ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2015 Ford Focus transmission problems: shuddering

Shuddering

2015 Ford Focus (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2015 Ford Focus & its "Powershift" transmission has a defect trend where the car shudders when accelerating, especially when starting uphill.

Most owners have reported their Ford Focus remains driveable while the vehicle is still at low mileage, but the shuddering is annoying & unpleasant & may reduce the resale value of the vehicle.

However, owners of higher-mileage vehicles from earlier 3rd generation Focus model years report transmission failure & a host of other major & expensive transmission-related problems. Potential buyers beware.

7.8

2. clutch out of specs (1 reports)
2015 Ford Focus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Ford Focus:

2015 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 072016

Focus

The car shudders terribly 90% of the time when taking off from a stopped position. It's worse if you're stopped on an incline (uphill).

- Gennise B., St, US

Feb 012017

Focus ES

My 18 year old daughter drives this car in college. Have taken it to local Ford dealer 3 times, "clutch" has been replaced, still having issues. I talked to regional customer service manager. She tells me, that's what your warranty is for......I should not have to take a car back 4+ times for same issue!!!!

- Brandie M., Deering, US

Jun 152017

Focus

Bought car new. Been having issues since we have had car. They said the transmission does that and nothing to worry about. Took to ford dealer on 8/1/17 and they said clutches not in specs. Not under warranty and would cost $3,000.00 to fix. I know the problem was caused by the problems with the other problems the transmission has and should be repaired under warranty.

- randytaylor711rt, West Blocton, US

Oct 272016

Focus SE

It is very frustrating to invest in a vehicle to find miles later the, so called reputable Ford Company, installed faulty transmissions just so they could make a buck. When I purchased this car I was a single Mother of three and had to, and still do, rely on my transportation I invested in. The Ford Company should have to replace the transmission and cover all the suffering the buyers have had to deal with because of Ford's greedy desire to make money off of the consumer. I work hard for my money and every penny counts to raise my kids and I shouldn't be out any money because of a greedy Ford Company. My transmission jumps, jerks and hesitates whenever it feels like it. No warnings and no lights, just when it decides to do its own thing. Ford Motor You Suck!!

- Sheryl M., Austin, US

Apr 132017

Focus ES 2.0L

There was an irregular shuttering of transmission performance, along with the general ratting noise that I understand from Ford mechanics is a normal occurrence in these models.

- Darwin S., Hazelwood, MO, US

May 132017

Focus SE 2.0L I4

I bought this used 2015 Ford Focus for my daughter's high school graduation. We are a Ford family and currently have this lemon (Ford Focus), 2016 F250 Platinum, 2014 Ford Mustang, and a 2011 Ford Escape XLS. This is the first Ford that has ever given us trouble.

Unfortunately, I had to trailer the Focus back with me the day after I gave it to my daughter. The transmission was slipping so badly that I was almost unable to get it onto the trailer. You could imagine how upsetting this situation was for my daughter as well as myself.

The dealership reprogrammed the car which helped some initially (the car still shuddered and I was told that my daughter would have to drive it hard). I don't know about anyone else with teenagers but, tell a teenager to step on the gas everywhere she is going is not ideal! This could easily result in her losing control specifically in wet conditions.

After reading all the posts on-line, it is obvious that Ford has not developed a REAL solution to this problem yet. There is no reason to place a double-clutch transmission in an economy car. This is not a race car! Since I have purchased many Fords throughout my life, I expect that Ford should take care of such a problem! Customer retention should be on the top of their list of Business Priorities!

Regards,

Randall

- Randall T., Spring, TX, US

Nov 162016

Focus SE 1.6L

In good faith, I purchased my Ford Focus from the dealership in May 2015.Wheel noises, shuddering loss of acceleration started in September 2016. Back to the dealership, was told the car was fine but there is a design issue with the manual transmission and the electronic clutch , this has been known to cause some issues ! So I asked, if its a proven design fault why is there no recall ? and the service engineer actually stated that's because it is a design fault that cannot be fixed and here read this copy of their disclaimer. What a crock !!!!

The car continued to deteriorate, making more grinding noises and more shuddering and the odd clunk , I went back to dealership to finally have a new clutch fitted under warranty in November 2016. On collection was told by the service engineer " to drive it like I stole it" so that the re-set computer would recognize me.....Really I live in sleep town with speed limits of 35mph ! Things did seem to settle down until April this year when again it started to have the exact same issues. Finally taking it back to the dealership today, to be told there is nothing wrong with it apart from the design fault that cannot be fixed. I am devastated that (1) I am a single Mum (2) It is still on finance (3) I am paying for a LEMON (4) The salesman never said at the time of purchase they there were any issues or faults with this car, not that he is going to because it is all about commission that's seems almost like fraud to me Its wrong wrong wrong !!

