- December 6: About 1.4 Million Takata Non-Azide Driver Inflators Recalled recalls | 8 days ago
- November 12: Honda Recalls Passports and Pilots For Missing Welds recalls | 32 days ago
- November 4: Honda CR-V Infotainment Lawsuit Says Display Screens Malfunction news | 40 days ago
- November 3: Honda CR-V Windshield Crack Leads To Lawsuit news | 41 days ago
- October 9: Recall: 2019 Honda CR-V Owner's Manual Has Wrong Info recalls | 66 days ago
NHTSA — Power Train: Automatic Transmission Problems
2002 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 17)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.
- Crashes / Fires:
- 3 / 1
- Injuries / Deaths:
- 3 / 0
- Average Mileage:
- 84,983 miles
About These NHTSA Complaints:
This data is from the NHTSA — the US gov't agency tasked with vehicle safety. Complaints are spread across multiple & redundant categories, & are not organized by problem.
So how do you find out what problems are occurring? For this NHTSA complaint data, the only way is to read through the comments below. Any duplicates or errors? It's not us.