford will not fix it until someone is killed!

- , Allentown, PA, USA

Feb 102010

Explorer XLT V6

This is an obvious problem that Ford needs to address to keep customers happy. I've seen countless numbers of Explorers around the state that has the same exact problem. How about not spending some money on an ad campaign and spend the money fixing customers cars that have an issue like this one. Good PR would be worth a lot more than someone watching a commercial on TV! If Ford doesn't do anything, this may be the last ford that I own!

- , Clearwater, FL, USA