- Sue S., Jupiter, US

Sep 142016

Focus SE 23,648

Bought my car new from dealership September 2015 and was told that the transmission (on the test drive) took a bit to get used to but the shudder pattern was normal for the dual shift type it is. Continued to happen on occasion and on each service appointment was told it passed testing until September 2016. They tested it and said it needed the clutch and seals replaced because it failed. Took several weeks for parts to come in and then the dealership kept it for 2 weeks but it was "fixed". I called less than 4 weeks later with continued shuddering. I have brought it back to the dealership for transmission testing and normal service (oil change) appointments since October 2016. They have checked it twice since the "fix" was done and said it passed testing but on the third check they said it failed and once again the clutch and seals need to be replaced...AGAIN, the same parts that were replaced less than 8 months ago and now the parts are back ordered with no ETA of availability. Here we go again with the same issue, the parts that were replaced now have failed and must be done again. I will update when I get a call that there are parts coming.

- Kelli S., Lake Charles, US

Feb 012017

Focus SE 4.0L

JUST BEGINNING THIS NIGHTMARE. FEEL VERY DECEIVED BY DEALER. FIRST APPT. TO DIAGNOSE WHATS WRONG IS MARCH 16 2017. WE PURCHASED VEHICLE IN JAN.2017 WITH A CARFAX REPORT THAT REPORTED NO PROBLEMS.. NOW WE ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH THE DUEL CLUTCH TRANSMISSION AS EVERY ONE ELSE. THIS SUCKS, I AM SO UNHAPPY BECAUSE WE REALLY LIKED THE CAR.

- Peg G., SOLON, ME, US

Nov 302016

Focus

TOOK IN ON NOV. 30. WAS TOLD THEIR TRANSMISSION GUY WAS NOT IN FOR A MONTH. MADE APPOINTMENT FOR DEC. 21. WHILE IN OFFICE I BECAME VERY UPSET AT BEING TOLD I HAVE TO WAIT WEEKS (ALMOST A MONTH) FOR SERVICE. WAS TOLD IT IS NORMAL TO SHUDDER AND SHAKE, HESITATE ETC. I WAS GIVEN A LIST OF DRIVING TIPS. WHAT A CROCK. HOW TO DRIVE MY NEW CAR. NONE OF THIS INFO IS IN MY OWNERS MANUAL BY THE WAY. BROUGHT THE CAR BACK FOR DEC. APPOINTMENT AND THEEY HAD RESET THE COMPUTER AGAIN.

- Patty B., Fullerton, CA, US

Sep 142016

Focus

BOUGHT 2015 MODEL BRAND NEW IN LATE APRIL 2016. DROVE FINE FOR A FEW MONTHS, ANYTHING OFF I ATTRIBUTED TO NEW CAR BREAKING IN. THEN IT STARTED VIBRATING, RACING, SHUDDERING, HESITATING. TOOK TO DEALER THEY HAD FOR A COUPLE DAYS TO DIAGNOSE. THEY REPRGRAMMED THE COMPUTER. SEEMED OK FOR AWHILE

- Patty B., Fullerton, CA, US

May 122016

Focus Titaniaum 2.0L

I Own a 2014 focus and the transmission messed up at 6000 miles. The dealership rebuilt it. Less than 6000 thousand miles later it started to shudder again. I traded in it on a 2015 focus because I was told they had fixed the problem. I was willing to pay the extra money for higher payments to get rid of that lemon. About a year later the same thing started. My transmission started to shudder and rattle. I took it to the dealer they verified the concern. They told me it was normal. I called Ford motor company and was told it was normal. they think people are stupid. Everyone knows a car isn't supposed to shake and rattle when you take off. They don't know how to fix the problem so they lie to everyone.my parents have been through the same thing with their 2014 and 2015 focus.everyone in my family owns a ford because I worked at a ford dealership for about 14 years.They have lost our business. We will be doing business elsewhere.

- John L., Henderson, NC, USA

Dec 302016

Focus SE 2.0L V4

This 2015 Ford Focus se lurches so bad it will cause you to rear end the car in fornt of you. the clutch in auto burns. you have to balance the brake and gas to keep from lunging. it will dump the clutch so the car will drop below 500 rpms and shudder badly, the brakes will get firm and you can't stop the car & the car has a message pop up saying transmission is over heating. for no reason the transmission will slip. I have taken it to the dealer 8 or 9 times since december every week they can't figure out the issue. they pay for the rental, the car is under warranty, but i did not buy this car to have it in the shop every week. they have it for a week, I get it back and later the car starts to act up again. I take it back to the dealer and they have it for another week and same thing over and over. i am tired of doing this. if they ever fix it properly i am going to get rid of this car and get something different. I will never buy another ford again they are pieces of junk. everyone needs to stay away from ford. I really doubt they will figure out my car cause they have had it 8 times and say they can't find anything.

- Daniel C., Marietta, US

Jun 012016

Focus SE

Purchased the car in Dallas TX as a pre-owned vehicle. Use the car for Uber and not only did I notice the shuttering but had several riders/passengers mention the somewhat skipping of the transmission.

At times I would pull off from being stopped at a light or stop sign and the car felt like the wheel were off the road, I know this sounds weird but this is how it felt to me!

Took it back to the dealership and they had it for a week, replaced the clutch drove the car for another 3 months and it started again. Taking it back again after the Holidays.

- Marla A., Fort Worth, TX, USA

Nov 092016

Focus SE 2.0L

I took it in for the first service. Tried explaining to the service guy. He tried telling me it needs to be driven a certain way. But we were cut off by an angry customer busting in the office yelling about something. I am due for the next service and will see what kind of crap I am fed this time.

Overall it is a great little car. But the transmission feels like it is about to jump out the car. It only does it at low speeds and does not do it all the time. Could cause a problem getting into traffic. It may also cause another problem later down the road as something broken.

- Keith J., Ridgeville, SC, USA

Jan 062017

Focus

transmission shudders from a stop to acceleration

I purchased the 2015 Ford Focus 2015 SE with 7100 miles on it. During the test drive everyting was OK, After reciving the car and getting it to temperature on the freeway, I entered stop and go traffic and the tranmission jumped all over the place, the RPM's would go between 500 and 2500 and the car would not accelerate.

- tometec, Marysville, WA, USA

Sep 292016

Focus

This is the SECOND time that I have had this problem...at this time, I am STILL trying to get into a loaner car, because both AutoNation Ford Dealerships, (Bryant Irwin and Campus Drive, Fort Worth, TX), do not like to return phone calls and even though I was put into a loaner the 1st time, via Automaton Bryant Irwin, they did not fix the issue, I get horrible gas mileage, the car "crumbles" or "shutters", EACH time it's given gas!!!

- slllyon, Fort Worth, TX, USA

Nov 162016

Focus SE 2.0L

Bought my daughter a 2015 Focus SE. This car was purchased brand new. Upon the test drive, it accelerated perfect. Hell it only had 5 miles on. Again, my daughter who is 18 drives this car. It's supposed to last her through college and hopefully longer. After about 5,000 miles she told me that it felt like the car was vibrating when she "hit the gas". So I drove it and realized that the transmission felt like it was skipping. Took it to the dealer and they told me that it was normal. What? Wait, normal? This is not normal. Service adviser explained to me that the transmission is supposed to function like a manual transmission. I told him that's great, but this is not normal. So I was like whatever fine. Kept doing it. Took it back and told them, THIS IS NOT NORMAL!!!! Look into the issue please. Called me a few hours later. Nothing is wrong. Our tech drove it and ran a diagnostic test and came back fine. Finally I took it to a Ford dealer that a friend of mine's brother was a transmission tech. He looked at it and said, yep it's not functioning correctly. You need the clutches replaced. "I see it all the time". I'll have it done by tomorrow morning. That was at 9,500 miles. Guess what? 12,000 miles and shifts smooth like butter. Now I have a piece of mind knowing that my daughter won't be stranded because of a faulty clutch. So if you're having this same issue, make them replace the clutch in the transmission. Hope this helps some of you out there.

- Jose M., Elyria, OH, US

Jul 312015

Focus 2.0L

This is the most awful thing. I bought a fully loaded brand new car and it jumps around like crazy. This needs to be recalled. look at all the people that are unhappy. COME ON FORD. IT NEVER SHIFTS SMOOTHLY.

- Nichole D., Fairfield, CA, USA

Jul 012015

Focus

I was sold this vehicle by Ted Russell Ford in Knoxville, TN., knowing full well that there was a problem with the transmission. It took almost 7 months before I got someone in the service department to acknowledge what was wrong. Since then it has come to light that the 2012-2015 ford focus vehicles are all experiencing the same issue. Since then it has been found that the problem is more bad manufacturing of the clutch with no immediate fix. I have had the clutch replaced twice, and two transmission module updates done, and still no relief. Tried to get Ford corporate involved and they will only acknowledge what the dealership says.

The dealership has done nothing but jerk me around on the issue and no resolution available. I've been told to "keep driving my car like it is until we get a fix". If anyone knows of a lawsuit for the 2015 ford focus I would love to know about it to be included.

- Von V., Knoxville, TN, USA